Ram 1500 thoughts?

1,853 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AlphaBean
CBarrett12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A new truck is likely in the near future. I've always been a GM guy but a friend recently bought a Ram Laramie that is a sweet ride. They seem to have made huge strides in quality, luxuries, ride, etc. They seemed to have thought of just about everything with the features. The Ram Cargobox intrigues me as well. Please chime in with your thoughts...positive/negative. Thanks in advance!
BeastmodeAg
AG
I still question the longevity of dodge rams, I will always have a GM truck for this reason.

Question is do you plan to keep the dodge for 10+ years?
CBarrett12
AG
Ideally I would like to keep it awhile...this is my concern as well.
carodz
AG
I've had my 2017 Lone Star for over a month now. Absolutely love it--extremely comfortable, plenty of power (love the Hemi), and pretty good gas mileage for a 400hp V8 (just got back from a trip to Dallas averaging 22mpg).
AstroAggie15
AG
2016 lonestar 1500 owner here. 20,000 miles in w/o a hiccup! The new 8 speed ****** is nails and love the uconnect software. The 5.7l has been a joy to haul with

fightingfarmer09
Have a newer Ram for work Lone Star edition. Average 50k+ miles a year. The dial shifter takes some adjusting, and almost ran over my leg with a mishap. Hemi has power and I probably average 17 mph on highway. Great driver, and is comfortable. It's a pain when used as a truck though. It is a few inches higher than competitors, but lacks anything to aid getting in and out of the bed of the pickup.

We are switching the fleet to Fords so I'm looking forward to that. I've driven Ford/Chevy/Dodge now 30k each in the last 3 years and Dodge would be the lowest on my list.
AstroAggie15
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

Have a newer Ram for work Lone Star edition. Average 50k+ miles a year. The dial shifter takes some adjusting, and almost ran over my leg with a mishap. Hemi has power and I probably average 17 mph on highway. Great driver, and is comfortable. It's a pain when used as a truck though. It is a few inches higher than competitors, but lacks anything to aid getting in and out of the bed of the pickup.

We are switching the fleet to Fords so I'm looking forward to that. I've driven Ford/Chevy/Dodge now 30k each in the last 3 years and Dodge would be the lowest on my list.

How are you averaging 17 mph on the hwy? Are you cruising at 85?
fightingfarmer09
77mph cruise control. I'll do a week where I go from Houston to Kansas to Amarillo to Houston in a 5 day span. So I'll run it for 4-5 hour straight through open country.

I reset the trip B each time I go. 17.6 is about average. I've gotten 18+ with a solid tail wind.

I absolutely despise the low fuel warning. One ding with like 35 miles left in the tank. No secondary warnings. Pain when your in West Kansas and gas stations are rare.
CactusThomas
AG
I have a 2010 with about 130k miles. Have no doubts about it lasting over 10 years. The hemis have a solid track record. The displacement on demand - or whatever it's called, works great unlike the gm version which needs to be disabled.

One of the big reasons that this board hates rams so much is that they tend to have annoying interior vibrations - at least in the older ones. Mine does have that going on but it never bothers me.

I like dodge, ford and chevy pretty equally but the reason I buy ram trucks is the hemi. Hp has always been important to me.
will.mcg
AG
I had a 2006 1500 with the hemi. I put 232,000 miles on it before I sent it to Mexico. Was a solid truck till around that mileage when I would get a highway shudder (like the transmission was doing something weird) I didn't want to mess with diagnosing or repairing so I sold it at that point. The only gripe I have for it is the 20" wheels wouldn't stay balanced very long & would get a bad pulsing when hitting the brakes hard on the highway.
87IE
AG
CBarrett12 said:

The Ram Cargobox intrigues me as well.

I looked at the Ram when the cargo box first came out and, for me personally, I didn't like how much bed space you lost. It was like the old stepside beds.

MaroonDontRun
AG
I love my 2013 Ram Limited. Runs like a champ with the Hemi and I get 18-20 with a mix of city and highway driving.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I took these at lunch...

Kenneth_2003
AG
Bought a 2011 1500 Crew Cab Lonestar 4x4 with the Hemi new off the lot in February 2011. Coming out of a 2000 Chevy 2500 I loved it. After a while though I felt the fit and finish just wasn't there. The brake pedal developed a squeak, the door squeeked, and I felt that the sheet metal was a bit thin. I drive extremely conservatively and got 16 or so on the highway. After about 40,000 it seemed to be inching up into the mid 17's on longer trips.

I was considering looking at other trucks. That issue was taken care of when the truck was totaled in February 2014. 53,000 miles mas o menos

I've never regretted the F150 Super Crew LWB V8 I bought. 63,000 miles currently.
big ben
AG
My 2013 lone stars screen died at 38k miles, dodge wanted $3800 to fix, luckily it was totaled a month later, went back to chevy
fido00
AG
Ive got a 2004 Dodge 5.7 with 210K miles on it. The front bearings went out at about 40K miles, then I've had some problems with the EGR valve, and the dash has gone to crap like most of the models of that era. Ive done most of the routine maintenance myself except for new plugs and wires. I still get about 14-15 mpg in the city and about 17-18 on the highway.

cmiller00
AG
Anyone have an ecodiesel? Curious how people like them.
AstroAggie15
AG
Since they're so new I doubt you'll see many complaints yet
fido00
AG
Im very curious about this too. I think a small diesel in a half ton truck could pique my interest.
CactusThomas
AG
cmiller00 said:

They are strictly for putting around town at high mpg. They make about 10 ft/lb more torque than the hemi and about half as much hp. Any slower and it would be dangerous to enter the highway. Seriously, it's unbelievable how unresponsive the gas peddle is.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
CactusThomas said:

cmiller00 said:

They are strictly for putting around town at high mpg. They make about 10 ft/lb more torque than the hemi and about half as much hp. Any slower and it would be dangerous to enter the highway. Seriously, it's unbelievable how unresponsive the gas peddle is.
0 - 60 time of 9.0 seconds and a 16.9 second/81 MPH quarter mile.

Not really a "gas peddle" or even a gas pedal since its diesel....

Also....

Fiat Chrysler recalls 494,000 Ram trucks for fire hazard
CactusThomas
AG
Your link doesn't even mention half ton pickups
AstroAggie15
AG
CactusThomas said:

Your link doesn't even mention half ton pickups

cant wait to hop in my 1500 in 30 minutes and enjoy the smooth dependable ride while
cmiller00
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

CactusThomas said:

cmiller00 said:

0 - 60 time of 9.0 seconds and a 16.9 second/81 MPH quarter mile.

Not really a "gas peddle" or even a gas pedal since its diesel....

Also....

Fiat Chrysler recalls 494,000 Ram trucks for fire hazard
Wow that is slow. Have a hard time getting on the highway--especially when I'm used to my car that's less than half that 0-60.
AlphaBean
AG
Just hit 36k in my 2016 limited 4x4 ecodiesel. Love it, zero complaints. Actually my only complaint is that I would've been happy with the Laramie longhorn but it has longhorns stitched into the leather seemingly everywhere so I had to bump up to the limited because I wasn't going to look at that every day. It's a diesel, yes there's a lag in response when you hit the pedal but the speed limit is 75 here and the on ramp is non-existent and I've had no issues getting up to speed and merging. The diesel works for me because I do 90 miles/day all highway. There's plenty of folks getting horrible mpg in them because they do City driving.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.