Tundra 5.7 transmission failure

9,094 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FC12
FC12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coming to you guys for advice and hoping you can lead me to the right path. On my 2007 Tundra 5.7, I have gotten the codes P2714 (pressure control solenoid D Performance - Shift solenoid valve SLT) and P0751 (shift solenoid A Performance - shift solenoid valve S1)

Currently sitting at 195k miles and with the original trans fluid to my knowledge. I've had what I thought was the torque converter shudder for a few months but it was something I could live with. Now, today, the transmission went into limp mode, not shifting out of 3rd and driving down right terrible. Looking for options.

Would replacing the 2 solenoids be an option along with a new filter and full fluid flush? Probably $500 total? Start with full flush first prior to replacing the solenoids? Would suck to spend that money only to need to replace the transmission. Can't afford a new transmission for this truck so would a used unit be an option? Last resort is to dump the truck I suppose. Looking for your guidance.
Corps_Ag12
AG
No flush

Drain & refill. Replace solenoids, see where you're at then.
coolerguy12
AG
I doubt you have a total transmission failure. I would replace the solenoids and go from there. These trucks go into limp mode to avoid further damage.

Edit: after looking online there is a TSB for that code. Procedure is to check the fluid level. If it's low that's likely your problem. If the fluid isn't the problem the TSB says you need a new transmission.
FC12
I should have drained/refilled the fluid when the shudder started back in June but since the 07's had the torque converter shudder, I assumed it was something I was going to have to live with for the next year or so.

I'll take it to Dan Daniels up here in Plano and see what they think. Hopefully, it's low fluid but there are no leaks...maybe due to pulling a small 5x10 utility trailer the past year about 20% of the time.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
coolerguy12 said:

I doubt you have a total transmission failure. I would replace the solenoids and go from there. These trucks go into limp mode to avoid further damage.

Edit: after looking online there is a TSB for that code. Procedure is to check the fluid level. If it's low that's likely your problem. If the fluid isn't the problem the TSB says you need a new transmission.

I don't know much about Toyota transmissions, but i do work with Allison transmissions for my career, and the basic principals are the same. The solenoid codes are triggered by incorrect fluid level (low AND high are both bad for an auto), and bad wire connections 9 times out of 10. It is fairly rare that the actual solenoids need replacing.
aggieforester05
AG
What does the shudder/feel like? My 2007 5.7L just stated making a faint rattling noise while sitting still, but only while in gear.
FC12
ShaggyAggie01 said:

I don't know much about Toyota transmissions, but i do work with Allison transmissions for my career, and the basic principals are the same. The solenoid codes are triggered by incorrect fluid level (low AND high are both bad for an auto), and bad wire connections 9 times out of 10. It is fairly rare that the actual solenoids need replacing.

Is transmission fluid similar to motor oil in that you can lose fluid from heat/friction? Being no visible leak, is that a general good assumption?

ShaggyAggie01
AG
Yes, it is motor oil in some cases.
FC12
aggieforester05 said:

What does the shudder/feel like? My 2007 5.7L just stated making a faint rattling noise while sitting still, but only while in gear.

It's not something you will feel when sitting still. It feels like a rumble strip where the torque converter either won't let go or won't engage while driving when going through the gears. The TSB stated it was a few different speed ranges but most all have it at pretty much any speed above 30mph.
aggieforester05
AG
Thanks and I don't know too many details, but my truck transmission was replaced at 79K miles under a TSB before I bought it. They said it was shifting weird, but not much else.
FC12
Learned a little more tonight...reset codes. Changed out 5 quarts of fluid. I just drained and dropped the pan. I planned on cleaning the filter screen but did not realize it was housed in a plastic housing....went for a drive and it was smooth as butter. Shifted great, no codes, no hesitation....until the ****** temp got to a certain point and then bam...codes back and did not want to shift out of first until 4K rpm..

BTW, the fluid that came out is dark, dark brown...looks like ****. So I'm thinking yes, the trans is worn but my fluid is a big issue. I'm praying a complete fluid change will get me more time out of this thing.
Dr. Venkman
AG
Try some of this.

Lubegard 60902 Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant, 10 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ZAJRM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_uO.XzbYWXFEPK
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

No flush

People keep saying this but in truth, check with your OEM. Some either don't have a problem with it or recommend it. Also, a flush at a dealership MAY be recommended while one at a quick lube store may not.
FC12
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

No flush

People keep saying this but in truth, check with your OEM. Some either don't have a problem with it or recommend it. Also, a flush at a dealership MAY be recommended while one at a quick lube store may not.
I'm going to take it to Toyota this week. Since the fluid was nasty, the only way to get it all out is to flush it out through the radiator or thermostat hose. While I can do many things on vehicles. this is something I would rather not do.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.