Power steering fluid fix

1,418 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by planoaggie123
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a major steering fluid leak. Is this something that generally requires extensive repair? We noticed late last week steering was acting a little weird. We replaced fluid this afternoon after church. Just checked and the reservoir was empty.

Edit: any recommendations on where to get fixed in Plano area?
aggiepaintrain
AG
Could be a hose, or if you are unlucky you will have to replace your rack and pinion ($1000+ at the dealer)
JP76
Are you seeing fluid underneath on the ground when you park ?
planoaggie123
AG
i am not currently seeking fluid on the ground when i park. I keep checking...
MouthBQ98
AG
I had a hose leaking slowly on my nissan. I finally got annoyed enough to order the $200 replacement hose assembly and replace it myself. Took a couple of hours.

I imagine replacing it will likely be similar unless it is a power steering pump gasket or seal leak.
planoaggie123
AG
I can do some basic stuff on cars but honestly don't really trust myself with hoses, etc so we are taking it in this afternoon. The mechanic said he may not be able to fix it today but he can see if he can temporarily minimize the issue so we can drive it for a day or two until he can work the car in...
planoaggie123
AG
....and mechanic said he sees nothing wrong...apparently the fluid was there when he checked today and he saw no signs of leaks etc.

Am i doing something wrong by checking the level when car is off? I know i am not imagining things. That reservoir was 100% empty 2 times yesterday. I trust the mechanic but i am just so confused now...
planoaggie123
AG
...and its the rack and pinion...

going to sell one of my kids tonight to pay for the repair....
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
planoaggie123 said:

...and its the rack and pinion...

going to sell one of my kids tonight to pay for the repair...
1300 bucks probably.....
aggiepaintrain
AG
atleast give me a blue star
planoaggie123
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Blue star given.

Jeep dealer said it could range from $1,600 - $2,000 (i had to call and ask even though I knew they would be high...makes me feel like I am getting a "deal").

The guy i went to will do it for $1,300 and said he would try and get it closer to $1,200. After a trip to the ER for my kid last week this is turning into an expensive 2018....
BEaggie08
AG
planoaggie123 said:

aggiepaintrain said:

Blue star given.

Jeep dealer said it could range from $1,600 - $2,000 (i had to call and ask even though I knew they would be high...makes me feel like I am getting a "deal").

The guy i went to will do it for $1,300 and said he would try and get it closer to $1,200. After a trip to the ER for my kid last week this is turning into an expensive 2018....
That's rough man. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the year gets a little better for you.
planoaggie123
AG
BEaggie08 said:

planoaggie123 said:

aggiepaintrain said:

Blue star given.

That's rough man. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the year gets a little better for you.
Appreciate it. Ended up being $1,190 with the only negative was it took 1.5 days to fix and we need to take it back on Monday to have him "refine" the alignment a little.

Not a fun start to the year but looking back we had a pretty good run the past few years so overall much to be thankful for.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.