Contemplating new tires...

2,535 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MouthBQ98
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was looking over the worn down tread on the old BFG AT/KO tires I have on my Nissan, and noticed more cracking in the rubber and wear on the tread than I am happy with. The 4 newer ones are in decent shape, about 4 years old. The other two..ugh. Never paid attention to it when I bought them used for spares, but they are OLD, like 06 and 04 old. Threats to blow out old. Pieces of tread cracking off old.

I figure I want to take a look at putting new wheels on it and saving the 2 best for spares. Problem is the size. I can't quite fit 33 inchers without some serious rubbing on the wheel well in turns when there's upward travel, and I'm not quite ready to take a hammer and cutoff wheel to that part of the body, so I'm stuck trying to hunt down the elusive 32x11.5x15 tire set in the area of Austin. I'm in a bit of a hurry as I am 4 days from heading to Durango Colorado for a week, and would love to have new tires on it for that trip.

I found plenty of places that can order different tires, and I can go get BFG AT/KO2's in that size at a few places, and I know that is supposed to be a good tire, but is a bit over $200 per tire more or less. I am kinda wanting to try out a full blown mud tire too, now that its not a daily driver any longer.

I found a place that can order me Maxxis Buckshot II's in that size overnight, and they look pretty good. I'm alson considering BFG KM2, and Firestone has an MT tire that looks pretty nice. I also like the Hankook MT's which are supposed to have good life and road manners for an MT, but they are pretty hard to find without ordering and waiting, so far at least.

Opinions? Thanks!
TxAg20
AG
If you don't need a mud tire, I think you'll regret your decision to buy them around hour 6 on your drive to Durango. And that's if they're balanced well.

I've never heard anyone complain about the BFG AT except me, and all my problems with them occurred on heavier vehicles.
BigPuma
AG
Toyo Open Country A/T or M/T although the R/T might be a good application for you as well.
-had them on my last truck and current truck. My neighbor has 37"s on his 2500 w/ no problems.

Nitto makes a pretty good tire that balances well.

Firestone Destination A/T - i wore the piss out of a set

BFG KM2 - my bil has them on his cherokee and loves them. He also swears by Toyos too and has the A/T on his daily.

But **** man 04/06 old is old as piss and dry rot is real down in TX, especially while living in Houston like you did.
MouthBQ98
AG
FWIW, this vehicle is my off-road ride. It's a lifted 4x4 model, armored up for crawling and trail driving. Yeah, it still mostly does highway miles to get places, but sometimes I do take it to off road parks or out in the back country.
MouthBQ98
AG
going on this thing:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GLzsDe][/url]
Silvy
AG
Groundhawgs or GTFO
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
silverado_lover said:

Groundhawgs or GTFO
Anyone remember the Discount Tire Roadeo tires?
Prune Tracy
1agswitchin4lanes said:

silverado_lover said:

Groundhawgs or GTFO
Anyone remember the Discount Tire Roadeo tires?

Innovators of the "sidewall boot tread" pattern!
permabull
AG
MouthBQ98
AG
I like the KM2 but they are very difficult to find in 32 inches
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I like the KM2 but they are very difficult to find in 32 inches
Then just go 37"
p_bubel
I went from the BFG Mud Terrains down to the All Terrains due to noise. But that was when the tires got to be less than half their original tread. Probably close to a third.

At the rate you'll be adding miles to the Xterra now that it's not a daily driver that could be quite a long time.

I did take the MTs up to Colorado, Montana and Arizona and back when they were newer and I don't recall having any complaints about them at all. The difference off the pavement is significant enough to have me consider them again.
MouthBQ98
AG
Yeah, it went from 25,000 miles a year to maybe now 2500 a year.
MouthBQ98
AG
I wouldn't even be able to turn.
BigPuma
AG
what i suggested did not change based on your criteria
MouthBQ98
AG
Thx. I have a look around and tread some reviews. Then I found the Maxxis Buckshot 764's for $157 a tire here in Austin. Being a cheapskate, I liked that price.
permabull
AG
MouthBQ98
AG
Where at?
permabull
AG
MouthBQ98
AG
Went with the Maxxis Buckshot 2's, at $157/ tire. They are an affordable middle of the pack mud tire with a modern tread pattern. Will add a pic at some point.

MouthBQ98
AG
I'm learning one thing already: mud tires vibrate quite a bit more than AT tires at highway speeds. If I'd have known that it was that noticeable I might have opted to stick with an aggressive AT tires, which are not as good off road but still get the job done.
Silvy
AG
You ain't even got Boggers bruh
hatchback
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I'm learning one thing already: mud tires vibrate quite a bit more than AT tires at highway speeds. If I'd have known that it was that noticeable I might have opted to stick with an aggressive AT tires, which are not as good off road but still get the job done.

I believe that TxAg20 mentioned this a few posts above:

Quote:

If you don't need a mud tire, I think you'll regret your decision to buy them around hour 6 on your drive to Durango. And that's if they're balanced well.
MouthBQ98
AG
Yep. I thought it over and decided I don't drive be this thing that much so why not? Some things you don't understand until you experience yourself. It's not enough to bother me, but my wife on the other hand....
BigPuma
AG
well and typically you get what you pay for in tires. A better balanced (straight from manufacturer) generally performs better.

Essentially cheap M/Ts are gonna be cheap M/Ts
garyt73
AG
Stay off of snow pack or ice with those tires, My experience with mud tread was almost disastrous, and i have been driving on snowpack for many years.
MouthBQ98
AG
Found a solution: I broke out my old 15x7 aluminum rims and went to Walmart and got a set of $75 Dextero DHT2 tires put on, in cheap generic 235/75-15 size, and loaded my MUd tires and rims into my little tiny box trailer, and went that way. I'll swap when a reach my destination. They ride great and I'm getting 3mpg better mileage, even loaded down and towing a light trailer. And it will extend the life of both sets of tires for a long time.
WildcatAg
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

How are you just now learning this? You have lived in Texas all your life and are class of 98. Have you never ridden in a truck with mud tires?
BigPuma
AG
garyt73 said:

Stay off of snow pack or ice with those tires, My experience with mud tread was almost disastrous, and i have been driving on snowpack for many years.
when I had my Cj-8 I used to post on that forum. Guys from around the country would always ***** about M/Ts in the Michigan snow etc. Several of them got winter specific sets for that reason.
MouthBQ98
AG
Never. Always highway or AT. Family and friend were pragmatic tire buyers I guess.
MouthBQ98
AG
Funny that you say this, I was turning on a switchback coming down from California pass up in the San juans and cut through a big snow patch and scared my wife half to death when we slid sideways about 5 feet down the trail till we hit rock. I managed to slowly turn us bit by bit headed downhill, but stalled the truck dropping the clutch with the brakes still engaged a couple of times in the process and she was freaking out.

Yeah, you have to be careful on ice, but they did awesome on dirt, gravel, and rock.

I also just about scared her to death when I was in a steep climb and another driver that had just turned around at the top of the past waved at me. It looked like he was waving me off so I stopped, but it was too steep to stsrt climbing again right there without burning up t he clutch so I judt rolled backwards a little to where it was less steep. I didnt warn the wife and she just aboit jumped out the door.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.