Opinions on Mazda CX-9?

2,728 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ArtVandelay03
txagfisher
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Needing to replace the wife's car soon, as it seen much better days, and are starting to plan for the future when our family expands. My wife is pretty set on the Mazda, and while it seems to have good reviews, I admit I know next to nothing about Mazda tech.

What is the general consensus on these vehicles? They seem to be a great bang for the buck.

Is there anything else we should be considering? Budget is around $45k. We've looked at the VW Atlas, but she didn't care for the ride.
zooguy96
My wife has a CX-7 and has had no issues. The head light bulbs are ridiculously hard to change. Other than that, gets good mileage, wasn't too $$.
mudbutt07
My wife has a 2016 CX-9 and she loves it. The twin turbo's can really get the car moving and it get's great gas mileage. It's a very nice vehicle for the price, the only option I wish it had was remote start, which apparently they have but it sucks because it uses an app or something. We've had it for 14 months, 25k miles and no issues yet.
Aggietaco
AG
As long as my wife continues to like Mazda vehicles, I'll keep buying them for her. She's been in a Mazda since 2005 without issue. Currently in a CX-5 and would like the bigger CX-9, but we're limited on garage space.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Twin turbos eh?
sts7049
AG
i had a 2011 and it was a really good car. more fun to drive than i expected it would be.
AgCPA95
AG
Seems to be a good bang for the buck but when we recently replaced my wife's SUV and considered the CX-9, it was missing things like ventilated seats and adaptive cruise control even on the top level trim level. Our 5 year old Kia even had ventilated seats!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The new CX9 is a pretty good vehicle. It would be on my short list of 3 row crossovers.

The turbo powertrain is great. Wish they had kept the 3.7L V6 though.
txagfisher
AG
What else would be on your short list?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
txagfisher said:

What else would be on your short list?
Ford Explorer
Hyundai Santa Fe (3 row)
Kia Sorento (2019)
Post removed:
by user
dlp3719
AG
We have a 2013. My wife is happy. New model may be different but I feel like the carpet is lower quality so I covered the whole interior in weathertech shortly after we bought it. Makes it easy to clean up Cheerios and goldfish.

The paint is not the quality of my BMW. I feel like it chips and scratches easier and doesn't buff as well but my wife doesn't care.

Mechanically it has been trouble free to 70k Miles.
TriAg2010
AG
Not a CX-9 owner here, but I have a 2016 Mazda6. My only gripe with that car is the infotainment is terrible from the passenger seat. Steering wheel controls are the only easy way to change music. That's not a problem when driving alone, but it can be a hassle on road trips. I assume most Mazdas have the same/similar system, so I'd be sure you're comfortable with that.
txagfisher
AG
Thanks for all of the feedback. Definitely making me feel better on this option. Going to look at it again next week.
txagfisher
AG
TriAg2010 said:

Not a CX-9 owner here, but I have a 2016 Mazda6. My only gripe with that car is the infotainment is terrible from the passenger seat. Steering wheel controls are the only easy way to change music. That's not a problem when driving alone, but it can be a hassle on road trips. I assume most Mazdas have the same/similar system, so I'd be sure you're comfortable with that.

Does the Mazda6 have the infotainment control on the center console? That's how the Cx-9 is set up and I didn't think it was too bad. I pretty well drive 100% of the time we're in the car together so it probably isn't too much of an issue either way.
Post removed:
by user
LihaiAg06
AG
Wife has a 2015 CX-9 (before they redesigned) and she likes it. To me, the only frustrating thing about the car is the touch screen / bluetooth quality. It isn't the most reactive system and takes a while to connect to your phone upon entering the vehicle. Other than that, it's great. The 3rd row easily folds down to make a flat bed.
TriAg2010
AG
txagfisher said:

TriAg2010 said:

Does the Mazda6 have the infotainment control on the center console? That's how the Cx-9 is set up and I didn't think it was too bad. I pretty well drive 100% of the time we're in the car together so it probably isn't too much of an issue either way.

Yes, it looks like the same system. The real annoyance is that radio station presets are stored in a list one level below the Audio screen. The touch screen is disabled when the car is moving, so you've got to scroll 5-6 clicks to Favorites, hit Enter, scroll to your station, then click Enter again. Alternatively, you can hit Next enough times that you get the station you want. All this clicking and navigating for what has tradiionlly been a single button push on post-WWII cars.

I'm in the same position where I drive alone 90% of the time, but it drives my wife bonkers when she's riding shotgun.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I noted this same issue for new cars in general in another thread recently. For all the whiz-bang gadgets added in cards today, it's a pain to jump to a preset with a touchscreen system. With physical buttons your eyes never leave the road.
ArtVandelay03
AG
Any latest gen CX-9 owners having issues with keeping the cabin comfortable in the Texas heat? Looking to get into something with a 3rd row, and this is on our short list, but I've read some reviews that say the a/c just isn't up to snuff for southern climates.

TIA
saltydog13
AG
No issues on ours. We have a 2016 Sport (first year redesign with the turbo engine). I'm sure the 5% tint on all the rear windows helps though. Love driving it more than my tundra.
Texker
AG
The kid drives a '14 Mazda3. Realize it's not a CX-9 but pleased with the choice. The nav has some gremlins but has been dependable otherwise. Had a '12 Mazda3 prior to it being totaled(not the kid's fault).
ArtVandelay03
AG
We decided to go with the CX-9 Grand Touring. We were also looking at CPO Infiniti QX60s with 20,000 miles or less, but just felt the design, more modern feel, and sporty drive of the CX-9 appealed to us more than the luxury of the QX60. Plus, the CX-9 has a semi-luxury feel at the Grand Touring and Signature levels in my opinion.

Regarding the A/C, the car is already tinted on all the side windows (it was the GMs demo), but we may get the transparent UV-blocking film added to the windshield. Hopefully, with all that, we won't encounter any issues with the A/C not keeping up with the heat come summer. Thanks again for the responses.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.