Got rear-ended. First wreck, lots of questions...

4,338 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aTm2004 said:

YellAg2004 said:

Thanks for the responses.

The other driver (who hit me) got transported, but I believe is OK. She has been texting my wife today (they exchanged #s) asking for all my info. My wife already told her yesterday that it should all be in the police report, but she has asked for more today. Is there any issue with providing the requested info (my name, DL #, license plate, truck year/make/model, and any pictures I took)?
I wouldn't provide anything to her. She can get all of that from the police report (which you have to buy...yay!), and her insurance can get all of that from yours.
Anytime I've gotten in a wreck, the LEO filled out a sheet for both parties that contains all the pertinent info of the other party (name/contact, insurance and vehicle info). I didn't need to pay for a police report to get this.

Also, if there's one thing you learned, make your rental coverage equal to your daily driver. The difference in my monthly premium for a compact rental vs a truck rental is a few bucks. I've used it twice, and so when the time comes I don't have to stress about it. Doesn't make any sense at all to specify a compact on your rental reimbursement if you drive a truck.

aTm2004
AG
62strat said:

aTm2004 said:

YellAg2004 said:

The other driver (who hit me) got transported, but I believe is OK. She has been texting my wife today (they exchanged #s) asking for all my info. My wife already told her yesterday that it should all be in the police report, but she has asked for more today. Is there any issue with providing the requested info (my name, DL #, license plate, truck year/make/model, and any pictures I took)?
I wouldn't provide anything to her. She can get all of that from the police report (which you have to buy...yay!), and her insurance can get all of that from yours.
Anytime I've gotten in a wreck, the LEO filled out a sheet for both parties that contains all the pertinent info of the other party (name/contact, insurance and vehicle info). I didn't need to pay for a police report to get this.

Also, if there's one thing you learned, make your rental coverage equal to your daily driver. The difference in my monthly premium for a compact rental vs a truck rental is a few bucks. I've used it twice, and so when the time comes I don't have to stress about it. Doesn't make any sense at all to specify a compact on your rental reimbursement if you drive a truck.

My insurance and the other driver's insurance wanted the police report that showed who was at fault. I got the piece of paper you talked about, but it wasn't the official report with the city, which is what the insurance companies want. Keep the receipt and you'll get it back when their insurance pays.

Also, the insurance companies will purchase it, but it will take them a couple of weeks to receive it. If you buy it, you have it in .pdf right away and can email it to them and get the process rolling faster.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
The Wonderer
AG
aTm2004 said:

62strat said:

aTm2004 said:

YellAg2004 said:

My insurance and the other driver's insurance wanted the police report that showed who was at fault. I got the piece of paper you talked about, but it wasn't the official report with the city, which is what the insurance companies want. Keep the receipt and you'll get it back when their insurance pays.

Also, the insurance companies will purchase it, but it will take them a couple of weeks to receive it. If you buy it, you have it in .pdf right away and can email it to them and get the process rolling faster.
This.
62strat
AG
The Wonderer said:

aTm2004 said:

62strat said:

aTm2004 said:

YellAg2004 said:

This.

My response was regarding the other party asking the wife for personal info (name, DL#, insurance, vehicle info, etc). The other party shouldn't have to ask for that, because the LEO should have given them that info. It had nothing to do with insurance wanting police reports.

But to respond to insurance wanting report, I've never had my insurance company ask for that. That is their job. But, USAA is a different animal. For my few wrecks, at fault or not, I have a rental car set up within a few minutes of my phone call to them reporting the accident, and I just leave my wrecked car at Enterprise (assuming driveable, otherwise tow driver takes me there). I don't have to pay out of pocket for a report to 'get the ball rolling'.
USAA works directly with enterprise and their collision repair shops, so after repair, I can leave rental where I pick up my truck.

USAA does claims right. Never have to coordinate rides or payments, or pay out of pocket for reports to help start their process.
The Wonderer
AG
The insurance company can and does request the report. It took my company 3+ weeks and still didn't have it and they would not close the claim and pay me until they read the report. I had a copy from two days after the accident and emailed it to them. They called and began closing the claim within 10 minutes of receiving the report that said I was not at fault. They just are not as efficient at acquiring things as people are. Nature of the beast.
DadAG10
62strat said:

The Wonderer said:

aTm2004 said:

62strat said:

My response was regarding the other party asking the wife for personal info (name, DL#, insurance, vehicle info, etc). The other party shouldn't have to ask for that, because the LEO should have given them that info. It had nothing to do with insurance wanting police reports.

Different municipalities will have different procedures regarding reports.

Locally reports are not available until 24-48 hours after the accident, and you can get a copy at a local precinct. Last time I believe the cost was around $5.

