Looking at VW Tiguan (used) for daughter?

1,118 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BigRobSA
Strongwind86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need to replace a vehicle for my college age daughter. She expressed an interest in the VW Tiguan. Looking at used models a few years old.
Iv'e never owned a VW - don't know much about the models/service/etc. Looking at gas engines.

Are there any years to avoid?
Any high dollar service that comes with age/mileage?

(She's also looking at Ford Escapes.....)

Thx SW86
BigRobSA
Strongwind86 said:

Need to replace a vehicle for my college age daughter. She expressed an interest in the VW Tiguan. Looking at used models a few years old.
Iv'e never owned a VW - don't know much about the models/service/etc. Looking at gas engines.

Are there any years to avoid?
Any high dollar service that comes with age/mileage?

(She's also looking at Ford Escapes.....)

Thx SW86
Manual or auto?

TSI engines are solid, but the earlier years had some diverter valve issues, timing chain tensioner issues and carbon buildup. The regular automatics suck, but the DSG are great...just need a 40k service interval.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
Strongwind86
AG
Looking at the auto - not stick. See there is a six speed auto.

You mentioned "earlier models" on the TSI engines - what years would you avoid?

Thx
Flaith
AG
It's basically a tall Golf that they sell an absolute ****-ton of.

As with anything, make sure it is up on maintenance - especially if it has a DSG.
dedzip00
AG
i saw this the other day when I was looking around for a car and saw this

http://www.hertzcarsalesdallas.com/certified/Volkswagen/2016-Volkswagen-Tiguan-Dallas-4786abf50a0e0adf589d058cd9b0df87.htm

seemed decent
drmwvr
AG
My daughter has an '11 we bought her back in '15 through VW as a CPO car. Car has been flawless with the exception of noisy brakes (interment) that no one can seem to resolve fully.
The Wonderer
AG
Did they ever solve oil consumption issues?
ghollow
AG
I have had really bad luck with VW. A lot of little things plus they are expensive to work on. Got rid of my Touareg a couple of years ago and will never own another VW. Not to mention the trouble they got into with our government over the emissions thing. If they are willing to do that, I don't see how anyone can trust them.
IDAGG
AG
The Wonderer said:

Did they ever solve oil consumption issues?
I think that was only for 2010 through 2012 2.0 engines. Bad piston design apparently.
Flaith
AG
ghollow said:

If they are willing to do that, I don't see how anyone can trust them.
lol troll

Better not buy a GM product, Fiat Chrysler, or Mercedes then
TexAg2016
AG
I bought my wife a 2012 CPO 2.0T Auto Tiguan with 18000m on it in May 2016. I've had zero issues with it.
I have a 2012 Golf with a 2.5 that I've had zero issues with. Bought that one new.
Dad has a 2013 2.0T beetle. zero issues.
Mom now has a 2018 2.0T Tiguan, wrecked her 2012 2.5L Passat a few weeks ago. zero issues with both of those. Passat had a few rattles in its later life.
Sister has a 2017 Golf with the 1.8T. She wrecked her 2012 2.5L Jetta the same day as my mom's Passat. The Jetta had issues with the power door locks, but they fixed it under warranty.

Oh we also have a 1967 beetle. Bought that one new too. One engine rebuild and two paint jobs, but no "issues"

Feel free to message me if you have VW questions. Ive worked on nearly all makes and engines VW has to offer.

I'd recommend against College Station VW as well. Their service there is a no-no.
BigRobSA
ghollow said:

I have had really bad luck with VW. A lot of little things plus they are expensive to work on. Got rid of my Touareg a couple of years ago and will never own another VW. Not to mention the trouble they got into with our government over the emissions thing. If they are willing to do that, I don't see how anyone can trust them.

Touaregs are ridiculous to work on, which is why they're expensive to fix.

You had the worst VW not named "Phaeton" to work on.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.