Ease of maintenance in 2008-2012 pickups

1,848 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spieg12
Ornlu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in the market for a used 1/2 ton pickup. Something with 100k-150k miles, 2008-2012, single cab, cheap. Not quite ready to buy or even look for specifics, but really just doing my research.

My current vehicle (2004 Dodge Neon with 280k) is having a plethora of intermittent electrical problems, and is just not reliable enough any more. My current dodge is such a PITA that I'll never consider another Dodge again. Power steering pump & motor mounts must be removed to do anything over changing the sparkplugs. I do all of my own maintenance, and honestly the most important factor is how easy they are to work on.

What's the board's general opinion on Ford vs Chevy vs Toyota ease of maintenance?
EskimoJoe
A rear wheel drive dodge pickup will be much easier to work on than a dodge neon.

Apples and potatoes here.
Ornlu
AG
EskimoJoe said:

A rear wheel drive dodge pickup will be much easier to work on than a dodge neon.

Absolutely agreed. However "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!"

In 14 years owning that car, I've found countless things that leave me screaming WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! If those ^&!@s were willing to use a T37 Torex Bolt (not a T35, not a T40, a friggin T37) for the main motor mount in the Neon, what sort of asinine, moronic stuff did they do to the Ram? I seriously question the competency & sanity of Dodge's engineers.
Silvy
AG
The 99-07 Classic Silverado/Sierra was the last simple truck GM made IMO. Other than the transmission, I'd say they're more reliable than the models since then.

I think GM is easier to work on, but I don't have near the experience with other makes as I do GM. To do an engine swap you'd need 8, 10, 13, & 15mm sockets, a 15mm ratcheting wrench would be handy.
CEPhD
AG
I'd say an 05-06 Tundra. Not many single cabs though...
EMY92
AG
I might be selling my 2006 F150 Lariat Supercrew soon.
116,000 miles, no problems. Multi-piece spark plugs already changed.

clarythedrill
Ornlu said:

EskimoJoe said:

Absolutely agreed. However "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!"

In 14 years owning that car, I've found countless things that leave me screaming WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! If those ^&!@s were willing to use a T37 Torex Bolt (not a T35, not a T40, a friggin T37) for the main motor mount in the Neon, what sort of asinine, moronic stuff did they do to the Ram? I seriously question the competency & sanity of Dodge's engineers.
So, you bought what at the time was, and known to be, a piece of crap, drove said piece of crap for 14 years and 280,000 miles, and you feel as if you are being let down or cheated by the car? Dude, you got your money's worth and then some.
FC12
I have an 07 RCSB 5.7 Tundra. Love the truck. Fast. Did have to replace the transmission at 195k. Had it for 4 years and I'll keep it for a while longer.
dubi
AG
05 Tundra

Very few repairs.
Ornlu
AG
clarythedrill said:

Ornlu said:

EskimoJoe said:

So, you bought what at the time was, and known to be, a piece of crap, drove said piece of crap for 14 years and 280,000 miles, and you feel as if you are being let down or cheated by the car? Dude, you got your money's worth and then some.
You're right, I absolutely got my money's worth. I paid $9700 for it brand spanking new. Still doesn't make T37 torex bolts a good engineering decision.

Just looking for fewer busted knuckles in the next one.
barney94
AG
For this application I agree with Silvy - find the cleanest, newest 2004-2007 (old body style) Chevy/GMC you can.

Best vehicle I ever had was my 2004 GMC. 230,000 miles and only thing besides maintenance was one watre pump replacement.

Parts are cheap and readily available.

Ornlu
AG
barney94 said:

For this application I agree with Silvy - find the cleanest, newest 2004-2007 (old body style) Chevy/GMC you can.

Best vehicle I ever had was my 2004 GMC. 230,000 miles and only thing besides maintenance was one watre pump replacement.

Parts are cheap and readily available.

Alright, I found it http://www.mcdavidford.com/used/Chevrolet/2007-Chevrolet-Silverado+1500-in+Fort+Worth/Dallas-16e2223d0a0e0ae84925708c010a565d.htm?searchDepth=2:2

2007, 38k miles, <$10k..

10 years and only 38k miles? Who drives like that?
EMY92
AG
My mom drove less than that in her final 8 years.

She drove to the grocery store weekly (less than 3 miles round trip) and maybe a few other places. Most weeks, she never exceeded 25 miles.
Silvy
AG
That truck is GMT900 (07-13) rather than the superior GMT800 (99-07 classic).

You'll find extended cab trucks are cheaper than single cabs, every sumbish thinks his regular cab v8 is rare and a racetruck. As far as the engine goes, there's no need to look for low mileage.
Ornlu
AG
silverado_lover said:

That truck is GMT900 (07-13) rather than the superior GMT800 (99-07 classic).
Why's the GMT800 superior? Can you explain that like I'm five years old?

I'm the sumbish that doesn't care about looks at all. I'd happily drive an Aztec with hail damage & bald tires if it keeps my wallet fat.
Silvy
AG
The interior of the GMT800 seems to be a bit more durable and is generally a bit more simple than the GMT900.

Most common issues of the GMT800 is the transmission and gauges going out. The gauges are a cheap fix and the trans wasn't improved until 2009. With the trans improvement came another computer that controls the new transmission, so now you have an engine control module, body control module, and trans control module.

FWIW, my 2004 has some engine things done and I beat on the truck daily, the stock trans is holding up just fine.

*knocks on all wooden surfaces
AG
Ornlu said:

Still doesn't make T37 torex bolts a good engineering decision.

Ive been on both sides of this one, design and end user of 20 year old siezed thread and ****ty sockets. Not once during the design phase was an inadequately supplied or experienced maintenance techs feelings considered.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
dubi said:

05 Tundra

Very few repairs.

Oh really.
dubi
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

dubi said:

05 Tundra

Very few repairs.

Oh really.
OMG, another Takata recall. It is not worthy!
spieg12
AG
If you don't care about bells and whistles, a '12 or '13 model Chevy with the LS trim is pretty nice. That one still has knobs for climate controls instead of that stupid push button computer style. Only knock on them I can think of is the well know dash cracking problem.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.