Cars for teens

3,795 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LOYAL AG
The Wonderer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EskimoJoe said:

The Wonderer said:

dubi said:

Quote:

Only thing really catching his eye is the WRX - 2012 ish model year.

Why does a vehicle need to catch his eye? How about he doesn't get any say in the purchase unless he writes the check?

Quote:

I'd like to get him something more in-line with what his peers will have

Seriously? When did this become a requirement?
It's not a requirement, but if the kid likes the car, they're more app to take care of it.

What the hell, hot rod it, tear it up, and dad will buy me another one that catches my eye
Maybe don't raise your kid to be an ******* and to be appreciative of things? While my truck wasn't my first choice, it was reliable and I got a solid eight years out of it without any repair and it looked showroom new when it was totaled.
EskimoJoe
The Wonderer said:

EskimoJoe said:

The Wonderer said:

dubi said:

Quote:

Why does a vehicle need to catch his eye? How about he doesn't get any say in the purchase unless he writes the check?

Quote:

It's not a requirement, but if the kid likes the car, they're more app to take care of it.

What the hell, hot rod it, tear it up, and dad will buy me another one that catches my eye
Maybe don't raise your kid to be an ******* and to be appreciative of things? .

Buying them everything they ever wanted is definitely the best way to do that
Mr. Dubi
silverado_lover said:

Your son wants a 1984 S10. It just so happens I can give you a great deal on one. $3,800 firm, don't lowball me as I know what I have.
I think you left the decimal out of that price....
The Wonderer
AG
EskimoJoe said:

The Wonderer said:

EskimoJoe said:

The Wonderer said:

dubi said:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe don't raise your kid to be an ******* and to be appreciative of things? .

Buying them everything they ever wanted is definitely the best way to do that
LOL. The vehicle I wanted was $6k and I had $2k so I asked my parents for $4k as a loan. Nope. My dad's response was to buy me a $27k truck. Logic != Kid's fault.
powerbelly
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

dubi said:

Quote:

Quote:

Why do you care so much about how other people spend their money? There is nothing inherently better about giving a kid a crappy car if money isn't a big factor.
This.
jbeaman88
AG

Son drove a lifted Cherokee XJ very much like this in high school and it was perfect for him. Cheap, rugged, great for learning to work on cars and unique in the school parking lot. He wishes he still had it. He even modified the front doors himself to be easily removable.
Waltonloads08
AG
I drove a brown 1985 Nissan 720 King Cab much like this one. Taking her above 55 MPH was a stretch, but we still have it at the ranch. It runs, and the A/C blows cold.

I went to a "rich" high school, where other kids had brand new trucks, sports cars, Lexus, BMW, etc.

I did not get a lot of women with this.

dubi
AG
Quote:

POTD
Ornlu
AG
WaltonLoads08 said:

I drove a brown 1985 Nissan 720 King Cab much like this one. Taking her above 55 MPH was a stretch, but we still have it at the ranch. It runs, and the A/C blows cold.

I went to a "rich" high school, where other kids had brand new trucks, sports cars, Lexus, BMW, etc.

My best friend in High School had that exact truck, only in more heavily rusted. When he revved the engine in neutral, it sounded just like a 2-stroke weedeater.
DadAG10
WaltonLoads08 said:

Keep telling yourself that's the reason.
FIDO*98*
AG
Right about now 10 grand feels like a small price to pay to not have to cart my kids around all over God's green earth 7 days/week. I'm fortunate we get to buy out our company cars for 30% under market which is usually right around 10. Probably more than I'd want to spend on him, but, my current Subaru Legacy has the EyeSight system and I can't pass that kind of peace of mind up to save a few bucks. Two more years to go
LOYAL AG
AG
My kids both got used Jeeps. They learned to drive in my Jeep so that's what they're used to. Barring a major accident those jeeps will last them through college with a repair or two and that seems like a good investment. My son has had his for three years now and it's been great for him and my daughter gets hers in a few weeks. When they finish college we'll sign the title over to them and they can do what they want. Right now I'm thinking these Jeeps will be in our family for a long time. Both kids are low key hard working kids that like the fun side of things and don't take themselves too seriously. Messy hair and the occasional unexpected rain don't bother them. So we bought them cars they can enjoy for a long time.

Having said that my daughter came home laughing last week because a friend of hers was complaining about her Mom limiting her to $40,000. Ours know life isn't easy and appreciate that we've put a lot into these vehicles when we didn't have to. my thing is I wanted to do this once and get something that will last. Jeeps leak oil and aren't the nicest vehicles around but with some TLC they'll last forever. That was my goal.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.