First totaled vehicle - will USAA haggle on their payout offer?

21,313 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Wonderer
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have luck negotiating insurance payment for total loss with Usaa? Wife was in wreck (both drivers ok), vehicle totaled, offer from Usaa a little low.

aggiepaintrain
AG
shoot for nada.com retail plus tax
if they are a lot lower than that and your wife was not at fault lawyer up.
In my experience the USAA claims process sucks.
Complete Idiot
My wife was at fault, would that impact vehicle offer? I wouldn't think so. If anything USAA will end up getting more money if she was at fault due to rates rising.

Actually, we have accident forgiveness (we'll see if that works)
The Wonderer
AG
Complete Idiot said:

My wife was at fault, would that impact vehicle offer? I wouldn't think so. If anything USAA will end up getting more money if she was at fault due to rates rising.

It should not impact vehicle value offer. Like was said, shoot for NADA retail plus taxes.

Accident forgiveness applies to your premium increasing, not vehicle value.
Complete Idiot
The Wonderer said:

Complete Idiot said:

It should not impact vehicle value offer. Like was said, shoot for NADA retail plus taxes.

Accident forgiveness applies to your premium increasing, not vehicle value.
Yes, I agreed in my post - should not impact offer value. Then I stated if anything USAA should be fairly generous since my premiums would go up and in theory they'd be making more money. However, I then remember I had accident forgiveness which in theory prevents the premium increase - but I've never put it to test or seen if they have exceptions.
Cadet05
AG
Find comparable vehicles for sale at cars.com near your location. Hire an independent adjuster to do a total loss valuation for you
agracer
AG
Cadet05 said:

Find comparable vehicles for sale at cars.com near your location. Hire an independent adjuster to do a total loss valuation for you
This. Look on Autotrader. cars.com, e-bay, craigslist and find cars with in a 50-mile radius with the same equipment, mileage, etc. and tell the adjuster as soon as he/she finds a car exactly like yours for the $$ they are offering you'll take the offer.
Complete Idiot
Thanks for all the feedback. They stated they won't accept NADA guides, KBB, etc - only sources that actually sell cars. They chose 4 comparables that were much lower mileage (12k or less per year) and that allowed them to make large mileage deductions. I've sent autotrader, and similar source, links that are more favorable to what I would expect and we'll see what they say. I've had USAA a looong time and have no complaints, and really have only a minor complaint here as they have processed the claim very fast (from accident to evaluation and offer in 24 hours). But I do hope they'll bend on the offer a bit since it seemed favorable to them. It's a 9 year old vehicle with 142.5K miles so we aren't talking much money difference here, but it all helps since this is an unexpected expense.
aggiepaintrain
AG
what's nada retail and what are they offering?
rancher1953
I had USAA insurance for 42 years. I recently dropped them after their support of the NFL. I am glad I did, I went with AMICA insurance and saving money. My son is in the Air Force and has been serving for 15 years, he told me that everyone in his unit and base are dropping USAA because of their support of the NFL. Will speak to my wife later today, she was an auto adjustor for State Farm for 37 years and get her thoughts on the accident.
Complete Idiot
aggiepaintrain said:

what's nada retail and what are they offering?
Using the online nadaguides I get $9850 Clean Retail, USAA is offering $8000. USAA deemed our vehicle's condition as "good", not sure if they have ranking above that, like "excellent', and that's why it's so far off from "Clean" retail. But they don't use nadaguides, and to be honest that nadaguide price seems high. I gave receipts for recent vehicle enhancements and comparables which would lead to a higher valuation, I asked for $9250.
The Wonderer
AG
be sure that they include taxes and TTL on the payment.
TulaneAg
I've never taken my insurance company's first offer on any of our totaled vehicles and I always get a little more out of it. As little as $250 up to ~$2,200 more.
Complete Idiot
TulaneAg said:

I've never taken my insurance company's first offer on any of our totaled vehicles and I always get a little more out of it. As little as $250 up to ~$2,200 more.
Thats good to know it works. I have to ask about "any of our" - how many are we talking about? I hope everyone was alright in all cases.
jsc8116
AG
They dont owe NADA as that is a dealership listing price, they owe you ACV (actual cash value). Dealerships will charge a markup/premium on a used car, which isnt the responsibility of an insurance company to pay you if you choose to purchase through a dealer, they owe you for what you would have been able to sell the car for right before the accident.

It you want to get look at a more accurate guide book for total loss purposes, look at Private Party on Kelly Blue Book to get to a more closer ball park figure.
Complete Idiot
jsc8116 said:

They dont owe NADA as that is a dealership listing price, they owe you ACV (actual cash value). Dealerships will charge a markup/premium on a used car, which isnt the responsibility of an insurance company to pay you if you choose to purchase through a dealer, they owe you for what you would have been able to sell the car for right before the accident.

