How long will a car last with a blown head gasket?

31,120 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Reload8098
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a work friend who's going through some tough financial times and their car has a blown head gasket. I assume they just drive it till it dies because they can't afford to repair it and there's no cheap fix right?
"What country before ever existed a century and a half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." Thomas Jefferson
Jack Cheese
AG
Depends. Is there coolant in the oil? Oil will look milky if so. Alternatively, they may have gray smoke out of the tailpipe when it starts, which means the coolant is leaking into the cylinders. If that's the case, the coolant burns up in the cylinder and may cause longer term damage to the rings, etc.

If it's not too far gone you can try Bar's Leaks Head Gasket Repair (liquid in a bottle... Don't get the other radiators products, get the exact product I mentioned). Available at Wal Mart. Pour it into the coolant reservoir and follow instructions. This can buy a year or more, depending on how far gone the gasket is. Or it might not work at all. Probably worth the $30 risk if they're really destitute, though.

Otherwise, a gasket kit itself is usually not that expensive. It's just hard to get to and you might have to take the head to a machine shop if it's warped. Not an easy job but not impossible either. Lots of help on YouTube if you want to try it. Better than ignoring the problem and waiting for the engine to seize up.

Good luck to your friends.
AG
What kind of car and how do they know its the head gasket?

Something bad usually has to happen to blow a head gasket. So that will need to be fixed

If its the incredibly rare blow out to the atmosphere where it sounds like a hell of an exhaust leak its fine. I milked a few months out of one before getting around to fixing it. Gas mileage goes to **** and everyone laughs at your hoopty. And no chance of passing emissions, that light will be on as soon as you get done clearing the codes.

If its burning coolant the catalytic converters will break up and the o2 sensors will be trashed. The cylinder wall will be trashed in no time. The radiator or heater core could also blow out if the hoses dont first.

I dont know how bad it is if mixing with oil. Cant be good, but the royal purple carney says their stuff mixes fine with coolant.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

drive it till it dies because they can't afford to repair it

This makes like zero sense. If you're going to be without it eventually, be without it now -- NEEDING repair and potentially worth something than later with a blown engine.

Do cars still have freeze plugs? Given the date, not relevant here, but just curious.
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Do cars still have freeze plugs? Given the date, not relevant here, but just curious.
yes, but they are incorrectly called freeze plugs. They are core plugs and are inherent to the design of any water cooled engine to remove casting mold material in the passageways.
MouthBQ98
AG
I got by with a pinhole coolant leak to the outside. I had to top off coolant regularly and there was a risk of some overheating when idling in traffic on warm days due to the pressure being lower than it should be. Any leak that is oil to water or water to oil should be fixed.

OR

Sell the car as-is and buy something smaller, cheaper, and more reliable.
Reload8098
AG
It's.a 97 4 cyl Honda Accord. He can't afford to pay for to fix it. He doesn't have a credit card to charge, no savings and he can't afford to lose his job. Single Dad raising an 8 yr old boy, lives with his dad. I'd loan him the money but I have my own wife and kid to take care of and I'm already helping a nephew.
As far as being certain about the head gasket all tbe symptoms match up and he said a mechanic friend told him that was the problem. It needs a new radiator right now which I did buy as a gift. $90 to keep it gong. Just feel bad for someone who's trying to just get by you know.
"What country before ever existed a century and a half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." Thomas Jefferson
moore42
AG
A head gasket on a 4 cyl accord looks like it could be a really easy job. Depends on how hard it is to get the intake manifold off the back side. The exhaust manifold is a breeze as long as bolts/studs aren't breaking off.

Whats the location of said car?

Reload8098
AG
Alcoa, TN near Knoxville. Sorry. It made me laugh.
Flaith
AG
Sell the car or fix it. How is being carless (which WILL happen) any better than getting it fixed?

