Jeep suggestions - Sport vs. Willys vs. Rubicon?

7,547 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieOE12
bayouaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Back story - I'm looking to buy a motorhome and Jeep toad in the next 6 months. Jeep will not be a daily driver but mostly used as a toad and weekend toy. Plan to take lots of trips to state parks, national parks, and enjoy the great outdoors with our three young kids. I want to go down dirt roads and explore away from the "home base" of the motorhome. No plans to do any serious rock climbing, etc. Not going to go crazy with modifications - plan to change out front bumper for a RockHard bumper to fit tow brackets and run electrical harness for towing, then head down the road.

What Jeep to buy? According to the Jeep website there are 13 different models - really? I went and looked on the lot today just to poke around and the guy helping me was pretty helpful. Showed me the differences between some of the different models on the lot (Sport/Sahara/Rubicon), basically confirming that a Sahara is just a Sport with more aesthetic badging (color match top/fenders/bumpers, etc) and not worth the extra money - I agreed. Also looked at a Rubicon but you obviously can't see most of the differences (suspension, etc).

Price comparison - Using the cars.com app for vehicles in Houston area (rather than the MSRP sticker), it appears the comparison is roughly Sport for $34.5k, Willys for $36.5k, Big Bear for $37.5k, and Rubicon for $40k. Looks like the real difference is the suspension and 4WD system. Sport is normal suspension, Big Bear has heavy duty suspension with gas shocks, and Willys/Rubicon have performance suspension. Rubicon also has the RockTrac 4WD system upgrade.

What is the best bang for the buck? How are the different suspensions compared for normal highway riding vs. dirt road exploring? Any recommendations from Jeep owners out there? Just starting my research so any tips are welcome!
Flaith
AG
I think you can pretty easily cross the Rubicon off your list. It doesn't sound like you need the factory locker or any of the other stuff.

My vote would be a manual transmission Sport. Take it on some trips and see if you would benefit by adding lift/tires/etc. That way you don't sink a bunch of money on a tow vehicle and can always modify later. It could even be something you do with your kids before/after the trips.
longeryak
Willy's gets my vote for what it includes at its price point.
The Wonderer
AG
Base model Sport with the manual and install some take off 17s with 33s. Then add front and rear bumpers, etc. as Flaith said and move forward. The Willys offers a lot of electro-gadgets like stability, bluetooth, traction control, etc. The Sport is basically just a Jeep with a drivetrain and interior.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The Wonderer said:

Base model Sport with the manual and install some take off 17s with 33s. Then add front and rear bumpers, etc. as Flaith said and move forward. The Willys offers a lot of electro-gadgets like stability, bluetooth, traction control, etc. The Sport is basically just a Jeep with a drivetrain and interior.
Agreed.

If I ever bought a Brahmobile, I'd buy a sport and go from there.
The Wonderer
AG
Also, Sports are easy to upgrade as you go if you look for deals on CL and Jeep forums for take offs of nicer models as people upgrade.
pdtnation
AG
The 2018 year model is all new. They are supposed to officially start hitting dealer lots in January. They are allegedly offering both the JK and JL side by side for a few months. Rumor is the JK will be offered at a discount.

Something to consider
Aggietaco
AG
For a dinghy and kick-around Jeep, is there any reason to not look at a used YJ/TJ? Not much HP to be had, but much cheaper and less weight.
javajaws
AG
Sport all the way. You should be able to get 10% off list. Throw some Rubi wheel/tire takeoffs on there from craigslist. You can also usually find some Rubi rock rails as well for less than $100 (30 minute bolt on job).

Not much difference in suspension other than shocks/springs - and those are super easy to replace if you find the need. The Rubi is only worth it if you want the lockers, upgraded D44 front axle, and 4:1 transfer case. Doesn't sound like you really need any of that.
SCHTICK00
AG
Did the exact same thing. Motorhome, Jayco Seneca, and JKU Sahara with standard transmission. Lifted the jeep and added 35's. Towed so easy I didn't know it was there. Two months later, kept the jeep and sold the motorhome. 3 kids btw.
tmas
AG
Did the same though mine is my daily driver. Sport with manual transmission. Just make sure you get the 3.73 gears.
ac04
i went sport, manual, 3.73 as well
AgTech88
AG
We had same decision in 2014 when the Wiley's first came out. At that time there was a bigger price jump from Wiley's to Rubicon - and the Wiley's had most of the extra off road gear you get on the rubicon but less of the luxury bells and whistles. We went with the Wiley's.
Now that we are doing more off roading, I wish we would have gone with the rubicon. If your not lokking for the lockers etc. the sport is the way to go IMHO
bayouaggie
AG
Thanks all for the replies. Still doing research, but I'm really digging the Gobi brown Willys - not sure why but I just keep going back to it. Forgot to mention that wife said it must be an auto (she doesn't want to drive a stick and told me she will get to drive it). Guess that's the tradeoff for getting a second toy car....

I've emailed some dealers and the best price so far is around $36,500 for a 2018 JK WW 24W with the hard top and LED lights (roughly $300 under invoice per the sheet I got - confirmed by building it myself through the CostcoAuto site). Figured I'll put all the other options in myself with stuff that I want. Sounds like they are still gonna run the 2018 JK til at least Jan, so have a few months to make up my mind. After that, there will only be new 2018 JLs running through the plant.

Still thinking so appreciate any other thoughts.....
cohibasymas
AG
We're full time RVers and tow a Jeep behind the motorhome. We went the complete opposite route from you and I bought a 95 YJ for $5300 that was well taken care of from a friend, about as stock as you can get except 31" tires, and put about $1000 into with with a new top and LED brake lights (the old ones were so poor we were afraid someone would rear-end us when we were towing).

Currently in Kanab Utah with myriad opportunities to go off-roading. To be honest, I almost never do, because if I do something stupid or screw something up, it's my ONLY car out here, and the logistics of that while you're out traveling can become nightmarish, believe me.

Get the Jeep you want, but make sure to give special attention to the mandatory towing and braking accessories. Our jeep had a cheap tow bar already on it, so I kept it. If I was doing this again I'd have a Blue Ox baseplate installed so I could use the Blue Ox hitch that my MH came with. Also don't forget to factor in the braking system. We went with an RVI2. I got a steal on a gently used one, but the new RVI3 is about $1300 I believe.

Weight is also a real factor. If you're in a big gasser (34' v10) like me, even an extra 1000 pounds pulling around especially through the mountains and in high altitude is a really big deal. Even in a big pusher weight is a consideration - I was talking to a neighbor in the RV park yesterday with a 42' pusher. His rig weights 33K lbs bone dry, not to mention the 1000s of lbs of stuff in the house and his 5000lb Cadillac toad. I'd love a new 4 dr Jeep but frankly pulling that thing around with my rig would be a PIA. Make sure you'll be well within your GVCW; you wouldn't believe how fast the weight will add up just from the stuff you put in the house.

Good luck! The jeep is by far the easiest toad on the road.
JSKolache
AG
10 yr old sport
AggieOE12
AG
As a current Rubi owner... get a the Sport but the one with power windows and 17" wheels. Since it's a tow vehicle and non DD... I'd suggest soft top so it's easy to go to open skies.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.