Selling a vehicle with collision history

1,970 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CBarrett12
CBarrett12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm wanting to sell my wife's 2013 Yukon Denali soon, but we had a collision with extensive repair work on it a couple years ago. I kept all the records, etc. Is there anything I should do in listing it for sale other than specifically note in my ad that it has a collision history with records? I assume a dealer is going to rake me over on trade-in which is why I want to try and sell it outright, but also want to be very fair and fully disclose everything. Aside from the history, the car is in great shape with 96,xxx miles. Any advice appreciated.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Have you actually run a carfax on it?
CBarrett12
AG
No...but we did take it to a dealership when looking at new a few weeks ago and the offer was low b/c of wreck history. I was upfront but assumed they ran it anyway during their evaluation.
aggiebq03+
Take it to CarMax and see what they offer.
locogringo
AG
Post details here about the collision and specs on the vehicle and the ballpark of price you want to get for it. Maybe someone on here is interested ( nudge nudge, wink wink)
Flaith
AG
post on CL or Letgo, mention accident history with pictures/details of repairs

shave some off the KBB price, and wait for a buyer.

Get a Carmax offer if you want to know what your floor price should be
BeastmodeAg
AG
Most people will be shady even if your honest, it's unfortunate these days.

On a side note why are you selling if it's in good shape?
CBarrett12
AG
Wife has been complaining of more odd noises etc since the repair and I'm finally giving in. My rationale is I like to have 1 of our 2 vehicles well under 100,000 miles as our family hauler. My truck is older and has more miles.

White Denali loaded out with every feature I believe they offered for the 2013 models except AWD. This one is standard RWD but has the 6.2 engine, dvd, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, etc.

Had a car pull into our lane causing damage to the front right bumper/wheel/panel area. Both airbags deployed. I have all the service records in a file at home. KBB comes in around 22k depending on condition which I would assume still ranks as fair/good rather than very good/excellent even though it's very clean. Autotrader search shows them about 24-27k with similar mileage.

On the carmax note...anyone have any thoughts on purchasing one of their vehicles? Good experiences? Stay away?
Flaith
AG
I'd purchase a Carmax vehicle in a heartbeat, assuming the price is right
aggiepaintrain
AG
post the vin, I'll run a carfax for you.

if it shows airbag deployment you are sunk
The Wonderer
AG
Post on CL
Don't say anything about the wreck unless asked if it was in a wreck, then offer all pic and repair documents
Sell to someone that doesn't do their homework
CBarrett12
AG
vin: 1gks1eef1dr193944

All this because an uninsured motorist decided her lane wasn't moving quick enough :/
tx1c
AG
It shows up on here: https://www.vehiclehistory.com/vehicle/land.php
Flaith
AG
CBarrett12 said:

vin: 1gks1eef1dr193944

All this because an uninsured motorist decided her lane wasn't moving quick enough :/
did you go after a diminished value claim?

statute of limitations is 2 years in Texas

http://www.autoloss.com/Diminished-Value/State-Laws-Related-to-Diminished-Value/Diminished-Value-claim-in-Texas.html#.Wn3qpoQrJpg

Quote:

In the state of Texas, if you are in a auto wreck and the accident was not your fault you are entitled to file a insurance claim for Diminished Value. The statute of limitations on filing a Diminished Value claim in Texas with your insurance is two years from the date of loss. In order to recover the losses you must have a diminished value appraisal completed by a professional automobile appraisal company, such as Autoloss. Also, if the other party in Texas does not have auto insurance and you carry uninsured/ underinsured motorist coverage you may be able to claim diminished value under your policy.
CBarrett12
AG
Haha, this went from bad to worse. No, I haven't heard of such. And surprisingly enough my insurance rep at the time didn't mention :/

Still within my 2 years but I assume you still have to be insured under the carrier when the wreck occurred, which I am not.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Carfax shows airbag deployment too.

Make the diminished value claim before you trade it.

AggieGunslinger
AG
I think you can still claim it under the old insurance if it is within the 2 year window. I think my parent went through something like this, though they might have still had a different policy with that company.
CBarrett12
AG
Wow, how is this diminished value claim stuff not more readily known?

Have a claim started already...not getting my hopes up but sounds positive so far. My wife will never knock my TexAgs obsession again, maybe!
03_Aggie
CBarrett12 said:

Haha, this went from bad to worse. No, I haven't heard of such. And surprisingly enough my insurance rep at the time didn't mention :/

Still within my 2 years but I assume you still have to be insured under the carrier when the wreck occurred, which I am not.

You do not have to still be with the insurance company. One thing you might want to look into though is whether or not you signed any sort agreement releasing them from any future claims related to the accident.
hatchback
AG
CBarrett12 said:

Wow, how is this diminished value claim stuff not more readily known?

Because it's a huge pain in the ass. I had to trade-in my car in order to get the full diminished value claim. Get a third party to come appraise your car in person or else the insurance will likely not pay.
Flaith
AG
Might be worth it to lawyer up if there's any doubt in the claim language

Insurance companies will NEVER mention diminished value claims... ESPECIALLY for un(der)insured motorists, since they pay for it out of their own pockets
aggiepaintrain
AG
shoot for $3-$5k

also get a bid from carmax and TDA , even if they say they don't want it get something in writing.
The Wonderer
AG
Flaith said:

Might be worth it to lawyer up if there's any doubt in the claim language

Insurance companies will NEVER mention diminished value claims... ESPECIALLY for un(der)insured motorists, since they pay for it out of their own pockets
I know some lawyers that handle auto DV claims if interested.
CBarrett12
AG
Yes, interested in the contacts for DV claims. Has anyone here been successful with your DV claim?

The reviews for the above AutoLoss company are not stellar...anyone have any insight?
BeastmodeAg
AG
Yikes I hope this works out for or else you'll take a huge hit to get rid of that thing. Air bags going off are nearly always totaled.

Looking forward to good news for you!
CBarrett12
AG
Bump for DV claim contacts and as I stew on this over the weekend...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.