Insurance companies will also get copies at a bulk rate but takes 10-14 days.
DadAG10
The Wonderer said:

They just are not as efficient at acquiring things as people are. Nature of the beast.
When they are investigating 100's of claims at a time and have 20-30 municipalities to deal with, it is easy to see why it takes more time than a single individual going to a local police station to get a copy.
The Wonderer
AG
DadAG10 said:

The Wonderer said:

They just are not as efficient at acquiring things as people are. Nature of the beast.
When they are investigating 100's of claims at a time and have 20-30 municipalities to deal with, it is easy to see why it takes more time than a single individual going to a local police station to get a copy.
Exactly.
Kenneth_2003
AG
DadAG10 said:

62strat said:

The Wonderer said:

aTm2004 said:

62strat said:

Locally reports are not available until 24-48 hours after the accident, and you can get a copy at a local precinct. Last time I believe the cost was around $5.

That's assuming the officer actually does that in a timely manner in accordance with dept policy. When officer knucklehead doesn't... You have to get to call and speak with a shift supervisor asking why a report from an accident 8 business (12 calendar) days ago isn't complete. Shift supervisor apparently knows the quickest way to get delinquent reports written is to shove his boot up an officers as. It apparently gets reports written faster! Found at least two errors one the report
62strat
AG
DadAG10 said:

62strat said:

The Wonderer said:

aTm2004 said:

62strat said:

I'm gonna say it again, I'm not talking about a police or accident report. I'm talking about personal information that an LEO takes down at the site of accident (when he gets both of your insurance cards/licenses). I've always received a yellow sheet of paper that was strictly the personal info of the other party. It had no accident information on it. Just the cop transferring personal info onto a form and giving it to the other party. I always figured it was part of their job when they show up to an accident, since people often forget to do it.
YellAg2004
AG
Regarding the personal info, I received the paper with all her info. I'm assuming she didn't get the same piece of paper because she was transported via ambulance. We never responded to her text request and there hasn't been any subsequent request made for the info, so I'm assuming all who needed the info have gotten it one way or another.

I did get some good news yesterday that the adjuster didn't total the truck, so it is in the process of getting to the body shop to get fixed. I'm not planning on holding on to it much longer, but at least now I don't have to hurry and buy a new vehicle in the next week or two.

I'll also adjust my take slightly on Amica. It seems that their standard response when you file a claim is that you'll be contacted by the assigned claims manager by noon the next business day. That just doesn't happen. As soon as the adjuster completed his evaluation of the truck, I got an email from Amica stating that I would be getting a check for the determined cost of repairs and I then immediately got a phone call from the claims manager to go over everything. I don't have any issue with this being the process, but don't tell me that I'll get a call by noon the next business day when the procedure appears to not make a call until the adjuster has completed their evaluation. If I had been told that from the start, I wouldn't have had any issue with it taking 2-3 days longer. But don't tell me I'll get a call when I won't. This was the same experience I had a month or two ago when someone tried to steal the truck.
The Wonderer
AG
YellAg2004 said:

Regarding the personal info, I received the paper with all her info. I'm assuming she didn't get the same piece of paper because she was transported via ambulance. We never responded to her text request and there hasn't been any subsequent request made for the info, so I'm assuming all who needed the info have gotten it one way or another.

I did get some good news yesterday that the adjuster didn't total the truck, so it is in the process of getting to the body shop to get fixed. I'm not planning on holding on to it much longer, but at least now I don't have to hurry and buy a new vehicle in the next week or two.

I'll also adjust my take slightly on Amica. It seems that their standard response when you file a claim is that you'll be contacted by the assigned claims manager by noon the next business day. That just doesn't happen. As soon as the adjuster completed his evaluation of the truck, I got an email from Amica stating that I would be getting a check for the determined cost of repairs and I then immediately got a phone call from the claims manager to go over everything. I don't have any issue with this being the process, but don't tell me that I'll get a call by noon the next business day when the procedure appears to not make a call until the adjuster has completed their evaluation. If I had been told that from the start, I wouldn't have had any issue with it taking 2-3 days longer. But don't tell me I'll get a call when I won't. This was the same experience I had a month or two ago when someone tried to steal the truck.
Be careful with this. Do not sign or cash anything until the truck is completely repaired in case more damage is found after tearing it apart. My truck was initially thought to be $8700 in damage and turned about to be $9900 after they started the repairs.
YellAg2004
AG
Thanks for the heads up. I asked the claims guy what would happen if more damage was found once the work was started. He stated that additional checks would be cut for any additional required repairs. I'll probably still hold the check until things are finished, just to be sure. I'm having it fixed at one of their "preferred" shops, so any additional things they find will get sent directly to Amica (vs. to me and I have to send to Amica).
62strat
AG
YellAg2004 said:

Thanks for the heads up. I asked the claims guy what would happen if more damage was found once the work was started. He stated that additional checks would be cut for any additional required repairs. I'll probably still hold the check until things are finished, just to be sure. I'm having it fixed at one of their "preferred" shops, so any additional things they find will get sent directly to Amica (vs. to me and I have to send to Amica).
Can they not pay the shop directly? That would make me nervous.
YellAg2004
AG
What websites did you use to find comp vehicles? I'm afraid due to the age of my truck, finding comps is going to be challenging.
aTm2004
AG
Mine was an '07, and I found a ton.