I feel bad for their situation, but I can't imagine having no transportation would help

My brother was in the same boat. His blazer was hemorrhaging coolant and overheating, and he couldn't afford to fix it. I loaned him my jeep, and we replaced his intake manifold gasket, radiator, water pump, plugs, etc, on a couple of weekends for a fraction of shop cost. Is he handy? Does he have any friends who are handy?
sts7049
AG
if it's leaking into the cylinders it's anyone's guess as to how long it will hold up. the above idea for the stop leak might be the best shot, or consider selling the car and buying another cheap ride while it's still running.

of course if he is handy and can find someone willing to help turn wrenches he could fix it himself, if he can find a way to pay for the parts.
Reload8098
AG
A "friend" said he'd do the job for $800 to $1000. I don't think he's mechanically inclined at all. This is going to sound mean but I certainly don't "mean" it that way. The guy isn't going to win any spelling Bs.
He tried the Bar's Leaks Head Gasket Repair already. The engine isn't smoking.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Just depends how bad the gasket is blown.

If he is in the least bit mechanically inclined and has tools, maybe he should head over to the library and borrow a chiltons manual and get parts together and do it over the weekend.

Wish he were closer, I'd be down to grab a couple of Texags guys/gals and go through the car for him over a weekend and make sure its road worthy for him and the kid.
Reload8098
AG
That's incredibly kind. I do think the guy that's willing to do the job for a lower fee knows what he's doing because he told him he's do it for $800 if the head didn't need to be machined. But how often is the head not warped? Isn't that part of the reason the gasket blew in the first place? Vehicle has 173k miles on it. So it should be good to go If he can get it fixed soon enough. Wife and I have decided we'll give him $400 towards getting it repaired and it's a gift. He can't afford a loan. Lol.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Well if the radiator was bad, sounds like the thing ran hot and popped the HG.

Depends on how long it ran hot and if its still running hot. If all is well with the cooling system, then he may just need a gasket and he can move on. But with 180K, that cylinder head may be a little tired.

Id say if he wanted to make the car last, take the head to a machine shop and let them go through it. A refreshed cylinder head + new head gasket will make a really nice running car for many years to come, as long as he stays on top of his basic maintenance and keeps an eye on his fluids.

zooguy96
I'm in Maryville (right by Alcoa) and will help out in any way if I can.

$$ wise - can't right now, but otherwise, will assist.
Duncan Idaho
I've bought a set of heads from here and have been happy. Cheaper than I would have expected. I think they have an eBay store.

https://www.headsonly.com/
Reload8098
AG
Thanks Bob and everyone for your input.
sts7049
AG
i'm willing to chip in some money to help the guy out
MouthBQ98
AG
Pretty area. I almost moved there. Right near the smoky mountains national park.
Reload8098
AG
Thanks for the offer. I've encouraged him to talk to his boss. I'll be shocked if he doesn't step up.
aggieforester05
AG
A head gasket on a 4 banger accord would be an easy job. Watch some youtube videos and borrow a torque wrench from the auto parts store. That may or may not fix it, but it's worth a shot. Tell him not to be scared, there will be a never ending amount of information and diy guides on the internet for honda 4 bangers.

Here's the gasket on ebay for $11.29.

1997 Accord Head Gasket
AG
aggieforester05 said:

A head gasket on a 4 banger accord would be an easy job. Watch some youtube videos and borrow a torque wrench from the auto parts store. That may or may not fix it, but it's worth a shot. Tell him not to be scared, there will be a never ending amount of information and diy guides on the internet for honda 4 bangers.

1997 Accord Head Gasket

The gasket is 1% of the cost. There are so many surprise costs on a head gasket

200 or so plus at least week at a machine shop for the head rework.

At that age and mileage youll be removing broken exhaust studs and cracked plastic connectors.

I wish him luck, but plan on a month of down time that whole faster better cheaper triangle doesnt work when you dont have the experience to handle what can go unplanned.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
robertf03 said:

aggieforester05 said:

1997 Accord Head Gasket

The gasket is 1% of the cost. There are so many surprise costs on a head gasket

200 or so plus at least week at a machine shop for the head rework.

At that age and mileage youll be removing broken exhaust studs and cracked plastic connectors.

I wish him luck, but plan on a month of down time that whole faster better cheaper triangle doesnt work when you dont have the experience to handle what can go unplanned.
X2
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.