Toyota Tundra Redesign

6,385 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgFromTN
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be in the market for a new truck soon and I'm interested in the Toyota Tundra. However I feel that current style is way past overdue for a complete overhaul, so I'd hate to buy a truck that will soon look outdated. Any news on what year they'll finally update the Tundra?

Tundra owners: Do you like your truck?
drumboy
AG
My 2012 has been great and I like it. 150K miles and only needed two new door lock actuators.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
KY AG
AG
MY2019 is supposed to be a re-design.

I expect it to be a mostly minor refresh, adopting a lot of the design language from the Tacoma. Kind of doubt powertrain gets updated.
coolerguy12
AG
I towed a space shuttle last week. Could barely tell it was there
EskimoJoe
Better buy the current one since there is no guarantee the redesigned one will be able to tow the space shuttle.
mts6175
AG
2020 is what I've heard on the redesign now.
JSKolache
AG
2008 purchased used. Would buy again for sure.
jh0400
AG
I have a 2016 DC 4x4 and love it. The only complaint I have is the gas mileage, but the 38 gallon tank makes it feel like it's not as bad.
saltydog13
AG
Love my 2017. Mpg's are 15-17. Only thing I would upgrade to would be a diesel if needed when we buy an RV.
TRIDENT
AG
I wish they'd make a crew cab with a 6.5' bed.
aggieforester05
AG
I like mine, but probably wouldn't buy another until they upgrade the powertrain. Mine gets 11.5mpg and the 2017 powertrain is the same as the 2007.
reproag
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I'll be in the market for a new truck soon and I'm interested in the Toyota Tundra. However I feel that current style is way past overdue for a complete overhaul, so I'd hate to buy a truck that will soon look outdated. Any news on what year they'll finally update the Tundra?

Tundra owners: Do you like your truck?
As far as I'm told there are no plans on a major overhaul. Next two major overhauls are supposed to be in 2019 for the 4Runner and 2020 for the Sequoia.

2016 got minor change; tow brakes and 38 gallon gas tank

2018 changes were anti collision, lane deviation assist, auto high beams, dynamic radar cruse, new grill, and new instrument cluster.
saltydog13
AG
Also I bought mine for the reliability reputation. The gas mileage may be worse than other half tons, but if you add it up it really doesn't make much difference
drumboy
AG
TRIDENT said:

I think they did make this configuration for a while but only in the Platinum trim level.
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

reproag
AG
drumboy said:

TRIDENT said:

I think they did make this configuration for a while but only in the Platinum trim level.
All tundras have the same overall length. The only way to get a 6.5' bed is in the double cab. All Crew max beds are 5.5'.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I went and looked at a few Tundras at the local dealership today. They are pretty dang nice. I sat in a CrewMax 1794 edition. I'm not sure what 1794 means. I was surprised how low it set to the ground compared to my F-150
JSKolache
AG
aggieforester05 said:

I like mine, but probably wouldn't buy another until they upgrade the powertrain. Mine gets 11.5mpg and the 2017 powertrain is the same as the 2007.
It's a 32-valve aluminum block 5.7L pushing 400 lb/ft, what upgrade did you have in mind? V6 turbo?? I kid...

I'm at 15.9mpg lifetime in 4x2 ext cab, with 4.30 gears. Granted 90% is highway
drumboy
AG
reproag said:

drumboy said:

TRIDENT said:

All tundras have the same overall length. The only way to get a 6.5' bed is in the double cab. All Crew max beds are 5.5'.
I swear I remember seeing that Platinums were available with Crewmax 6.5' bed for a couple years.

I've also seen DC long beds and SCSB so they're not all the same length.

Pahdz
I have a 2015 CrewMax 5.7 with the GST TRS "Off Road" package, which probably makes it a worse off-road vehicle but it looks nice.

Only grip is not the mileage but the microscopic gas tank, but that was corrected in the 2016 model

The infotainment system is pretty bad, but other than that I love the truck.
aggieforester05
AG
beefiedoubleoh said:

aggieforester05 said:

It's a 32-valve aluminum block 5.7L pushing 400 lb/ft, what upgrade did you have in mind? V6 turbo?? I kid...

The 5.7L is a hell of a motor, but it is long in the tooth and the fuel economy is below the competition. Mine has the TRD supercharger, so I'm already used to quiet a bit more power. Since they don't offer it anymore, you can only buy it from Magnuson and that means your factory powertrain warranty is likely going to be denied for most anything in the driveline.

The 8-speed transmission from the sequoia would be nice, as would a part time all wheel drive system like the landcruiser, both of which are already behind the 5.7L. A limited slip differential should have been installed since 2007, one wheel peel sucks and is downright dangerous when you're trying to merge and can't hook.

As far as engines, a twin turbo direct injected 4.6L with hybrid assist would be a hell of a motor. A small displacement twin turbo V8 will have great high end horsepower and mid range. The hybrid assist will make up any lack of torque at low rpms, due to the low displacement and ever present turbo lag. Coupled with an 8-speed or greater ****** it will make good power everywhere and should be able to comparatively sip gas in the OD gears.
spider96
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I went and looked at a few Tundras at the local dealership today. They are pretty dang nice. I sat in a CrewMax 1794 edition. I'm not sure what 1794 means. I was surprised how low it set to the ground compared to my F-150

Quote:

Founded on Texas Tradition
From horses and cattle to horsepower and trucks, the oldest working ranch in Texas becomes the first Texas pickup truck automotive plant.

Few places are as linked to the history of San Antonio and early Texas as the JLC Ranch.

