Cars for teens

3,792 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LOYAL AG
Aust Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Or actually, vehicles for twins!

Mine turn 16 next month, and are wearing me and my wife out about "getting" them a car. Daughter has no money, and not that choosy. Son has a little money and more choosy, wants a truck. 6 months ago, this wasn't an issue, they were going to just drive our cars around when we didn't need them. Now....after 90% of their friends parents have outright given them $10K plus vehicles, (over half are driving $20K+ rides, a couple new cars), they pretty much are expecting something when they turn 16 in January. Big source of resentment on both sides right now.

Wife and I were going to just let them work for it over the next year, but what slows things down on that front is my son is a football player, and he messed his ankle up bad to the point he can't work over the holidays, probably into Feb. Daughter is a cheerleader and they keep her busy. Church activity once or twice a week at night. Not much opportunities to work for either. Weekends are really the best option for them. Either way, after school/weekends its' a long climb at minimum wage. But it's going to be happening, soon.

Bottom line is, I don't want to or really have the $$$$ ability to provide two kids at once, 2 vehicles...along with the insurance, save for college (for 2). Don't understand why parents just give kids nice rides, but that's another subject.

I guess I'm just looking for stories from parents that have had to deal with this lately...not "Well, when I was a kid...". I get that angle. And I'm afraid of just getting them each a beater, that always has issues, drips oil in my driveway, etc. Then they'll be hitting me up to get it fixed for them.

Any creative ways around all this?

JB
AG
A $5k car doesn't have to be a beater. Plenty of good reliable vehicles out there that will get them to and from school. They could share for awhile, then find another $5k car. Have them come up with the insurance and gas $$.?

I might have my wife's old 99 Camry for sale for around $2k. While it WILL drip oil on your driveway, it's pretty reliable transportation, and might teach them some humility .......cuz its ugly.
EskimoJoe
Sounds like your kids have a bunch of spoiled friends and expect to be treated the same. No where does the rules say that you owe them anything. Is food, housing, medical care, etc not enough?

I busted my ass working to pay for my show calves plus feed and supplies. By the end of high school I could have bought a new pickup with the money I blew on of that.

If I needed to go somewhere (no goofing off), I got to drive dads old 3/4 ton farm pickup. The summer before college I saved enough to spend $3826 on an 1995 s10 with 118k miles on it to drive to college.

If you feel obligated to do anything, maybe have them get jobs and you match dollars until there is enough money to buy a $5000 beater and you can split insurance and maintenance with them.

Or just buy them whatever they want and pay for it all so they can learn to expect everything to be given to them in life and they can gain teambuilding experience by organizing Bernie Sanders rallys.
Waltonloads08
AG
Decide on a budget, then help them work through agreeing on a car/truck that they can share. If they can't agree, they get nothing, or they can get a job and earn it themselves. Help them through understanding how loans work, interest, etc.

Don't allow them to get a fast car or a rollover death trap with low safety ratings like an old jeep. You have 100% veto power.

Multiple kids in HS I went to were killed in crappy old cars because the parents were cheap or were turned into barely functional vegetables because daddy bought them a Firebird that they promptly wrapped around a tree.

10andBOUNCE
AG
I'm still 12 years away from this bridge but if they are resentful and/or feeling entitled I wouldn't help them one iota. Besides that, I tend to prefer some of the "matching" parents do when their kids save up money for cars.

When I turned 16 in 2001, I drove my parents 85 Corolla for about a year. It sucked, but it worked. After that we both chipped in our savings to move up to about a $7k car (1994 V6 Camry) that was about 8 years old. Even though it wasn't the coolest car, I had ownership and took great care of it. When my younger sister eventually inherited it and totaled it, I was extremely upset (of course after knowing she was ok). I'm thankful my parents didn't have the means to buy me what I really wanted - was better off for it.

Huge learning opportunity, don't blow it
Dr. Nefario
Why don't you love your children enough to give them nice things?

