Anybody have 2015 Suburban LTZ model, regarding Magnetic Ride suspension

27,717 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgsMnn
KDubAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife has one with 48,xxx miles on it. Started riding a little rough, bouncing a little. Looked at the shocks and appears to be blown (leaking), driver side front.

Everything I'm reading online seems to be that the 2015 LTZ models have the magnetic ride and they suck. Even before, it didn't seem as smooth a ride as my truck. Replacement runs $1800+.

Anybody ever deal with this issue? Can it be replaced with a different type of suspension?

It's out of warranty.

TIA
Mike Bravo
We have one and spent about $1600 replacing the front suspension. It smoothed the ride out, but our propably needs the rear replaced as well. I explored swapping it out with a conventional suspension, but was told that the new mag suspension has a lifetime parts warranty if replaced at the dealer. Like you, I am pissed to have my suspension go out right after warranty.
KDubAg
AG
Yea, not too excited about that. Trying to get info from dealer about the parts and warranty but they're trying to get me to bring it in before giving me any answers. They want $130 to look at it and then give me some info.

What dealership did it for $1600 with lifetime warranty?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I can get them on the wholesale side for around 500ea. Sadly I have replaced more than my share on high spec GMT900 SUVs....Baller time with that LTZ until it loses a magnetic ride shock.
KDubAg
AG
I'll keep you in mind for sure. Going to see what my mechanic over here says about it. Should we be looking at getting OEM replacement parts or are there other brands out there to consider?

Do the OEM parts have lifetime warranty or is that dealer specific? Like I mentioned before, I called a dealership around here and they wouldn't answer any of my questions, just wanted me to bring the vehicle in.

I'm in Houston as well.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
KDubAg said:

I'll keep you in mind for sure. Going to see what my mechanic over here says about it. Should we be looking at getting OEM replacement parts or are there other brands out there to consider?

Do the OEM parts have lifetime warranty or is that dealer specific? Like I mentioned before, I called a dealership around here and they wouldn't answer any of my questions, just wanted me to bring the vehicle in.

I'm in Houston as well.
OEM should be 3/36 or 1/12.

Some dealers offer the 'repair for life' but in exchange want you to give them ALL the service work.
Mike Bravo
It was Moritz Chevrolet in Fort Worth that made the lifetime warranty claim. When I questioned them, they said it was good at all GM service centers.
Mike Bravo
The new problem I have with our Tahoe is the strobing dome light when I tap the brakes. Online searches said the fix is a 12 dollar reading light replacement in the front overhead console, but I have not tackled it yet. Just frustrating that you spend that much on a vehicle to have issues like this right after the factory warranty period.
KDubAg
AG
Thanks Mike. Sounds great.. <sarcasm>

She drove my truck all day today. I drove the suburban. I was getting a headache driving that thing.
agwrangler2001
AG
Wow this is timely. My mom just bought a used '15 LTZ Burb. She picked me up Sunday, and I was immediately like, "uhhhh what's wrong with this thing?? It rides like a dump truck??"
I pictured us going down the road like this:

She took it back to dealer and it turns out both the front mag shocks are bad. Vehicle in warranty, not shocks of course.

They are only going to make her pay half which is still $700. My dad is pissed. They literally haven't even made the first payment on it.
03_Aggie
agwrangler2001 said:

Wow this is timely. My mom just bought a used '15 LTZ Burb. She picked me up Sunday, and I was immediately like, "uhhhh what's wrong with this thing?? It rides like a dump truck??"

She took it back to dealer and it turns out both the front mag shocks are bad. Vehicle in warranty, not shocks of course.

They are only going to make her pay half which is still $700. My dad is pissed. They literally haven't even made the first payment on it.

So they just happened to go out in the short time she' owned it or they most likely knowingly sold it with bad front shocks?
agwrangler2001
AG
03_Aggie said:

agwrangler2001 said:

So they just happened to go out in the short time she' owned it or they most likely knowingly sold it with bad front shocks?
Unknown, but the latter is more likely, I would think. I mean, I drive a leaf-sprung solid axle 1-ton pickup, and it rides better than this did.

Wonder if these vehicles sitting unused for a while will cause the shocks to have problems?
W TX Refugee
AG
We have the mag suspension on our 2015 Yukon and had to replace the shocks earlier this year for around $1500. Wife took it into the dealership and I thought the were giving her the business on the price so I went with her to pick it up and sure enough it is what it is. We have been pretty unimpressed with this vehicle, but not sure there is a good alternative. We both thought the Honda Odyssey we traded was a better vehicle. Never thought I would say that.
KDubAg
AG
UPDATE: reminder...we have no warranty or extended warranty on the 2015 Suburban LTZ. 48,480 miles.

tl;dr version - the dealership replaced both front Mag ride suspensions and replaced the AC condenser for $639.

Initially I took the car to my go to mechanic and he confirmed my suspicion that the left Mag ride shock absorber was leaking and both were stiff and needed replacement. His cost was going to be $1450 plus tax.

I called the dealership, Classic Chevrolet, in Sugar Land and talked with the service advisor for a little bit. Told him I knew what the problem was and what needed to be done. Told him I found a bunch complaints online about the issue and should be a recall by GM. Mentioned I found a TSB (technical service bulletin) about the Mag ride suspension. Although really the TSB has nothing to do with a leaking shock absorber. I guess I sounded well informed about the situation to him.

The service advisor puts me on hold for about a minute. He got back on the phone and said, what if I were able to replace the Mag ride as if it was still under warranty. I laughed and said" you mean free, what's the catch?". Nothing, just come on in.

He then asked if we were having any AC problems in the suburban. No, not yet. He went on and explained that the suburbans have issues with the AC condenser and they will replace that for free as well. Looks like there was a recall on certain models built at certain times. But that particular recall didn't show up for me when I searched the VIN.

The service advisor called me later in the day and said he made a mistake about the "free" price and said since we weren't the original owners and did not purchase from them we needed to pay a small portion which was the $639+ plus tax. And GM will cover the rest.

So I set up an appointment for this morning. Picked up the suburban this evening and drives like normal now. It was $639 out the door, guess there was no tax or that was with tax. I don't know. We got lucky.

Definitely will go back to Classic Chevrolet in Sugar Land again if I need to.
greg93ag
AG
Hey who was your service advisor? I am having same problems with my 2015 Tahoe. Thanks fellow Ag!
greg93ag
AG
Can you tell me who your service adviser was. I am having same problems with my 2015 Tahoe and I bought at classic chevy.

Thanks Greg
KDubAg
AG
lemme check...
KDubAg
AG
greg93ag said:

Can you tell me who your service adviser was. I am having same problems with my 2015 Tahoe and I bought at classic chevy.

Thanks Greg

Abel Perez at Classic Chevrolet in Sugar Land
281-243-1116 direct line
AgsMnn
AG
Looks like our 2016 LTZ is riding lower on the front right side. Looked under and seems like the shock absorber or whatever it is called that goes through the spring is dirty. As if you put oil on it and through a bunch of dirt on it. Is this the same thing? It has 87k on it now.

Also, already had to replace the AC condenser due to leak.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.