turn/resurface rotors or buy new?

1,373 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by evan_aggie
evan_aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife's 2015 Nissan Rogue steering wheel shakes and wobbles pretty bad under braking. It lurches forward and back slowly if you press the brake pedal while moving a few mph.

It has 33,000 miles on it and she is pretty hard on the brakes. Nissan quoted $199 for new front pads and to turn the rotors. However, I've usually seen the warping/shudder return much sooner after a resurface job than if I just got new rotors.

I made it a habit on my ford to get new rotors every 40,000 miles and install them myself rather than turn them for $20/ea. (New were $50).

Thoughts? New rotors at their prices would make the total cost just $350 + tax for front rotors and new pads.

The Wonderer
AG
If she's that hard on them, just buy new. Also, there are cheaper places than the dealer to get brakes done.
evan_aggie
AG
I thought $350 with labor and all parts wasn't terrible. Maybe over paying $75...
The Wonderer
AG
evan_aggie said:

I thought $350 with labor and all parts wasn't terrible. Maybe over paying $75...
For just the fronts, that seems excessive to me given that it is maybe $100 in parts and <1 hour job if on a lift with air tools. May just be me though.
evan_aggie
AG
Nissan parts (or Beck/Arnley as a comparison) run $55-60/rotor + $25/pad. I would say $170 in parts is more accurate.

I don't like skimping on rotors...they have Centriq and other lower cost brands that are $25-30/rotor.

chimpanzee
I always buy new rotors, mostly because getting them turned requires an extra trip to a shop when I barely can make the time to do it myself. As mentioned net cost differential isn't much.

It's not a hard job, so you get the hard sell on muffler bearings and/or a parolee flunky doing the actual wrenching anywhere you take it. Stuff like that makes me hate the world even more than I already do.

Aggieangler93
AG
+1 for muffler bearings.....
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Turning rotors = cutting material away while applying t he same amount of braking force, may cause you to warp faster than before.
rancher1953
Buy new rotors they are cheap enough.. In my shop we mainly use NAPA rotors and their adaptive one brake pads, have not had a problem yet.
Javelina
AG
Buy some heavy duty rotors if she's that hard on them. Might stretch the next service out a little longer.
JSKolache
AG
Buy new pads & rotors online, then DIY. Save $$ for beer.
jbennett13
AG
Bosch RotorsJSKolache said:

Bosch Rotors

Power Stop Pads
evan_aggie
AG
jbennett13 said:

Bosch RotorsJSKolache said:

Bosch Rotors

Power Stop Pads

Thanks! Perhaps I will end up just going the DIY route as I have before...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.