Did someone say LS swap?

6,998 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Complaint Investigator
1agswitchin4lanes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CATAGBQ04
AG
SHE'S HAVING A MEAT UP...TIRES...I MEAN MEATY TIRES
Corps_Ag12
AG
Wait, you're a girl and have all those cars?? Girls who like cars exist???
Complaint Investigator
AG
CATAGBQ04 said:

SHE'S HAVING A MEAT UP...TIRES...I MEAN MEATY TIRES
The meat up just left to go home since we both gotta work tomorrow :-/

Got sick of dealing with all the grime on the frame. for $400, a company will come and dustless blast it in less than 2 hours. I paid for 2 hours, and anything I can put in front of them they will blast after they get done with the frame.

Issue - need the chassis to roll out on to the driveway. 15" wheels won't clear the C6 brakes. My plan had been to start the brake conversion as soon as I got the fuel cell sorted out. The Budnik's won't be in before then, so I have to roll the chassis out on the stock wheels. Oh well - guess I'll tackle the floor pans while I wait.

Transmission should be shipping next week or the week after and weld in motor mounts are on their way in along with the C6 calipers, the rotors, and caliper brackets.
The Fife
How do you plan on painting the frame?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Complaint Investigator said:

Got sick of dealing with all the grime on the frame. for $400, a company will come and dustless blast it in less than 2 hours. I paid for 2 hours, and anything I can put in front of them they will blast after they get done with the frame.

Will this stuff remove bedliner sprayed on bumpers?
Complaint Investigator
AG
The Fife said:

How do you plan on painting the frame?

Painting on gloss black chassis saver. It can be sprayed on, but I don't have a way to spray it without getting dust and crap in it (would have to be outside my garage so I'll paint it on with a respirator in my garage to minimize any wind blowing dust everywhere.
Complaint Investigator
AG
Quote:

Will this stuff remove bedliner sprayed on bumpers?

LMAO
Complaint Investigator
AG
Transmission shipped today. Will be here Monday, which means it's going to my buddy's house until I get back from Colorado. Pictures upon removal from crate.
Complaint Investigator
AG
Pictures. FedEx delivered the transmission, but not the clutch, bellhousing etc. It was on the same damn truck. Guess I'm waiting until tomorrow to snag that (jerks.) Work on the truck has been slow. Kid, new role at work, 1ags Xmas party etc. all take up enormous amounts of time. Something is going to happen this week/weekend, because it needs to roll our of my garage by Monday at 1030.

Without further ado:

Tremec TKO600

And then this box came in:

Apparently I'm the only idiot keeping a spreadsheet of cost here, so I'll switch gears and throw out things to do now that I have a ton of parts waiting to go on there.

But first, F ball joints on s-10's. F them right in the A.

Torch - no. Beating the S out of them - no. Ball joint fork and man hammer (mammer) - no. Time to go rent the press from the auto parts store and hope that the press plus a cheater bar and some willpower gets them out.

Here is the running list of what needs done so I can cry myself to sleep knowing how much I have left to do. I'm putting a white board up in the garage this weekend, because I'm bound to forget something.

• lower ball joints on either side
  • inner tie rods
  • front and rear shocks
  • have frame blasted (18th)
  • finish fuel cell and weld in patches on last x-member due to fuel cell mounting
  • paint frame
  • run fuel lines
  • cut and weld in floor pans
  • cut and weld in steps and risers
  • set cab on frame - move body mounts as necessary
  • weld in motor mounts once cab set and motor placement determined
  • weld in transmission x-member
  • remove cab
  • axle swap on rear
  • c-notch install
  • once wheels are in - brake swap on front
  • run brake lines
  • run partial wiring
  • install new body mounts and set cab
  • run balance of wiring, ignition setup
  • finish fuel and brake lines
  • throttle linkage etc.
  • driveshaft
  • figure out steering* (this step will occur at some point after the cab is on and motor are in. Just not sure where)
  • Install cam and heads - this is a maybe. I'm kicking out of the country for a year next year sometime, and if I'm close enough to it being drive-able before I leave, this step will wait.
  • New glass all the way around

I'm probably missing things, but I'll add them as I realize it.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Just add them on here, we're not going anywhere
Complaint Investigator
AG
I shall.

Finished up cutting notches in x-member for fuel cell and got it fitted in between the frame rails. For those wondering, the Kobalt cordless impact is money. Lowe's had a sale, and with my military discount on top of it - I decided to try it out. Removed rear bumper brackets that had loctite on them with ease. I have a Kobalt corded version, it's just really bulky. This one is still heavy, but smaller.

Got the bottom ball joint out. Saw that some other bushings are worn, requiring me to replace them as well (laugh/cry.) After thinking about it, I'm not going to install ball joints until after frame is cleaned up. No sense in putting them on there just to end up with a torn boot after it gets hit with high pressure whatever.

agwrangler2001
AG

Apparently I'm the only idiot keeping a spreadsheet of cost here,
No. Sadly, no you are not.

That aside, looking good!
CATAGBQ04
AG
Spreadsheet of cost?

Silvy
AG
agwrangler2001 said:

Apparently I'm the only idiot keeping a spreadsheet of cost here,
No. Sadly, no you are not.

Like this if you cry evrytime.
Complaint Investigator
AG
First, lengthening the frame was for naught when I decided on those 325's. There's just no way to make them and the 18x12's tuck without narrowing the rear.

So tomorrow we are cutting off the rear frame section just in front of the leaf spring hangers, and when I'm back from my vacation will be welding up a rear section to go on there with a four link and coil overs. This also alleviates the issue I was going to face with the frame kicking up in the back into the bed space. The fuel cell is 24" so I've decided on a 26" wide rear section. Yes, I can buy one but 1.) there's only so much customization you can do on jig welded rear sections 2.) they are pretty expensive. It still may be an option, I'm waiting on a phone call back from a shop to hear their thoughts on pros and cons of each way.

Narrowed rear axle is going in at some point after that. I need to get wheels in before I mock up anything and prior to welding. I'm still way (way) under the cost for a full frame by a chassis shop, so this is a lot of fun and a lot of learning (and a lot of measurements, lots of phone calls and a ton of YouTube videos)

Before (yes, on three wheels after I decided not to install new ball joints prior to blasting)

After

Oh, and look as these sexy ass rotors that showed up today

agwrangler2001
AG

Complaint Investigator
AG
Blue star for you, sir (just assumed your gender)

Second - these calipers are massive

Complaint Investigator
AG
Nothing much to report. Holidays and cold have stalled out some. I don't have a fancy kerosene heater for my garage like Centerpole But my radiator is here along with my Hawk brake pads. And I'm cutting the back end of the frame off today and going to get steel at some point. Getting steel may not happen until next week, but whatever. Garage is freeeeezing.

Heading to Nashville withe the trailer this weekend to pick up the '75. Anyone up for a road trip? I also forgot I have the PMP exam next Friday. I haven't studied, and I'm flying all day on Thursday. I have to get up to Nashville, sleep for a few hours, turn around and come back so I can study most of Sunday afternoon/evening.

This week is going to SUCK.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.