Midsize SUV Recommendations and Advice

4,200 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PrestigeWorldwideAg12
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, I should have said it wasn't recommended. They predicted poor reliability. Maybe with the new warranty it would be okay.
Waltonloads08
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Yeah, I should have said it wasn't recommended. They predicted poor reliability. Maybe with the new warranty it would be okay.

I didn't see that, but yeah Volkswagen isn't Toyota, but it's also much cheaper, so I can't say that makes it a bad deal. 6 years / 72,000 is pretty solid, I imagine they are doing that to encourage long term financing, which is becoming the reality for a lot of car buyers, sadly. Incomes are stagnant and cars are more expensive.
SteveA
AG
The atlas is sweet. I've been driving one for 3 weeks while my GTI is I. The shop.... lol stay away
The Dog Lord
AG
I've liked my Explorer so far. Was shopping around after having an 05 Tundra for 12 years and decided to go SUV this time around. Looked at larger ones like Tahoes but decided against it for various reasons.

The Explorer seemed bigger than most of the mid-size options, had as good of a third row as could be expected (have sat in the back with another adult for short rides which is all I expect to use it for). Although I liked my Toyota's longevity, I wasn't impressed by some of the current options (unless you're willing to spend a TON). Their SUVs felt sluggish and didn't have a lot of features compared to most other brands. The one plus of the 4-runner was that it's more truck-like, but I'm not planning to be off-road in anything that my Explorer couldn't handle.

I got the standard V6 with a factory towing package which includes an upgraded transmission and a few other features (this isn't advertised for some reason but can be verified when comparing the parts numbers). I've really enjoyed the features it has that I wasn't even concerned about (12 years definitely makes a difference in what comes standard).

I like to keep cars for awhile (again, 12 years previously), and I've known several people that have kept Fords for quite awhile. To give myself peace of mind, I got an extended warranty that covers almost everything for essentially any reason. If I have to make even one mid-level repair, it'll basically pay for itself.
AliasMan02
AG
Drove the VW Atlas S yesterday, both the 4 and 6 cylinder. Also drove the Toyota Highlander LE Plus for a second time. Felt like there was no real reason to go with the V6 over the V4 Atlas if the S trim works for you. We won't be towing anything or whatever. V4 felt fine for the wife.

Both fit the stroller in the back with the 3rd row up. The Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento do not.

Feels like the Toyota drives a little better. The Atlas feels a little "floaty" on its suspension. Thought I was imagining it until I saw other people online say the same.

Toyota has way better tech and interior at the lower trim levels, but an upgraded Atlas to bring it into line is still cheaper.

Other than price, the biggest Atlas advantage is a great third row. Comfortable for an adult, where the Highlander is cramped.

CR has the Highlander #1 and doesn't recommend the Atlas due to concerns over reliability, but the Atlas now had its 6 year warranty so that balances somewhat.

Lots of pros and cons.
SteveA
AG
They have a huge warranty because you will need it. I drove one for about 3 weeks. Infotainment has issues, transmission studdered, and there were fit and finish issues. They are cheap though. My GTI has had 15 warranty repairs for several issues. If you are deciding between the atlas and the Hilander, go Toyota.
AliasMan02
AG
SteveA said:

They have a huge warranty because you will need it. I drove one for about 3 weeks. Infotainment has issues, transmission studdered, and there were fit and finish issues. They are cheap though. My GTI has had 15 warranty repairs for several issues. If you are deciding between the atlas and the Hilander, go Toyota.

Leaning that way but need to take the long view and not be a cheapskate about it. I've never had a car payment and haaaaaaate debt. Gonna just have to get over it.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
You cannot go wrong with Toyota as an overall package. Longevity, service, long term value, ride quality, overall vehicle quality, etc...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.