It you want to get look at a more accurate guide book for total loss purposes, look at Private Party on Kelly Blue Book to get to a more closer ball park figure.
The insurance company determined the valuation based on used car listing at dealerships. They referenced and linked dealership listings.
jsc8116
AG
if they are using CCC for the eval , those dealer listinings are likely all rated as Dealer retail for the "condition ratings" which means will be higher that an "average/good" condition rating. The comps an insurance company gathers also can be from private sellers and the conditon rating will all be "average/good" on those listed comps. i bet you the major difference in the value of your car xompated to the comps listed is the adjustment or non adjustment of their condition ratings.
ATL Aggie
AG
I recently went through this process with USAA. It was not pleasant and I considered switching insurance. At the end of the day I was able to get a fair value but it took a long time and a lot of negotiating. Ironically, the thing that helped me the best was using USAA's car buying service used car listings because they generally had higher prices than what their appraiser was finding.
Complete Idiot
ATL Aggie said:

I recently went through this process with USAA. It was not pleasant and I considered switching insurance. At the end of the day I was able to get a fair value but it took a long time and a lot of negotiating. Ironically, the thing that helped me the best was using USAA's car buying service used car listings because they generally had higher prices than what their appraiser was finding.
Damn, why didn't I think of that. Nice recommendation.

Actually, I just looked and it's not too favorable to me. But it's a good suggestion to always check and throw their "own" prices back at them (I know they just link to TrueCar).
Complete Idiot
USAA moved lightning quick from accident to total loss offer - less than 48 hours. I then disputed their offer and provided the justifications they requested. Since then, 5 days and no feedback. They want you to cave and take their initial offer I assume.
The Wonderer
AG
Complete Idiot said:

USAA moved lightning quick from accident to total loss offer - less than 48 hours. I then disputed their offer and provided the justifications they requested. Since then, 5 days and no feedback. They want you to cave and take their initial offer I assume.
Yep, but they have a duty to act within a reasonable time frame. Just wait them out and if no response after a few more days, ask them where you are in the process.
Idiot Savant
AG
Just went through this same process after my wife totaled her car 2mos ago (she was at fault, just like yours), and we had a similar experience re: USAA moving quickly to total loss offer - and then the negotiations began. All in all, it wasn't painfully drawn-out, but make no mistake, it's a traditional negotiation. I provided comps, enhancements, etc., just as you have. I'm not sure if you included in your reported enhancements any non-routine maintenance items, such as an AC compressor, but they will give you credit, even if pro-rated. Ditto for recently replaced tires. One more thought - if you're already in the USAA-provided rental car, the clock is ticking... Stay the course, USAA has a great reputation for a reason.
Complete Idiot
Idiot Savant said:

Just went through this same process after my wife totaled her car 2mos ago (she was at fault, just like yours), and we had a similar experience re: USAA moving quickly to total loss offer - and then the negotiations began. All in all, it wasn't painfully drawn-out, but make no mistake, it's a traditional negotiation. I provided comps, enhancements, etc., just as you have. I'm not sure if you included in your reported enhancements any non-routine maintenance items, such as an AC compressor, but they will give you credit, even if pro-rated. Ditto for recently replaced tires. One more thought - if you're already in the USAA-provided rental car, the clock is ticking... Stay the course, USAA has a great reputation for a reason.
Thanks - its all new to me, luckily neither of us had ever had a serious accident or totaled a vehicle before.

I did provide a receipt for an enhancement and also provided the more favorable comps, just waiting for their review. It's been a week and still a fair amount of activity - bought a replacement vehicle for wife yesterday, got notification from USAA the other driver has settled their PROPERTY claim (not sure if there will be any medical), also got a certified letter from the company that towed it away about towing and storage costs - who pays for that? I would assume USAA but now have to arrange for that.
Duncan Idaho
If you don't need the cash immediately, I have had good luck getting more money by just stalling and refusing to sign any medical releases. Steal from Peter to pay Paul, if you have to. Just dragging my feet has made 15-20% difference between first offer and accepted.

I also put the onus on them, make then find you a car with similar miles and condition that sold. Assuming your car was either old or had a lot of miles and was a car where Mike's don't matter (civic, diessl pickup, specialty car)
Complete Idiot
2 days to total loss offer, then 2 weeks of radio silence after questioning the offer. If they want to make you wish you just took the initial lowball offer, then it's kinda working.
The Wonderer
AG
Complete Idiot said:

2 days to total loss offer, then 2 weeks of radio silence after questioning the offer. If they want to make you wish you just took the initial lowball offer, then it's kinda working.

Continue to reach out to them. Put the onus on them to respond. It makes you look better if you have to sue. They must move at reasonable speed to pay the claim.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.