Trailer brake controller

747 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by will.mcg
canadianAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Possible dumb question on trailer brake controller.

Was looking at buying and installing a ford oem brake controller but noticed that the previous owner (bought used) left everything from an aftermarket controller except the controller itself (mount/wiring).

Now I obviously don't know what controller was used so would any after market controller connect and work or do I just need to start over?

txyaloo
AG
You should be able to splice in any controller. Most only use 4 wires. Fords should also be prewired so you can get an adapter that just plugs in. I'm a fan of Tekonsha Prodigy P3 controllers
BrazosDog02
AG
Oem is superior to any aftermarket. If you have the option, it's worth it. Year make and model will be helpful. All wiring fr oem should be there from factory. Mine was for my 2005 F250...would expect same on anything newer. Plug and play aside from enabling in software. 1ags can drop the knowledge.
canadianAg
AG
It's a 2010 f150 xlt. Every video I've seen makes it look like all wiring should be ready for the oem setup but I have a plastic bag with instructions, wiring harness, fuse and a relay that don't appear to have ever been used that came with the truck
robertcope
What year? In my 2012 Ford, the wiring was all there for an aftermarket unit. I bought the right cable, bought a nice unit (Tekonsha P3), and was on my way after a bit of setup. I'm not sure I agree that OEM is always best, but I don't have enough experience to argue.

Here's the cable I used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NZQIDE/

Seems like comments there indicate folks have used it on their 2010 F150 with success.
will.mcg
AG
Eh, I dunno what I was thinking.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.