Welder(s)

4,205 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MouthBQ98
ShaggyAggie01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to purchase a welder or welders in the near future, and want to know the auto board's opinion.
I have stick welded in the past, but I want to learn auto body work, so I want a mig machine, and would eventually like to do TIG, though I understand the learning curve may be steep.

Brands I am looking at right now are Lincoln and Everlast, but I am open to suggestions. Miller seems to be significantly more expensive, so I have more or less ruled them out.

Does anyone have personal experience with any of the multiprocess machines? Or should I buy one machine to do a certain job?

I will be doing auto body, possibly frame work in the future, and I have a trailer smoker that needs some attention (heavy, so a stick welder will be the likely best tool for that job)

Curious how useful the 110 migs are for body, in my experience 220 was absolutely needed to do anything significant with a stick.
Silvy
AG
Auto body is light metal, a 115v would be plenty. For a MIG, I have a Hobart Handler 140 and it's great for most projects I ever work on. For stick welding, I use a Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC machine.
AG
Ive got an everlast plasma i really like, but I wouldnt stray from a big name welder.

I went with Lincoln. They sell lincoln parts at home depot and since I only use the welder a couple times a year usually on a weekend it works out for me. Real welding supply shops have inconvenient locations and hours for hobbyists.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
would these be powerful enough (with multipass) to weld heavy steel?
Hobart 190 $650

vs

lincoln 180 $670

I just realized that the multi-process Lincoln (210MP) at $1200 will also require a $650 TIG accessory kit, so that pretty much puts that one out of my desired price point.

Silvy
AG
That depends if you consider 5/16" heavy steel or not.
ghollow
AG
I own a Miller arc welder and a Lincoln 110v mig. I have also used a Hobart 140 quite a bit. I prefer the Hobart to my Lincoln.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
silverado_lover said:

That depends if you consider 5/16" heavy steel or not.
I guess I will need the Hobart 210MVP or bigger if I want a MIG to do everything I want to do.
which kind of justifies the Lincoln 210MP, since it does stick, and can be upgraded to TIG down the road.
moore42
AG
I read extremely positive reviews on the Klutch multi-process machine on some welding forum. Saying how great it was at a fraction of the price of a Lincoln/Miller. That was going to be the unit I bought when I scrounged up $800.

I now got the latest Harbor Freight catalog laying in front of me. They compare the Vulcan OmniPro 220 to the Lincoln Power Mig 210 MP. I will start paying attention to reviews of the Vulcan.

I think for a part time user like myself or you, the off-brand MP machines are probably the way to go.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
So, just spoke to my father (c/o '75), and he is going to give me his 220V stick welder since he recently purchased a Hobart generator welder.
That makes the heavy steel requurement.
Thinking I'll go with the Hobart 140 or something comparable for dedicated body work.
I'll probably get a dedicated TIG machine one of these days when I decide to learn that craft.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
MouthBQ98
AG
https://smile.amazon.com/PrimeWeld-Ct520d-Plasma-Cutter-Welder/dp/B014ECTCB2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505189159&sr=8-3&keywords=ct520d

I have this thing. I've built some big stuff with it so far, and it has a plasma cutter and Tig.
Gigemags05
AG
Mouth, how's the plasma on that thing? That's an interesting machine.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

https://smile.amazon.com/PrimeWeld-Ct520d-Plasma-Cutter-Welder/dp/B014ECTCB2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1505189159&sr=8-3&keywords=ct520d

I have this thing. I've built some big stuff with it so far, and it has a plasma cutter and Tig.

Which functions have you put to the test?
MouthBQ98
AG
I have not used the Tig yet, but the stick is very easy to use since it is a digital inverter powered unit, and the plasma is pretty easy too. Just hook up a decent 8-12 or more gallon unit that can put out a decent amount of air to the regulator at about 65-70 psi and pull the trigger while striking a starter arc and you get a nice little cutting jet. I've cut quite a bit of 1/4 inch steel with it including some plunge cuts.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
How is it holding up? Get a chance to try tig yet?
VitruvianAg
AG
My opinion, get a cheap one you can learn sheet metal work on, once you learn, spend the money on a better one.
tony
AG
https://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200680685_200680685?adv=false

I have this one. Really like it. It does mig and stick really well. The rig is a little rudimentary but doable.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
Purchased a Hobart handler 140 yesterday. Just need to hook up the gas lines and drop a dedicated outlet for it, and I'll be in business.

One of these days I may decide to learn tig, which is why I'm interested in thw plasma/tig combo above.

Thanks for suggestions.
MouthBQ98
AG
Still works fine. I've used it on a couple of smaller projects since. No problems with it at all. I like the digital dial to fine tune the amperage for when I am switching rod types and diameters and metal thicknesses.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.