Buying my first Jeep advice

1,422 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by StrykerAg
AstroAggie15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would like to buy a late 90's early 2000's soft top manual Wrangler. I know very little about the market for them and just know that I want one for going to the ranch and taking to the beach to surf fish.

Any tips on where to look & what prices are reasonable for one with 80,000-150,000k miles?
clarythedrill
Only piece of advice would be to NOT get the 2.5 liter engine. While it is very reliable, it has very little power, and will drive you crazy if you are on a highway that requires speeds over 55 mph. It might suffice if you use it only in town or on the beach, but is woefully under powered for anything else.
Waterski02
AG
Although no expert, I ended up buying an 02 this past spring.

Look for oil leaks, engine, axles, and transfer case. Look at Axles, mainly do you have the D44 rear? What's gear ratio? How's the Top, they are ~500+ to replace and a wearable item.

I paid 5,200 for my '02 with 99k on the clock. Bone stock, 5 spd and needing a new top.

JEEP. Just Empty Every Pocket.

By June I had over 50% of the purchase price "invested" back in her. Lift, wheels, tires, top, stereo, etc...Next step in bigger axles, more lift, bumpers, winch, the list goes on and on.

If you're going to use her like a Jeep, I say go for it. They are fun.

GTBullitt68
AG
I agree with the above. I'd also say avoid any rust at all costs. I've been looking daily for 3 months with little success. Of course I'm being very picky with color, gearing, price and mileage. I'm looking for a stock Jeep to make my own that hasn't been abused. Ideally a southern Jeep only. Your budget largely depends on how hard it will be to find one. I'm trying to keep mine under $7,500 and 150k Miles. I'd also like to toss in there to look for one with full doors already as they are very expensive to replace. Good luck in your search.
StrykerAg
AG
After seeing the new JL Wranglers, I am getting my first Jeep soon too
Street Fighter
AG
StrykerAg said:

The Grand Cherokee is for you.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
my advice... DON'T buy a Jeep and by a 4Runner
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

my advice... DON'T buy a Jeep and by a 4Runner
My biggest regret is not buying a sweet '88 4Runner. One of the ones with a removable top.
OE_Ag11
AG
VIN - Build sheet and window sticker lookup

You can put the vin in here and look up the original window sticker and build sheets to see what all is included in the jeep originally. useful for checking the axles and such before you go look at the Jeep.

Silvy
AG
Best Jeeps are the XJ & MJ #framelessandshameless
StrykerAg
AG
Street Fighter said:

StrykerAg said:

The Grand Cherokee is for you.
We're getting one of those too. Only reason we didn't get it already is because we want to see what the redesign for it looks like first
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.