Pros cons on Hybrid Malibu and Camry

1,170 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JAW3336
Truman2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Or any other Hybrid cars
aggiepaintrain
AG
The price difference between a similarly equipped 4cyl and a Hybrid model can not be justified with better fuel economy and Hybrids approaching the end of their warranty period have terrible resale value due to the cost and fear of the batteries going out, which they do trust me.
Waltonloads08
AG
A 4 Cyl Camry will basically run forever, less some cheaply replaceable parts.

Hybrid? Good luck when the battery craps out...
sts7049
AG
why not just get a prius?

#wordsneverspokenonthisboard
JAW3336
AG
WaltonLoads08 said:

A 4 Cyl Camry will basically run forever, less some cheaply replaceable parts.

Hybrid? Good luck when the battery craps out...

Can't the battery be replaced?

Also isn't it possible to replace individual cells now instead of the whole pack?
Dill-Ag13
AG
Gas is $2.30/gal. Why are you looking at a hybrid anything.
moore42
AG
sts7049 said:

why not just get a prius?

#wordsneverspokenonthisboard

My in-laws have 222k on their 06. Still on original batteries. Still averages 40+.

They have a new 2017, and still prefer to drive the 06
JAW3336
AG
I just got a heck of good deal on a 2014 Avalon hybrid for a.commuter car. I assume because people are scared of them at higher mileage. It was over 3k cheaper than only other similarly equipped standard Avalon. And it is a CPO.

Wasn't really in the market for a hybrid but is was so much cheaper than a V6 and gets over 10 mpg better. Figured why not.
KY AG
AG
We have a Prius V (wagon). It's a phenomenally good car, and I never have once regretted buying it.

Toyota's hybrids are significantly better than everyone else. If you're going to buy a hybrid, get a Toyota.

The battery issue to me is a non-issue. The battery doesn't fail - cells in the battery fail. And anyone with a multimeter, $40 for the cell, and a willingness to watch a 7 minute YouTube video can easily replace the failed cell(s).

Texker
AG
Bought a '14 Volt for the wife a year ago. Her employer has free plug-ins so they pretty much pay for her commute. Awesome car regardless of the subsidy.
TSW2012
AG
Chevy Volt is the play in the hybrid market. Plug in hybrid and killer deals available. If you need bigger can't beat the 4-cyl Camry for reliability.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Dumb question from an auto-illiterate....can you not drive a hybrid car in the "power" mode if your battery does crap out? You have to have the battery or else the car won't drive?

Almost at 90k miles on my 2012 Prius. Has been a bullet proof car to this point.
Truman2001
AG
Any recs on chevy diesel?
JAW3336
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Dumb question from an auto-illiterate....can you not drive a hybrid car in the "power" mode if your battery does crap out? You have to have the battery or else the car won't drive?

Almost at 90k miles on my 2012 Prius. Has been a bullet proof car to this point.
I wonder the same thing. I do know your power would be way down without the electric motors.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.