Rental Review -- Rav4

1,431 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Complete Idiot
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a wheel well issue, so I dropped off my car yesterday. Walked to the rental agency next door and picked up a Rav4. I believe it was a 2017 model, as it was brand new with only 200 miles on it. I've driven a Rav4 before -- when I bought a Tacoma in 2014, they had to get it in from another dealership, so I had the loaner for a day.

The front seat room is a plus. This is a smaller SUV but doesn't feel small to the driver or the front seat passenger. As this was a standard model with limited features, the seat movement was manual and did not adjust up and down. That was a problem for me as, while I don't think of myself as tall, it appears that anyone over about 5-9 might have some driver viewing issues. The roof line comes down pretty far in the front and the rearview mirror has a huge box of wiring and controls behind it. This obstructs the view of most average sized and taller men. My wife, who road in it last night, didn't think it would be an issue for her, but she's 5-5. Either way, never buy one of these without powered seats that go up and down as well. I didn't get in the back seat; think mid-sized car room but a little easier to get in and out of.

I would never buy a vehicle with a 4 cylinder and that's all the Rav4 comes with. It isn't a total chore to enter the highway, but I can imagine passing and keeping up with traffic over 70 is going to be tough. While not particularly noisy, quietness is not a plus, especially at higher speeds. This is an around town only vehicle with limited use on the highway to get from one part of town to the other. The exception might be for someone who's single that needs to carry some gear -- say, a drummer who regularly gigs and takes all his stuff. An occasional 3 hour trip in this vehicle isn't going to kill anyone, but you won't want to do that regularly.

I took some boxes to my off-site storage place this morning and the back (with only the second row up; don't even know if there is 3rd row seating available) is surprisingly roomy. I also like the styling of the vehicle. In my view, it is a very good looking SUV. If you need extras like premium seats, leather, etc., it appears you just need to step up to the Highlander. However, I wouldn't sell this vehicle short, especially for a woman commuter with a 20 mile or less commute and maybe one kid, who's husband has a better road worthy vehicle.
DannyDuberstein
AG
My parents bought one about a year ago. They are in their mid-70's, so it is a good car for them. Reliable and reasonably sized. I've driven it several times, and while there's not much power to it, I didn't have any complaints vs. what I was expecting.
sts7049
AG
RIP RAV4 v6
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
sts7049 said:

RIP RAV4 v6
Wish they'd bring the turbodiesel one stateside.
Complete Idiot
I'm of a similar age, so I get the thought process, but it's a little antiquated to discount four cylinders due to a lack of power. The 2018 Accord for example comes with a 252 hp/273 Torque engine. A 1995 V6 CHevy Blazer came with a 190 HP/260 Torque engine (if my quick search is correct).
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Complete Idiot said:

I'm of a similar age, so I get the thought process, but it's a little antiquated to discount four cylinders due to a lack of power. The 2018 Accord for example comes with a 252 hp/273 Torque engine. A 1995 V6 CHevy Blazer came with a 190 HP/260 Torque engine (if my quick search is correct).

Chevys Vortec 5.7L V8 was 255 in the mid 90s....Ford was putting 245 out of their 5.8L V8.

Dont forget our FZJ80s with their spicy 212 hp....was so much more than FJ80....
jeffag02
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Complete Idiot said:

Chevys Vortec 5.7L V8 was 255 in the mid 90s....Ford was putting 245 out of their 5.8L V8.

Dont forget our FZJ80s with their spicy 212 hp....was so much more than FJ80....

Don't forget Corvettes of the late 70s and early 80s came with 350s with less than 200hp some years and did 0-60 in 8-9 seconds. Now your midsize 4 door does that or better with the A/C running and 2 kids in the back seat.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
jef***02 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Complete Idiot said:

Don't forget Corvettes of the late 70s and early 80s came with 350s with less than 200hp some years and did 0-60 in 8-9 seconds. Now your midsize 4 door does that or better with the A/C running and 2 kids in the back seat.
Yup! The choked down emissions and vac lines galore of the 70s...where a 455 engine dropped from 340hp to 250hp....[insert laugh/cry here]
txags92
AG
My sister just bought a 2017 Rav4 LE, which is the base model, and hers has a manual lever to raise and lower the drivers seat height. Did you maybe mistakenly think it was the seat back tilt lever? It is on the left side base of the drivers seat. I havent driven hers, but riding in it, I was impressed with the interior space and ride for what she was paying.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I did not investigate thoroughly. I had a 2014 Tacoma with a manual seat and assumed it was similar.
reproag
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

I did not investigate thoroughly. I had a 2014 Tacoma with a manual seat and assumed it was similar.
FYI all Rav4 seats adjust up and down either with the lever or power. All Tacoma seats are manual and do not adjust up or down.
The Lost
Complete Idiot said:

While i agree with the thesis of you can't completely judge and engine by its cylinders anymore, it;s too bad it doesn't have the accord engine, it has this instead:
2.5-Liter 4-Cylinder DOHC 16-Valve with Dual VVT-i, 176 hp @ 6000 rpm/172 lb.-ft. @ 4100 rpm
https://www.toyota.com/rav4/features/mechanical_performance/4430/4435/4440

that's less power than my '01 explorer. it was a big reason why i went truck instead of suv when i was looking to replace it, the nicer engines were in higher models that i didn't want to pay for.

i tried to drive the cherokee and it was brutal too.
Complete Idiot
The Lost said:

Complete Idiot said:

While i agree with the thesis of you can't completely judge and engine by its cylinders anymore, it;s too bad it doesn't have the accord engine, it has this instead:
2.5-Liter 4-Cylinder DOHC 16-Valve with Dual VVT-i, 176 hp @ 6000 rpm/172 lb.-ft. @ 4100 rpm
https://www.toyota.com/rav4/features/mechanical_performance/4430/4435/4440

that's less power than my '01 explorer. it was a big reason why i went truck instead of suv when i was looking to replace it, the nicer engines were in higher models that i didn't want to pay for.

i tried to drive the cherokee and it was brutal too.
That CR-V engine is a bit weak, for sure. It is about 500-600 pounds lighter than a 2001 Explorer, but it's weak no doubt. I think CR-V buyers aren't at all performance oriented so probably targeting their market. I wouldn't buy it as a daily driver.

However, my reply was addressing the comment in the original post where he stated he "would never buy a 4 cylinder car". It wasn't really specific to the CR-V.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.