Subaru Ascent: 2019 3-row SUV for all you moms and dads

4,170 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MouthBQ98
Waltonloads08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That refuse to buy a minivan and can't afford a Highlander.

https://www.subaru.com/ascent

Will probably give it a look-over, my lease on 2016 Volvo XC60 is done in November. Would probably lease and not buy the very 1st year production model.
powerbelly
AG
In before Dave Ramsey acolytes.
GTIAG09
AG
CVT makes the Baby Jesus cry...but I am interested in the 2.4 turbo.
Flaith
AG
there was a thread about this in late Nov

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/2911323/replies/50563179

I still love the comments from the Jalopnik article

https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-subaru-ascent-prepare-to-see-three-row-awd-cr-1820823277
BEaggie08
AG
WaltonLoads08 said:

That refuse to buy a minivan and can't afford a Highlander.

https://www.subaru.com/ascent

Will probably give it a look-over, my lease on 2016 Volvo XC60 is done in November. Would probably lease and not buy the very 1st year production model.
I assume these will be priced about the same as a Highlander, right? 35 - 50k? I've been looking at the Highlander and Acadia, but I've also been aware of the the Ascent's arrival and decided to wait and see.

edit: maybe not on the price. That would make them double the cost of the rest of their lineup. Guess we'll see.
The Lost
powerbelly said:

You mean before the smart people. You don't have to go full on Dave Ramsey to see how dumb leasing is. I'm ok with some debt.
MouthBQ98
AG
For realz? 40-50? I got a 4x4 boosted EL for that money. Less MPG, but much more vehicle.
ChemEAg08
AG
Do you have to be a treehugger to own one?
Woods Ag
AG
Bought a cross trek that the wife drives. Their AWD is amazing in bad conditions. Everything but their WRX is terribly underpowered it seems, and the CVT sucks (no problems, just sucks)

But it gets good gas mileage and it's dependable
Seven Costanza
AG
Looks alright. I think it will sell really well.
Waltonloads08
AG
The Lost said:

powerbelly said:

You mean before the smart people. You don't have to go full on Dave Ramsey to see how dumb leasing is. I'm ok with some debt.

You know what's dumber? Thinking that everyone's preferences should match your own.
Dill-Ag13
AG
GTIAG09 said:

CVT makes the Baby Jesus cry...but I am interested in the 2.4 turbo.
This. 2.4 turbo in the STI plz
ORAggieFan
Test drove the Ascent this weekend. Really loved it. Have explored the Pilot and Atlas. Likely going with the Ascent this week (could take until Sept to get).
SteveA
AG
Looks good on paper and in person. Sat in it at the car show, but have yet to drive one. It's on the short list as the next family hauler along with Pilot, MDX, CX-9, Highlander and maybe an RX350. FIL has an MDX with SH-AWD system, and it handles really good for a big hauler, so that's the driving benchmark at this point.
Waltonloads08
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Test drove the Ascent this weekend. Really loved it. Have explored the Pilot and Atlas. Likely going with the Ascent this week (could take until Sept to get).

Which trim?
ORAggieFan
WaltonLoads08 said:

ORAggieFan said:

Which trim?

Drove the Limited. Looking to buy the Touring.

I will say, never had dealerships so un-interested in selling me a car. MSRP seems best option I can get. Debating what to do.
ORAggieFan
SteveA said:

Looks good on paper and in person. Sat in it at the car show, but have yet to drive one. It's on the short list as the next family hauler along with Pilot, MDX, CX-9, Highlander and maybe an RX350. FIL has an MDX with SH-AWD system, and it handles really good for a big hauler, so that's the driving benchmark at this point.

I'm coming from and RDX. Handled just as good, IMO.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
ORAggieFan said:

WaltonLoads08 said:

ORAggieFan said:

Which trim?

I will say, never had dealerships so un-interested in selling me a car. MSRP seems best option I can get. Debating what to do.

The National day supply on these things right now is under 14 days. A dealership would be making a bad business decision to sell it less than MSRP. Not saying they should sell it over, but no reason to discount them with the current supply and demand. Won't end anytime soon either.
SteveA
AG
Quote:

I'm coming from and RDX. Handled just as good, IMO.
Sure, but it's smaller, lighter, and doesn't have a 3rd row.
Waltonloads08
AG
TitanAGGIE09 said:

ORAggieFan said:

WaltonLoads08 said:

ORAggieFan said:

Which trim?

The National day supply on these things right now is under 14 days. A dealership would be making a bad business decision to sell it less than MSRP. Not saying they should sell it over, but no reason to discount them with the current supply and demand. Won't end anytime soon either.

Is this data publicly available or pay data?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Just buy a gently used Highlander. Buying a first year model sounds like a great recipe to make consistent trips to the shop down the road. Plus, you just can't beat Toyota resale. I don't get it.
ORAggieFan
10andBOUNCE said:

Just buy a gently used Highlander. Buying a first year model sounds like a great recipe to make consistent trips to the shop down the road. Plus, you just can't beat Toyota resale. I don't get it.
Toyotas don't drive well. If I was a mom lugging a family around and groceries, sure. But, I like to enjoy driving. Turbo, AWD, gunning it, I like it.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Gently used MDX
ORAggieFan
10andBOUNCE said:

Gently used MDX

Not big enough. Otherwise I'd consider it. My RDX is great. Most similar families I know say that wouldn't buy another MDX.
SteveA
AG
The Ascentnis bigger than an MDX? The Pilot seemed bigger than the Asvent so I assumed the MDC was as well.
Pickle Rick
AG
My local dealer is taking orders for Aug/September delivery. $500 refundable deposit and selling at $1000 off MSRP on any trim. Their entire initial allocation was sold out months in advance.

I noticed Hueberger Subaru in Colorado Springs is selling them for a couple grand off MSRP, but no idea if they'll actually have those on the lot or if you have to order. They're one of the largest, if not the largest, Subaru dealers in the country and have a good internet sales department if you want to buy out of state.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I'll drive it down to TX for a small fee
ORAggieFan
Update, I was able to get one of the first of these on Friday. Touring in blue. So far absolutely love it. I realize most love it the first week, so that doesn't say a lot.
aggiederelict
My only issue with newer generation Subarus is some reliability issues above 125,000 miles.
Waltonloads08
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Update, I was able to get one of the first of these on Friday. Touring in blue. So far absolutely love it. I realize most love it the first week, so that doesn't say a lot.

Pic?
Waltonloads08
AG
aggiederelict said:

My only issue with newer generation Subarus is some reliability issues above 125,000 miles.

That is a really specific mileage. Where did you get it?
drumboy
AG
WaltonLoads08 said:

aggiederelict said:

My 04 WRX needed valve cover gaskets at 125k Miles. Sold at 175k with no issues.
John Francis Donaghy
WaltonLoads08 said:

aggiederelict said:

rMy only issue with newer generation Subarus is some reliability issues above 125,000 miles.

Didn't most of the new gen Subarus come out around 2015?

How many have even been driven more than 125,000 miles in the last 3 years for you to be able to make such an assessment?

Edit: was supposed to be in response to Derelict.
MouthBQ98
AG
Mid 2000's with the horizontally opposed 2.5L had some problems with head gasket failures that were worked out by using better materials and thicker mating surfaces I would imagine. It was troublesome because the engine had to be lifted to service the headers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.