Diesel engine problem

1,497 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CATAGBQ04
BoerneGator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a four cylinder Waukesha VRD 220 (diesel) engine that is getting water into the crankcase, and I've determined it's not through the head gasket. Removed the water pump and poured water thru its inlet and it immediately trickled down into the pan. Engine runs good otherwise. Anyone have any ideas about this conundrum? The engine sat for years, and is full of rust.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
Turbo or no?
BoerneGator
AG
No. This is on a 70's era Galion 503L motorgrader
ShaggyAggie01
AG
I would guess a cracked head then. If it was turbo, I'd look at the intercooler. Not knowledgable specifically on waukesha, but do know diesel engines fairly well in general.
BoerneGator
AG
We've (my mechanic) ruled out head or gasket issue, because there is no white smoke nor evidence of it. Also, with the engine not running, we poured water into the block thru the water pump inlet port and water immediately trickles into the pan.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
Hmm.. oil cooler then?
BoerneGator
AG
Nope. Removed and checked it out as well. First thing he suspected. That's an easy fix. We're leaning to cracked block due to ice/freezing.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
Has to be the block then.
Probably swap in a short block since you've checked everything else it seems.
snaglepuss
Boat Anchor
BoerneGator
AG
I'm now thinking/hoping I can replace seals on the sleeves, so plan to pull the head and inspect the sleeves.
CATAGBQ04
AG
Sleeved engine or solid block?

Sound like a bad liner seal or cracked liner...but I just know Cat stuff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.