Totalled truck?

2,996 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Knucklesammich
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Accident today that I assume will total my truck. Basic model '09 half ton with 150k miles. Other driver at fault. My company is USAA. Other drivers is Statefarm. What do I need to watch out for in the coming days? Will they try to screw me on value? Is value negotiable? Left thumb is swollen, stiff, and hurts pretty bad. Might go have it x-rayed in the morning and I made sure the cop recorded it in the report. Not interested in trying to screw them for neck/back type money but should I try to use the thumb injury as leverage on the vehicle value? Any other advice?
gig em 02
Get a lawyer

You have an injury from a car accident. You don't know how serious it is or the long term consequences of that injury.

The insurance company will have a team of lawyers and adjusters trying to screw you over and walk away paying as little as possible.

Also post pics of the truck and get a lawyer.
CS78
Sounds like I need to plan to go get it checked out for sure. The problem is in the large joint of my thumb and I do see how it could turn in to a long-term issue.

Maybe they wont total my truck. I don't know how much body work runs but its got a lot of issues. Cratered the whole right side from front to back. Headlights, grill, bumper, radiator blew coolant everywhere, truck died as soon as I stopped and wouldn't restart, front right quarter panel, door, extended cab door, cab behind door, bed, and some suspension parts in the front right corner.

Freshman pulled out in front with me running at highway speed. Glancing blow at speed took all my old dirt road driving skills to keep it straight. 2-3 good fish tails followed by jumping 4 curbs and two ditches. Was a wild ride and I remember having the feeling like I was never going to get stopped.

Had he been .25 second earlier I would have T-boned his drivers door at full speed. Would have been really bad.

His truck-

Mine-

03_Aggie
I don't think there is quite the need to jump straight a lawyer. Go get your thumb checked out and see what they say. Give yourself a few days to see if any other types of soreness shows up.

If the truck is totaled the value is most definitely negotiable. You'll have to do some research and see what you can find close to it on the market for a point of comparison.
03_Aggie
And if you're going to try and use your thumb injury as leverage, don't post about the plan on the internet.
The Wonderer
AG
03_Aggie said:

And if you're going to try and use your thumb injury as leverage, don't post about the plan on the internet.
So much this. PI lawyers love pulling social media and internet posts to impeach credibility.

Get your thumb looked at by a doc and keep receipts of everything.

Your truck is most likely totaled. Value is negotiable and based on comps in the general area around which your vehicle is garaged on your insurance policy. Take lots of pictures.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
That left front tire has some crazy inner tire wear.

Are those BFG Long Trail TA Tours?
CS78
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Yes, on my truck. The blue one. But that's the outside of the front right you can see. Don't know what's on the red truck.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
CS78 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Yes, on my truck. The blue one. But that's the outside of the front right you can see. Don't know what's on the red truck.
The red truck has the same tires, I was pointing to the inner tire wear. Maybe defective equipment that contributed to the wreck....

Glad you weren't seriously hurt.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Fellow USAA member...

File your claim with USAA and let them handle everything. You pay them, you're their customer, NOT Statefarms. USAA will in my experience give you a fair assessment on your truck. It'll either be repaired by a shop that meets their standards or they'll give you what they think it's worth. Then they'll get their money back from Statefarm. I've been through this three on different wrecks that were not my fault and the process for me was very painless and smooth.

permabull
AG
The Wonderer
AG
hypeiv said:

Dont tell them if you have health insurance... State farm should pay for the x-rays not your health insurance.
The health ins company will refuse to pay if they learn it's from an MVA in which their insured was not at fault or fault is not yet determined.
MouthBQ98
AG
They should st least cover your deductible.
Towns03
AG
Fords!
Koko Chingo
AG
USAA has always done me right an paying out for a totaled vehicle. Having a kid who totaled 2 cars within 6 weeks, I unfortunately am familiar with USAA's process.
CS78
So got first number back from state farm. I had already released the vehicle to them before I thought of trying to make USAA handle it. Said they are valueing the truck at $11,800. I'd be ecstatic to take that for it. But they're saying $7500 in body damage which puts it below the 80% threshold to total it. They're going to pay the body shop for two hours labor to try to diagnose the engine/ possible suspension issues. Really hoping to get a check out of it.
The Wonderer
AG
They aren't taking it to a preferred shop, are they?
CS78
The Wonderer said:

Well I asked them to take it to Jack Winslow body shop and she said "great they are a preferred shop". But then Jack Winslow responded that they weren't interested in trying to diagnose any mechanical problems and state farm is now asking me what I want to do with it.
ChemEAg08
AG
Not sure about State Farm, but USAA is beast mode every time I've dealt with them... except doing a home mortgage (sloppy service, not ready for closing, etc)...
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
CS78 said:

The Wonderer said:

Well I asked them to take it to Jack Winslow body shop and she said "great they are a preferred shop". But then Jack Winslow responded that they weren't interested in trying to diagnose any mechanical problems and state farm is now asking me what I want to do with it.
Nearest Cadillac Dealer with a body shop.....
Mr. Dubi
CS78 said:

Sounds like I need to plan to go get it checked out for sure. The problem is in the large joint of my thumb and I do see how it could turn in to a long-term issue.

It could be a real big issue. If the Xray shows nothing, get an MRI to rule out any cartilage or tendon damage.
CS78
Mr. Dubi said:

CS78 said:

It could be a real big issue. If the Xray shows nothing, get an MRI to rule out any cartilage or tendon damage.
The doctor I went to does sports injuries. He said if it still hurt by this Wednesday to come back in. It still hurts now but it is getting better but seems pretty slow. If it's still hurting Wednesday, I'll get back with him to see his thoughts.
Kenneth_2003
AG
ChemEAg08 said:

Not sure about State Farm, but USAA is beast mode every time I've dealt with them... except doing a home mortgage (sloppy service, not ready for closing, etc)...
My experience to the letter!
Knucklesammich
USAA has been spot on for us across two totaled vehicles and two fender benders (none our fault) and hail damage to both our cars back in 09.

I'd see a doc that focuses on hand injuries and make sure there is nothing hidden that may pop up as you get older.
Jack Cheese
AG
Knucklesammich said:

I'd see a doc that focuses on hand injuries and make sure there is nothing hidden that may pop up as you get older.

Username checks out
Kenneth_2003
AG
CS78 said:

The Wonderer said:

Tow it over to USAA. Seriously...

Edit... Actually, no. Call USAA and let THEM tell Statefarm that. Gets you out of the loop.
DadAG10
CS78 said:

So got first number back from state farm. Said they are valueing the truck at $11,800. I'd be ecstatic to take that for it.
Inconceivable!

Insurance companies always try to rip you off!
deh40
AG
gig em 02 said:

Get a lawyer

You have an injury from a car accident. You don't know how serious it is or the long term consequences of that injury.

The insurance company will have a team of lawyers and adjusters trying to screw you over and walk away paying as little as possible.

Terrible idea. See how they work with you before running out to hire an attorney and giving away a part of your settlement money. Most adjusters are not out to screw you, unlike advertised in television ads. If you feel they are not being fair with you, you can always hire an attorney at that time.
deh40
AG
CS78 said:

So got first number back from state farm. I had already released the vehicle to them before I thought of trying to make USAA handle it. Said they are valueing the truck at $11,800. I'd be ecstatic to take that for it. But they're saying $7500 in body damage which puts it below the 80% threshold to total it. They're going to pay the body shop for two hours labor to try to diagnose the engine/ possible suspension issues. Really hoping to get a check out of it.
Tell them you plan to make a diminished value claim after the repair is completed. With that and the expense of a rental vehicle while the repairs are being done, it should push them to declare it a total loss if that is your goal.
The Wonderer
AG
deh40 said:

gig em 02 said:

Get a lawyer

Terrible idea. See how they work with you before running out to hire an attorney and giving away a part of your settlement money. Most adjusters are not out to screw you, unlike advertised in television ads. If you feel they are not being fair with you, you can always hire an attorney at that time.
+1

And the moment you get a lawyer, they will prepare for litigation and not trying to pay you.
rodan85
AG
deh40
AG
rodan85 said:

Don't forget you can get 3x medical expenses for pain and suffering.

Not true, there is no fixed number. Pain and suffering is an arbitrary number that is negotiable.
CS78
So it took State Farm 9 days to get everything evaluated. Jack Winslow was able to diagnose the rack and pinion being destroyed as well as U-joint/ driveshaft issues. Thanks to them for looking at it as soon as they got and getting a new estimate cranked out within a few hours. State farm is writing me a check for $12,600. Plenty happy with that for an eight year old, base model truck with 156k miles.

Anybody have a 4 door/ 4WD they want to sell? 1500 or 2500, gas, under $25k?

BigPuma
AG
I mean whats a budget?

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/2886486
Knucklesammich
Jack Cheese said:

Knucklesammich said:

Username checks out
haha I wish, that profession would put me in a much better tax bracket.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.