Cotton Pickin' Dadgum Dip Stick!!

1,572 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
Courtesy Flush
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can anybody tell what this is?

If you look closely at the yellow deep inside the hole, that is what remains of the dipstick used to check the engine oil on my F150. I tried pulling it out and it broke off. Anybody have any suggestions as to what to do now? I hate to drill it out because there is no way I could keep from getting small pieces of rubber inside the engine.

I'm just looking for options here. I did really even pull that hard on it!!!

Corps_Ag12
AG
Run a long screw into it & pull it out with pliers
sts7049
AG
i guess you could try that idea. if that didn't work maybe you just have to drop the oil pan and push it out?
MouthBQ98
AG
drill out a small pilot hole for a long narrow drywall screw. Stay shallow so you don't punch through and drop crud into your engine
MouthBQ98
AG
You might add some superglue to the mix, just to be sure.
spieg12
AG
Maybe a very strong magnet? Don't know about all the metal around it though interfering with where you want to place it.

Edit to add: Hopefully the whole thing isn't plastic. If it is then disregard.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Run a long screw into it & pull it out with pliers
Could you spin a corkscrew into it?
TxAg20
AG
I would try an EZ out or square extractor. I'm guessing it's installed by compression, but it may come lose if you can turn it.
Courtesy Flush
AG
If I were successful removing it, will I have to put something in its place before operating the engine or can I keep the hole open? I will need to order a new one and my preference would be to measure the length of the dipstick to ensure that I order the correct one.
AG
Depends on the engine. It needs to be plugged to prevent an air leak through the crankcase breather. If its fuel injected that can be a big problem depending on the year. If it's carbureted then itll just have a slightly higher idle. A silicon ear plug should handle the heat and seal it up

I had that break on an amc v8 and had to drop the pan and hammer it out
sts7049
AG
just order the new one before you try to take this one out
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Can't get there with some needle nose?
Duncan Idaho
MouthBQ98 said:

drill out a small pilot hole for a long narrow drywall screw. Stay shallow so you don't punch through and drop crud into your engine
I had to do this on my dodge. But the plastic was so brittle (18 yes old) that I ended up dropping the pan and pushing it out.

Honestly as easy as it was , I should have just dropped the pan first
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.