Weird sqeauky noise--help diagnose

740 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aad03
ChiveOn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a '13 Tahoe that had a complete front brake job back in May. In last 30 days, I've started experiencing a rhythmic squeak (metal on metal sounding) in the left front wheel area when moving forward between 3-20 miles an hour. It does not happen moving in reverse, and does not come up outside that range of speed. my dad is thinking it's the brakes, I think it's something different, may be the wheel area

I know it's not a lot to go on, but any help is appreciated
aad03
AG
I bet it's the brake pad clips, if the '13 Tahoe uses those. I had my front brake pads replaced on my '14 F250, and I got a rhythmic squeak as I rolled to a stop with light brake pressure. Took it back to the same mechanic, he said everything looks good.

So, I Googled and YouTubed front brake noises, until I found a video that explained that when mechanics install new brake pads, they almost never install the new hardware that comes with it. The old hardware gets dirty and corroded, and can start squeaking. So I installed a new set of brake pads myself, with the included hardware, with a little brake grease, and the squeak was gone. I'll find the video that helped me, and I'll post a link.
Class of '03
aad03
AG
Here, watch this.

Class of '03
ChiveOn
AG
so it looks like I need replace them...again. by chance do you think I can clean up the area with brake cleaner achieve some result?
TexAg1987
ChiveOn said:

so it looks like I need replace them...again. by chance do you think I can clean up the area with brake cleaner achieve some result?
If the pads are still good, you can buy just the brake hardware
aad03
AG
It's not necessary to replace the pads, just get the correct hardware kit. They are less than $10. Make sure you use some brake grease on the clips too.
Class of '03
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.