Fuel pump going out?

736 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by evan_aggie
Jack Cheese
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
07 Maxima, 127k. Bought this car not long ago (yes it belongs on the "crappy car that I'm proud of buying" thread but I like it)...

Anyway, it was hard to start 1st thing in the morning, would crank for a full 6-8 secs before turning over. But the starter seemed strong, battery is new. So I began to turn the key halfway for a few secs, let the fuel gauge set in place, then start it.... Turns right over.

Could be fuel pump not maintaining pressure when car is off?

Also, another weird thing was that when fueling up the car, the gas pump would constantly cut out every couple of gallons. Frustrating. But that problem seems to have subsided now. Could it be related?

I'm pretty ignorant about how pressurized systems work in cars. Second only to my ignorance about electrical systems.
Dill-Ag13
AG
That gas station pumping issue sounds like the evap system.
evan_aggie
AG
My ford had an issue where I needed to prime the fuel pump twice with a turn of the key, off, back on again.

I measured pressure while it was running and had no drop...it never cut off...just on start up.

Turned out it was some return valve on the pump which already sat inside the tank...it was dumping some fuel back into the tank and wasn't fully pressurizing in the 2 second prime...
Mr. Dubi
Check the fuel pump relay
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
You either have a failed fuel pressure regulator issue or a fuel pump check valve issue.
evan_aggie
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

You either have a failed fuel pressure regulator issue or a fuel pump check valve issue.

I'm guessing this one!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.