Explorer and expedition

2,140 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by robertcope
AgPT06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Needing a 3rd row. Wife wants explorer but trying to convince to go for expedition. Looking at used under 75k miles, under $25k so 2010 to 2014 range pops up on searches. Anything to look put for in these years? (I had the old F150 spark plug issue and don't want something like that again of can avoid).
Corps_Ag12
AG
I believe they solved the issues in 2009 with a revised design of the 5.4.

That being said, if you're looking at the expedition I'd try & find a deal on a 2015 since it'll have the 3.5 Ecoboost unless you want all the bells & whistles.

Like this one: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/710746616/overview/

If you live in Houston, 1ags is the king of turning a base model into the top model. He will probably be along shortly.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Aggieman06 said:

Needing a 3rd row. Wife wants explorer but trying to convince to go for expedition. Looking at used under 75k miles, under $25k so 2010 to 2014 range pops up on searches. Anything to look put for in these years? (I had the old F150 spark plug issue and don't want something like that again of can avoid).

The 2008 Job #2 5.4L 3 valve trucks solved the plug issue.

As CA above stated, 2015+ got the 3.5L Boost and refreshed dash/infotainment.

Any reason for an Expy over an explorer?
The Wonderer
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Aggieman06 said:

The 2008 Job #2 5.4L 3 valve trucks solved the plug issue.

As CA above stated, 2015+ got the 3.5L Boost and refreshed dash/infotainment.

Any reason for an Expy over an explorer?
RWD vs FWD is my reasoning.
BigPuma
AG
hurricanejake02
AG
If you need a third row, question how much room you need in the second.

Third row in an Explorer comes at the expense of room in the second row. Third row in the Expedition comes at the expense of cargo room.

We looked at used Explorers for my wife (twins due any day now), but neither of us could comfortably drive with a rear facing car seat behind the driver. Ended up with an '11 Navigator instead. She can drive with both car seats in the back, and it's wide enough to put the seats in the middle and passenger side for me to drive.
AgEng06
AG
AWD Explorer Sport
Javelina
AG
Expedition with the HD towing package can pull 9200 lbs.

Don't know if that's important to you, but it was to me. The self leveling rear end is damn nice to have too.
Javelina
AG
Same thing I told Wonderer, the 5.4 is a dog down low. I've read that a cam phaser lockout and a tune wakes it up.

If I had the budget I'd really try for a 3.5 equipped model.
AgPT06
AG
Thanks for all the info. This is a kid hauler, but we occasionally pull trailers so the bigger engine would be nice. Cargo is only a need for trips. I just want the bigger vehicle since I had to sell my truck for a gas saver car last year.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
Aggieman06 said:

Thanks for all the info. This is a kid hauler, but we occasionally pull trailers so the bigger engine would be nice. Cargo is only a need for trips. I just want the bigger vehicle since I had to sell my truck for a gas saver car last year.

3.5 >>>> 5.4 for towing, fyi
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Javelina said:

Same thing I told Wonderer, the 5.4 is a dog down low. I've read that a cam phaser lockout and a tune wakes it up.

If I had the budget I'd really try for a 3.5 equipped model.
Edelbrock and Whipple have solutions to fix the low end torque issue as well.

Javelina
AG
Yeah buddy, but my old motor wouldn't be able to take the strain. Maybe when I blow this one and do the rebuild; it's only a matter of time.
Bryan98
AG
I'm also looking for a new ride post-Harvey, and just drove the 2017 Explorer. One of my only knocks on it was 2nd row legroom. Anyone know if the optional bucket seats improve that?

I don't care about the 3rd row at all, and in fact I've been looking at some SUVs with two rows, like the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
hurricanejake02
AG
Bryan98 said:

I'm also looking for a new ride post-Harvey, and just drove the 2017 Explorer. One of my only knocks on it was 2nd row legroom. Anyone know if the optional bucket seats improve that?

I don't care about the 3rd row at all, and in fact I've been looking at some SUVs with two rows, like the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
The limited second row leg room is due to the location of the third row - bucket vs. bench won't make any significant difference.
Bryan98
AG
What's crazy is that there is a ton of space behind the third row. They could have allocated some of that to the seats, and you'd still have tons of space when only using two rows.
hurricanejake02
AG
I think you'd then get into "3rd row footwell/storage" vs. "where do I put the axle?"
robertcope
Javelina said:

Expedition with the HD towing package can pull 9200 lbs.

Don't know if that's important to you, but it was to me. The self leveling rear end is damn nice to have too.
Yes! I bought my 2012 Expedition to tow my race car and haul my family. It's very good at both. It has been reliable and is decently comfortable, though obviously not a luxury vehicle. I like that any town in the USA will have someone that can fix it. It gets awful gas mileage. I got a tune for it that really made it shift better and make a bit more power.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
If you need cargo room AND people hauling, why not a quigley?

OnlyForNow
AG
My wife just sold her 2013 expo to Tommie Vaughn...

They might still have it. It has 54k miles 3 rows of seats is an xlt but equipped nicely.
WildcatAg
AG
Javelina said:

The self leveling rear end is damn nice to have too.
I have been happy with our 2005 Expedition but I will never own another vehicle with self leveling suspension. The thing causes more trouble than it is worth.
hurricanejake02
AG
WildcatAg said:

Javelina said:

The self leveling rear end is damn nice to have too.
I have been happy with our 2005 Expedition but I will never own another vehicle with self leveling suspension. The thing causes more trouble than it is worth.

We had to pull ours out and replace it with a coilover kit. Luckily, my truck is the tow rig, not her Navigator.
AgPT06
AG
Expedition is winner I believe. She didnt like the decreased visibility from explorer. Although bigger, she felt more comfortable in the Expy. So the search has begun. Thanks for all the input.
robertcope
Aggieman06 said:

Expedition is winner I believe. She didnt like the decreased visibility from explorer. Although bigger, she felt more comfortable in the Expy. So the search has begun. Thanks for all the input.
Oh yeah. One thing I like about our Expy is the visibility. It's fantastic. Good luck with the search!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.