I used autotrader.com, cars.com, Texas direct auto, etc. Anything that had cars for sale, I used.
YellAg2004
AG
Update: My truck was transferred to the repair shop who did their own repair estimate. They came back just over $4k, which totaled it. They're currently only offering me $2,600 ($3k less $400 in condition deductions) pending me sending them receipts of the new tires and all the recent repairs I've had done.

I was hoping for a little more, but I'm not having much luck finding anything that's not over 1,000 miles away and even then, the numbers aren't significantly better.

One question I do have - in the comps that Amica pulled, they show what the vehicle was listed at (i.e. $4k), but then say that the "adjusted comparable value" is only $2,500. This comp is appears to be very similar to my truck, but with 12k more miles. What is the basis to reduce the value by almost half of the price?

Finally, the tail end of the frame rails are damaged where the receiver hitch bolts to the frame. This pushed the frame up right there and bent the bottom of the bed a bit. Other than that and a bent exhaust, the truck appears to be in good mechanical shape, the tailgate even opens (it doesn't have any damage other than some scrapes). Amica is saying that the salvage value is only $840. I can't imagine that it couldn't sell for more than that as a farm or deer lease vehicle or as some kid's first vehicle back in my home town. Am I crazy for considering keeping it to just sell on my own? Or is that not worth the hassle and I should just move on down the road?
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

Update: My truck was transferred to the repair shop who did their own repair estimate. They came back just over $4k, which totaled it. They're currently only offering me $2,600 ($3k less $400 in condition deductions) pending me sending them receipts of the new tires and all the recent repairs I've had done.

I was hoping for a little more, but I'm not having much luck finding anything that's not over 1,000 miles away and even then, the numbers aren't significantly better.
It's no surprise that they low balled you on the offer. They may be fighting for you to make things right, but they're still a business who isn't going to open their wallet and say "take what you feel is fair." You'll have to negotiate with them. Like I mentioned in a post above, I was able to get almost $5k more for mine than the initial offer. Who cares if you find trucks over 1k miles away...use it. I used 4x4 models, year older, year newer, etc from wherever I could find them in my negotiations. I found as many as I could in TX/AR/LA/OK and then expanded from there. Don't be afraid to expand the search a bit. You don't have to find the exact vehicle.

Quote:

One question I do have - in the comps that Amica pulled, they show what the vehicle was listed at (i.e. $4k), but then say that the "adjusted comparable value" is only $2,500. This comp is appears to be very similar to my truck, but with 12k more miles. What is the basis to reduce the value by almost half of the price?
I'd ask them to justify the $1500 reduction. Put that back on them and ask for them to detail as much as they can on what they are reducing the price for. You can argue that there's no way a dealer would take ~40% less than asking price on a vehicle.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
So here's a story that may help you:

A few years back, my cousins husband was at a red light in a F150 Supercab, got rear ended by an illegal alien woman driving a Oldsmobile Bravada. the hitch took the brunt, but the back of the cab took a hit from the bed so he knew the frame was tweaked. She had no insurance and no license. Cops cited her, took a report, and he filed a claim on uninusured/underinsured, and they totaled based on the frame damage. The truck drove fine, so he negotiated with them and bought it back for salvage value, and a non branded title.

He kept it around for home depot runs and any neighbor that needed it. Eventually the AC broke, and he didn't want to mess with it, so I bought it from him for $500 bucks. I took it to my body shop guy, and he put it on his frame machine and pulled the frame for me for $300 bucks back to factory specs. I fixed the AC, put some new tires on it cleaned the truck up and drove it for a few months and sold it to my lawn guy for $3500 bucks before I bought Catag's old F250.

So moral of the story, if you really like the truck or want to keep rolling it for a few months/a year so you can figure out what to do, buy it back contingent on a clean title, pull frame, install new hitch and keep rolling, sell as farm truck/kids first truck.
YellAg2004
AG
Thanks aTm2004 & 1ags.

I sent my response back to the claims rep with all my receipts for maintenance/repairs. I also sent her some links to additional comps. I'm trying to make the case that while my truck had some scratches and dings consistent with an 18-year-old truck, that it was kept in excellent mechanical condition, and as such, should be valued higher. We'll see how it goes.
YellAg2004
AG
Would your body shop guy be interested in doing the same for me? Or was that a friendly deal?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
YellAg2004 said:

Would your body shop guy be interested in doing the same for me? Or was that a friendly deal?
Call him and see 832-8seven6-nine-five99 His name is Willie, tell him the Chino sent you.

Hes now in MoCity, I think he still has a frame machine. He's a cool dude.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.