Buying Car Out of State from Private Seller

1,657 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Heights Ag 06
Heights Ag 06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need some Automotive board expertise. I am buying a car from out of state (California) from a private seller and and would love to talk to someone that has done this multiple times or works for a dealer that does this frequently (FLATOUT?). We have agreed on price and a PPI at a shop I am comfortable with - my real concerns are around the transaction itself (logistics of sending money, receiving title, etc.) and how not to get screwed. I also need advice on shipping as there is no way I'm going to drive the car back from San Francisco.

Thanks in advance and I promise a Rule 1 when I get the car.
Complete Idiot
Have him print, sign, and scan a sales agreement stating vehicle, VIN, agreed to price, payment arrangements, etc. Have him acknowledge that and send via email. You should be able to arrange with his bank to have payment wired into his account, maybe don't do that until shipper is there and verifies car condition and vin on pickup. I think you said a shop already inspected it, which is good as well. I've used USHIP for shipping, you enter the route and people bid on the shipment. Personally I work with independent shippers only rather than the large shipping brokers, I can talk directly to the driver that way. However, some of that experience is based on history going back some numbers of year, when I shipped a few months ago I did not see a lot of independents bidding - only brokers.
txyaloo
AG
Make sure you get the seller to send a 130-U with the title. You'll need it to register and title the car in Texas
aggiepaintrain
AG
ebay offers some buyer protection in case you never get the car or title
it's age dependent though.

He would have to list it, you hit buy it now and there you go.

Otherwise I would not do it.

TxAg20
AG
It might be worth a few hundred dollars to ask an attorney. A friend of mine bought an almost new Range Rover from a high-end reseller in Austin. He never received the title. Now his $100K+ Range Rover sits in his garage because he's afraid the seller's bank will reposes it. He's working with an attorney, but it's been a very slow process.
Heights Ag 06
AG
Thanks all for the advice! After doing more research on everything, I think I feel more comfortable going to California and exchanging Cashiers Check for the title and car after the PPI is complete. Then I am going to make a road trip out of it and drive the car back over a long weekend.
Matsui
AG
That's the best move
Heights Ag 06
AG
Update - thanks all for the advice - the transaction went smoothly! I ended up flying up to San Francisco, bought the car in person and shipped it back via enclosed trailer.

A bit off-topic, but I saw some posts about a possible "window tint party" - let me know if that happens as the car has no tint at all right now and I imagine that will be brutal come summer in Houston.

Rule #1
2014 Audi RS5 (CPO)
Suzuka Grey Metallic
Sport Exhaust
Black Optics Package
B&O Sound System
Mods (this was selling point): Ohlins Raceline Coilovers, Eventuri Intakes, rear sway bar, cross brace, SS brake lines, adjustable control arms, transmission mounts

Car is replacing a 981 Cayman - we are having our third child so time for a "dad car" that can also do HPDE track duty.

Heights Ag 06
AG

https://imgur.com/a/Ns8SV
The Wonderer
AG
Heights Ag 06
AG
Thanks Wonderer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.