AC noise

606 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Jack Cheese
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2007 Maxima, 126k. The AC is noisy. It is cooling and blowing just fine, but it makes kind of a loud humming noise when it is running. It is noticeably quieter when I turn off the AC completely. Just old car noise, or something I should proactively address?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Noise related to ac fan speed in the car?
Jack Cheese
AG
Just tested with car off. Yes, apparently it does get louder with fan speed (not apparent with car running). It's a hard noise to describe, not a whine or squeal... More of a rushing noise or whir I guess. Definitely not the same as my other cars though.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
May have a leaf or plastic wrapper or trash in the squirrel cage.

You can drop the blower motor, its on the pass side footwell on these cars.

Also, if you've not changed the cabin filter, maybe you should check/change to make sure its not full of dust/dirt etc, which a really clogged cabin filter would also make things noisy.
Jack Cheese
AG
Awesome, thanks. Will check and update thread.
Jack Cheese
AG
Cabin air filter was grody and filthy! Swapped, ac running quiet again. Thanks for the common sense advice, much appreciated.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Cabin air filter was grody and filthy! Swapped, ac running quiet again. Thanks for the common sense advice, much appreciated.
Sure! Glad it was minor.

FWIW, when I lived in China, in the winter months the burn coal (where the cities heat water and run all throughout the city to homes and apartments to heat the floors) I was changing the cabin filter in my car every 6 weeks and it was nasty.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.