Just kidding, you owe them nothing. Buy them a $5k car to share and if there's one word of complaint, they're back on the school bus.
Aust Ag
AG
Good stuff so far.

Since Christmas and their birthday are a few weeks apart, I was thinking about giving them a grand or so each as their total present, to give them a starting point, some "hope". Seems like a lot of cash and it is (probably would spend that much between the 2 events anyway). But you think about it, these parent giving their kids cars are basically giving them $10K, $20K "gifts" for their birthdays. And from there, they can decide to get a cheap ugly car quickly or work for a few months and get something a little better.

Then, maybe do the "matching" dollars idea, I liked that.
Silvy
AG
Your son wants a 1984 S10. It just so happens I can give you a great deal on one. $3,800 firm, don't lowball me as I know what I have.
91AggieLawyer
AG
5-10 year old Honda Accord/Toyota Camry. Buy something that is in good mechanical condition but needs a little TLC and have them responsible for getting it looking good. Hundreds of Youtube videos on car detailing -- have them watch those, take them to Pep Boys and get some detailing supplies and have them both go at it over a weekend (under your supervision). They can't drive the vehicle until it is spotless, inside and out.
AstroAggie15
AG
silverado_lover said:

Your son wants a 1984 S10. It just so happens I can give you a great deal on one. $3,800 firm, don't lowball me as I know what I have.
actually kinda curious & want to see pics
dubi
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

silverado_lover said:

actually kinda curious & want to see pics
dubi
AG
Our kids vehicle in HS were:

Son #1, 15yo Civic with a stick ($1500)
Son #2, 15 yo Corolla ($2000)

They did not ***** complain.

College vehicles had a $7k budget.

Duncan Idaho
The only advice I have: Assume they will wreck it and buy accordingly.
Ogre09
AG
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=470805479&zip=77566&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D77566%26startYear%3D1981%26sortBy%3DmileageASC%26maxPrice%3D6000%26vehicleStyleCodes%3DSEDAN%26incremental%3Dall%26engineCodes%3D4CLDR%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2018%26makeCodeList%3DHONDA%252CTOYOTA%26searchRadius%3D50&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=6000&vehicleStyleCodes=SEDAN&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&makeCodeList=HONDA%2CTOYOTA&searchRadius=50&makeCode1=HONDA&modelCode1=CIVIC
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm mostly driving a $6000 Used commuter car right now. Honda Fit hatchback with 60K miles. Reliable and decently fun to drive, 34mpg. Mine's a manual.

5K will get an older single cab pickup pretty easily, something simple and easy to keep running.
MouthBQ98
AG
They were killed because they were terrible inexperienced new drivers with little concept of their own mortality and an inability to appreciate and understand the risks they were taking by not driving to both their own and their vehicles limitations, if you want to get to the truth of it. It's sad but true.
MouthBQ98
AG
I drove a $3000 1983 S-10 blazer throughmost of high school and all of college. It got the job done. I did most of the repairs and maintenance myself and out of my own spending money too.
Silvy
AG
Well, since you asked.

1st pic I took of the ol girl. Filling up in SA within 30 minutes of purchase, we trusted she would get us from SA to Galveston in the late night hours after all part stores were closed.

The next morning <3

Her first time to get faded

First day on the job, they grow up so fast.

Then she started to get a little thicc

Trying to quiet the screamer down, ayyyyyyy

But she's still just a dirty girl

So I took her back home
DadAG10
My sons grew up in same surroundings, lots of new cars for their friends.

My deal with them was I would match whatever amount they would put of their own money toward a car.

They had to have an vested interest in it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=1983572

YWIA
Aggieangler93
AG
Crank Ape auctions in Gtown: (usually decent cars and trucks there)

http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp?pg=DisItems&Cat=12&locID=6

Also, my vehicle, which has 220K miles on it, is parked in the street in front of the house, and I could care less about the occasional oil leak. Are they too good to park in the street?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Sweetheart here is your older but decent shape Accord, Civic, or Camry, hope you like silver or white.

