Has anyone replaced a steering wheel before?

895 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 80085
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My '08 Pilot wheel is pretty worn and I'd like to go with a leather wheel to replace it rather than one of the cheesy steering wheel covers. From what I've ready online it seems like a straightforward procedure. Is this a pretty easy DIY project? Are there any pitfalls in regards to the airbag or the procedure in general I should be aware of? Finally, where would yall recommend buying a steering wheel?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I've done tons of them.

When I buy a used car, I usually replace the wheel with a new leather wrapped one. Its a reasonable cost for a refreshed feel and look.

If you can do without the car for a few days, you can ship it to Craft Customs in Dallas and they can re-wrap it, add wood, perforated leather etc.

If not, Honda usually sells new wheels that you just swap.

For me, I bough a used wheel off ebay and ship it to craft, then when it goes to me, I'll install it on the vehicle.

If you're patient, you can also try wheelskins, but I dont usually like the results because I cant ever get it to look original.
AG
not on a honda, but yes I've replaced a few

unhook battery before doing anything to airbag wiring, but first drive back and forth in the driveway a dozen times without touching the wheel to make sure its straight. take apart, put back together. I don't know if you'll need a puller. Newer stuff doesn't seem to need one, but it still takes some effort to pull the wheel off. Leave the nut or bolt partially threaded to keep from breaking your nose when it lets loose.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
robertf03 said:

not on a honda, but yes I've replaced a few

unhook airbag. drive back and forth in the driveway a dozen times without touching the wheel to make sure its straight. take apart, put back together. I don't know if you'll need a puller. Newer stuff doesn't seem to need one, but it still takes some effort to pull the wheel off. Leave the nut or bolt partially threaded to keep from breaking your nose when it lets loose.

To add to roberts post, if you keep the orginal wheel, you can use a paint pen to mark the wheel in orientation with the steering shaft.

Most domestic cars are keyed so they're only installed in one position.

Most asian cars typically don't have this keyed arrangement, and its just splines, so you can get 'close' and kind of play with the placement, which is a PITA.

Also on Toyotas and Hondas, if you DO start the car with the airbag removed, you will need to go to the dealer to reset or have someone with a SRS computer clear the codes after you put it back on.
AG
you quoted before it caught my edit, I meant to say battery not airbag

euro cars are the same way.

I checked with that place in Rockwall about redoing the leather. $$$$$$$. I know good work isn't cheap, but I could almost buy another Disco for that much.

ReloadAg
AG
Thanks for all the information so far guys. Is there a good site for buying OEM parts?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Quote:

I checked with that place in Rockwall about redoing the leather. $$$$$$$. I know good work isn't cheap, but I could almost buy another Disco for that much.

I just saw that. Also LOL'd at your comment....

Last I checked Craft charged less than 200 to rewrap a wheel....
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
A new wheel is 220 dollars from Honda.

I'd just replace it.
AG
$375 was my quote. something about the stitching being different.

$220 is a bargain for a new leather wheel. It'll feel like a newish car for a few weeks.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.