Winch Recommendations?

1,629 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JB
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need a winch recommendation for my TJ Unlimited. i know Warn used to be the gold standard, is that still true? What are you guys running these days? Curb weight (once I'm done building it) will probably be close to 4,500#.

TIA
GTBullitt68
AG
The most popular one on the Jeep Wrangler forums is the Warn M8000. Northridge4x4 has it on sale for $517.50 when using the promo code "KABOOM". Ordered mine last week and it arrived in perfect condition. There is also a $75 rebate for it right now. I'd recommend that one.
Corps_Ag12
AG
The M8000 or M8000-S? I can't seem to find the M8000 on their website.
GTBullitt68
AG
M8000. https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/jeep-truck-suv-winches/26502-warn-m8000-winch
GTBullitt68
AG
I plan on replacing the wire with a different synthetic line later but this is a great starting option and it's made in the US.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Thanks! Just ordered one.
GTBullitt68
AG
Happy to help! Now I just need to find a TJ to go with it. Lol
Corps_Ag12
AG
GTBullitt68 said:

Happy to help! Now I just need to find a TJ to go with it. Lol

Good luck in your search!
Complaint Investigator
AG
I have the Warn 8000. It works really well. At some point, I'll replace the cable with synthetic.

I also bought a harbor Freight 12K winch for my car hauler. No more struggling to get vehicles that don't run/drive on there. Will report back on performance when we drag something up with it.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Complaint Investigator said:

I have the Warn 8000. It works really well. At some point, I'll replace the cable with synthetic.

I also bought a harbor Freight 12K winch for my car hauler. No more struggling to get vehicles that don't run/drive on there. Will report back on performance when we drag something up with it.

Do you have it mounted to the trailer or in a box on the trailer? Where do you keep the battery? I've been debating on getting one for mine as well.
CATAGBQ04
AG
Ordered a Warn VR10S for my JKU...they accidentally sent me a VR12S, then told me to keep it.

Yeah so...now I can winch all the things.

Also solved my front bumper tire clearance problems

Corps_Ag12
AG
If only I get so lucky to get an M8000-S instead.
Complaint Investigator
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Complaint Investigator said:

Do you have it mounted to the trailer or in a box on the trailer? Where do you keep the battery? I've been debating on getting one for mine as well.
Not mounted yet. We will probably mount it on to a steel plate welded to the trailer. Battery will sit on the tongue in between the trailer jack and the front of the trailer. I'm not in charge of setting it up. My deal was I have the flatbed, I buy the winch, buddies install and can use as needed. We have 15 vehicles in various stages of completion between the four of us, so the trailer gets used a lot for everything from hauling cars to hauling motors and transmissions.
CATAGBQ04
AG
I'd recommend getting a small truck bed toolbox and mounting it on the front of the trailer (on tongue frame directly in front of deck front rails).

Store trailer stuff and battery inside of toolbox...pop out battery and connect it when needed, then put back in toolbox.

Or run wires to it in toolbox if you're feeling fancy.

Mount the winch to a receiver winch plate...weld receiver tube to front of trailer behind toolbox.

Now you have yourself a removable winch you can mount into any receiver.

My buddy has this set up on the trailer I borrow from him...works like a charm.

Like and such as

GTBullitt68
AG
If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up giving for your unlimited? It seems like prices are crazy high right now. Your's appears to be in excellent condition for the mileage.
JB
AG
I have a Warn VR10k with rope on my F150. It rarely gets used, was inexpensive, and still says Warn.

I have a old XD9000i with rope on the YJ. Quieter, faster...have had no issues.

Had an early SmittyBuilt on a trailer many years ago. I thought it was junk even with simply being tasked as a trailer winch. Supposedly they have gotten better, but I would not buy one again.

Had a Warn XP9500 on my old Bronco. That was my favorite. Very fast, quiet, never had any issues
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.