Son here is your older but decent shape Accord, Civic, or Camry, hope you like silver or white.

Rexter
I've got a '93 f150 that I went thru. Runs perfect and is mechanically sound. Paint is a bit faded and has a couple of dings. I dropped $2500 into the mechanicals since I needed something to drive all over the state.

$2800
Waltonloads08
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

They were killed because they were terrible inexperienced new drivers with little concept of their own mortality and an inability to appreciate and understand the risks they were taking by not driving to both their own and their vehicles limitations, if you want to get to the truth of it. It's sad but true.

Unfortunately, two were killed when a drunk driver t-boned them in their early 1980's Honda that had very little in the way of safety equipment.

I guess now that it's almost a couple decades later, this probably isn't as much of an issue as most cars that these kids will be driving will be year 2000+ models.

You definitely don't need to spoil kids, but I would be careful about what I let them drive.

Dr. Venkman
AG
My 1998 4Runner:
https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/1998-toyota-4runner-sr5/6394371161.html

$3000

Jaydoug
AG
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=465297296&zip=78749&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D78749%26startYear%3D1981%26sortBy%3DderivedpriceDESC%26maxPrice%3D10000%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2018%26modelCodeList%3DTACOMA%26makeCodeList%3DTOYOTA%26searchRadius%3D25&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=10000&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=TACOMA&makeCodeList=TOYOTA&searchRadius=25&makeCode1=TOYOTA&modelCode1=TACOMA

Round Rock

Taco is a good boy truck, and small enough that the young lady will not mind the drive. Sub $10k and will hold value well.
Jack Cheese
AG
I can appreciate your situation. 3 teens, 2 years between each.

In 2014 I spent $2300 plus some motor mounts for a Honda element for son #1, he and his brother installed them. 2003 with 171k miles. Bought from coworker so I was reasonably confident in its condition.

In 2016 I put the same amount towards a 2002 Mercury Sable with 78k for son #2, he kicked in another $800 of his own. Found on Craigslist, had full service records plus I have ability to run carfaxes.

We live in a similar area where kids are given new Camaros but this is all we can afford and our boys have been grateful, especially after experiencing the freedom of just having some wheels of their own.

These types of cars will need repairs but honestly that's been a really good bonding experience for us. They help each other, I help, we watch YouTube and post on texags to get advice. It's been cool.

Last advice: insurance is hella expensive. I dropped the boys cars down to liability only. Don't do this. Older son totaled his element, and while it wasn't worth a lot, there's quite a bit of hassle just disposing of a totaled car that insurance just handles for you if you have full coverage. So, new plan is the boys pay all their gas and repairs, plus they pay to me the difference between liability and full coverage so that we can carry full on their cars. They have to keep jobs in order to do this, but that's part of the deal with auto ownership.

Good luck. There are no hard and fast rules, but try to proceed wisely and don't let others' expectations lead you into poor decisions.
BQ2001
AG
If we don't have self driving cars in 13 years when my daughter is driving she will be getting a manual 2 seater of some sort.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Rextor, where is the f150? Can you post pics?
coolerguy12
AG
My twin brother and I shared a '97 suburban when we turned 16 in 2006. Hated it at the time but learned a lot from it. It was easier since we both played the same sports but your kids will find a way to make one car work. They are entitled to nothing.
dubi
AG
Our son's $1500 civic was totaled. Cheaper to buy another than get full coverage.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
here is a great example of a good first car for a kid....
dubi
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Make sure that any vehicle you buy has side impact airbags. I suspect this 2002 vehicle does not.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
dubi said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Make sure that any vehicle you buy has side impact airbags. I suspect this 2002 vehicle does not.

Then OP is going to have to shell out more money than that.....IIRC your kids beater cars didn't have side impact bags...
Cannew
AG
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/2011-ford-crown-victoria/6400937181.html

I would have rocked this in HS.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.