In 1794, a young colonist from the Canary Islands, Juan Ignacio de Casanova, received a royal grant for a league of rolling pastureland between Leon Creek and the Medina River. On this fertile land, he established El Rancho de la Purisima Concepcion, and later expanded his holdings to more than 24,000 acres.
drumboy
AG
spider96 said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

Quote:

From horses and cattle to horsepower and trucks, the oldest working ranch in Texas becomes the first Texas pickup truck automotive plant.

Few places are as linked to the history of San Antonio and early Texas as the JLC Ranch.

In 1794, a young colonist from the Canary Islands, Juan Ignacio de Casanova, received a royal grant for a league of rolling pastureland between Leon Creek and the Medina River. On this fertile land, he established El Rancho de la Purisima Concepcion, and later expanded his holdings to more than 24,000 acres.

From what I understand him or his family running the ranch supported the wrong side in the Texas Revolution.

TRIDENT
AG
If you have family/friends, a boat and 7' fishing rods, a 5.5' bed won't cut it. I need to be able to lock up my rods, ice chests, tackle, etc. under a locking bed cover so that I can go inside gas stations, restaurants, hotels, etc. and not have all my expensive gear walk off on me. It won't fit in a short box and I need the cab room. Until Toyota gets it figured out, they are off the list of trucks I (and a lot of other outdoorsman) would consider.
Aggietaco
AG
Buy a double cab Tundra and get a long bed. Not everyone needs a Dodge Megacab sized rear seat.
KY AG
AG
Hey bud - not to go all pythagorean theorem on you here - but the diagonal on the 5.5' bed is 94", or almost 8 feet. The 7' pole will fit.

spider96
AG
drumboy said:

spider96 said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

Quote:

From what I understand him or his family running the ranch supported the wrong side in the Texas Revolution.
Viva La Reconquista!
saltydog13
AG
Even if they redesign, it'll more than likely be a disappointment to most. It's just what toyota does. Just hope they don't discontinue or ruin the 4runner with the 3.5 like they did with the Tacoma.
reproag
AG
drumboy said:

reproag said:

drumboy said:

TRIDENT said:

I swear I remember seeing that Platinums were available with Crewmax 6.5' bed for a couple years.

I've also seen DC long beds and SCSB so they're not all the same length.
I should have said all Crew Max have the same over all length. 2004-2006 Tundras had 4 doors and a 6.5' bed but was called a double cab. The back seat was a little bigger then todays DC but not as big as the the Crew Max. Tundra Crew Max started in 2007 and has only been available in a 5.5' bed. Today you can get a DC in 6.5 or 8.1 bed. Sorry for the miscommunication.
TRIDENT
AG
I'm a big dude and I have a couple of teenage sons, so a full crew cab is mandatory. I know rods *will* fit in a Tundra crew bed. We have taken my friend's Tundra from Texas down south of New Orleans to fish the marsh. Although it is a super nice rig, it was tough to get all of our gear in the back. I personally won't fight that battle every time I go fishing or hunting. An extra foot in the bed makes a big difference. In any case I'm going to try to wear out my old Duramax crew and I only have 140,000 on it, so not likely to be in the market anytime soon.
ILikeTacos
AG
aggieforester05 said:

beefiedoubleoh said:

aggieforester05 said:

The 5.7L is a hell of a motor, but it is long in the tooth and the fuel economy is below the competition. Mine has the TRD supercharger, so I'm already used to quiet a bit more power. Since they don't offer it anymore, you can only buy it from Magnuson and that means your factory powertrain warranty is likely going to be denied for most anything in the driveline.

The 8-speed transmission from the sequoia would be nice, as would a part time all wheel drive system like the landcruiser, both of which are already behind the 5.7L. A limited slip differential should have been installed since 2007, one wheel peel sucks and is downright dangerous when you're trying to merge and can't hook.

As far as engines, a twin turbo direct injected 4.6L with hybrid assist would be a hell of a motor. A small displacement twin turbo V8 will have great high end horsepower and mid range. The hybrid assist will make up any lack of torque at low rpms, due to the low displacement and ever present turbo lag. Coupled with an 8-speed or greater ****** it will make good power everywhere and should be able to comparatively sip gas in the OD gears.

Here is what I don't get about the Auto board is we get truly decent ideas like this, and then like to ***** that a truck costs $60,000. We are supposed to add a hybrid battery system and turbos to a motor and expect it to still be $30,000. It's amazing.
saltydog13
AG
I'll take my 5.7 and 15 mpg average and stay with the $35,000 truck
aggieforester05
AG
I didn't say anything about money, I spend enough time worrying about costs at work. The vehicles I build in my head rarely take that into consideration. Power is my number one concern and then I justify it with improved fuel economy.
bam02
AG
Aggietaco said:

Buy a double cab Tundra and get a long bed. Not everyone needs a Dodge Megacab sized rear seat.

This. We have a '14 crewmax. Really like it overall, but often resent the short bed. Plus I think it looks dumb. For some reason, I didn't even consider the double cabs and really wish I would have. Enough room for us (kids 8 and 5 now) and a real bed.
coolerguy12
AG
It's all about having that back window roll down. There are benefits to being able to replace all the air in the truck in 2 seconds if you know what I mean.
ftworthag02
AG
I have '13 tundra crew max 5.7L w/ 80k miles and love it other than gas mileage. Plenty of room, great ride, and a lot of power. Haven't had any problems other than a Mexican running a stop sign and hitting me on the front corner, hit & run.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.