Truck shutting off while in drive

2,922 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by easttexasaggie04
kubiak03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Twice now my F150's engine has shut off while stopped, in drive while the engine is running.

I can put it in park and restart.

What would this be about?

03_Aggie
Assuming it is not a model that comes equipped with the auto start/stop feature?
tailgatetimer10
AG
Can't help but to ask: does it have the stop-start technology?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Maybe there's a problem with the booooooost thingy.
kubiak03
AG
Does not have start/stop and is the 5.0
will.mcg
AG
EGR valve?
vansprinkle
AG
kubiak03 said:

I have a buddy with a 3.5 boost who had this happen to him last week while driving in Houston traffic. He slowed her off to the side, put in park, started, and took off again. Scared him a bit since his whole family was in the truck and it was at around 6pm on 610.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Clean your throttle body.
Jack Cheese
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

This. What was the idle like before it died? Any sputtering, unevenness? If so, may be a sticky throttle plate.
BosAG06
AG
vansprinkle said:

kubiak03 said:

I have a buddy with a 3.5 boost who had this happen to him last week while driving in Houston traffic. He slowed her off to the side, put in park, started, and took off again. Scared him a bit since his whole family was in the truck and it was at around 6pm on 610.

I had the same thing happen to my brand new at the time '14 3.5 boost with 8k miles on it while we were on our way to Florida. Sitting in traffic and boom, engine dead. Popped it in neutch and it fired back up. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong as there were no codes thrown. I got rid of the truck shortly after as I was also having multiple other issues with it.
TSUAggie
Mine shuts off when slowing down to idle in extreme cold temps. It died on me once last year after I exited off the freeway when the temperature was in the teens and twice this month so far when it was in the teens. Turn the key off and start it back up. Runs perfect otherwise.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
TSUAggie said:

Mine shuts off when slowing down to idle in extreme cold temps. It died on me once last year after I exited off the freeway when the temperature was in the teens and twice this month so far when it was in the teens. Turn the key off and start it back up. Runs perfect otherwise.
Sticky throttle body.

DBW trucks use the Electronic Throttle Body to command idle air function, and if the throttle blade is oily or greasy, it will stick, causing the idle air command function to not work like it should.

I had the same issue with my Toyota Crown in China. Clean the TB and it would idle at 1200 RPM because it had learned that you needed to open the TB more and more to prevent the car from dying.
sts7049
AG
time to sell the truck and buy a new one
JP76
This is a Ford diagnostic code that means it's time to go buy a new tundra
HumbleAg04
AG
I think the problem is the blue oval on the front that says "ford"
vansprinkle
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

I'll let him know!
tlepoC
AG
Camshaft sensor? Mine went out today with same symptoms.
Pepper Brooks
AG
This happens to me about occasionally in my 13 Fusion(2.0 boost). Usually it's when I'm at low/near idle speeds and don't get up to 2nd gear fast enough. I'll feel a shudder and if I don't pump the gas peddle enough it will shut off. Kill the ignition and restart and then it goes again.

So the general consensus is cleaning the throttle body?
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
BoilerAg10 said:

This happens to me about occasionally in my 13 Fusion(2.0 boost). Usually it's when I'm at low/near idle speeds and don't get up to 2nd gear fast enough. I'll feel a shudder and if I don't pump the gas peddle enough it will shut off. Kill the ignition and restart and then it goes again.

So the general consensus is cleaning the throttle body?
I'd say so.

Clean TB, put some BG44K in the tank.

Are you on original plugs as well? I'm seeing 60K is about the time the 4 cylinder ecoboost performance starts to decline.
Ag In Texas
AG
I had a similar situation a couple years ago and it turned out to be the ignition switch going bad. Vibration of driving would cause it to break contact and the engine would die. Put it in park and it would crank back up.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Yea I'm pushing 83k on the odometer so I'm probably over due on the plugs
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
HollywoodBQ
AG
I had a '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee that exhibited the problem you described. I could drive it long distances with no problems but if I stopped at a red light in a small town, the engine would die. I could restart it right away but the next time I stopped at a red light, it would die again.

Had to clean the throttle body every 70,000 miles and the problem cleared right up.
aggie_wes
AG
Agree with throttle body recommendations. Could also be the crank position sensor. I had a 01 Jeep Cherokee that ran fine but would die at idle. CPS was cheap and fixed the issue.
Mookie
AG
1ags favorite diagnosis... too many keys on the key ring?
snaglepuss
Like your user name!
schmellba99
AG
Aggierific said:

Camshaft sensor? Mine went out today with same symptoms.
This. Same thing happened to my old 2001 F250. Would just randomly shut off, really puckered me up a few times driving down the highway.

Ne cam shaft positioning sensor and no more problems. Bought it off of ebay for about $25, took an hour or so to replace. Got a recall letter about 2 weeks later, go figure.
aa1101
AG
this happened to me last year in my 2000 f150 with a 4.6 and it was the EGR valve. quick and cheap fix.
hunterjr81
Drive it like you stole it. I had a dodge that would die on me at a stop light. A few days of pedal to the floor cleared it right up and it never happened again. Blows out all the funk.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Go buy a Tundra. What I did!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.