2006 Silverado....decision time...having differential problems

644 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Corps_Ag12
Aggieangler93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am in Central Texas. I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado with 236K on it. I am starting to have issues with the differential. I am trying to decide what to do.

Normally, I would sell/trade the truck, as my son will be driving starting in about a year, and I would like for him to have the truck to learn on and drive through high school. With the high mileage I have on it, I am not sure how much longer I can limp it along. It has an oil leak, and a noisy lifter. I know it needs a clock spring, which I planned to replace myself this summer.

How bad will a differential repair/replace be? I think the truck is only valued at around 3-6K depending on condition. Mine is probably in the lower end of that spectrum.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Bob_Ag
AG
When is the last time, if ever, the diffs have been serviced? Have you tried just swapping out the gear oil? What are the symptoms?

If you needed a gear job, the parts are not that expensive but it's a decent amount of labor hours at a shop. It's been awhile since I was quoted for a re-gear, but I think it was around a grand for a Jeep Wrangler.

Ag for Life
AG
Give it to your son and have him research, diagnose, and fix it himself. This sounds like a perfect way to introduce him to wrenching. I would definitely not sell it if it were me. I regret selling my 2000 Silvy at 176K for $4500 back in the day. I would love to have it now as I knew it's history from mile 11 on.
Silvy
AG
Depends on what's broken, if you have the G80 RPO code (check glovebox), I'd bet that's your issue. Shouldn't cost much to have a new diff carrier (Truetrac) thrown in, part itself is $440-ish. Engine stuff is easy if you have a set of metric socket set & a torque wrench.

You can find a complete 5.3 for $500 no problem brah
Corps_Ag12
AG
Keep it and have your son rebuild it as needed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.