BMW driver's side door won't lock/unlock

13,664 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TXTransplant
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went out to my car yesterday after parking and locking it, and the driver's side door didn't unlock automatically when I put my hand inside the handle. Pushing the unlock button on the fob wouldn't unlock it either (but it did unlock the other three doors). So, I went in the passenger's side and tried the lock/unlock button in the dash. That didn't work either. Finally had to open the door by pulling the door handle from the inside. I have since discovered that I can lock/unlock the door using the emergency key that is stored inside the key fob.

I was "bumped" in the rear by another car on 45 yesterday, right before the lock started to malfunction. Could that have anything to do with it?

A quick search of then Bimmerfest forums says it could be an actuator problem.

Anyone else have this problem? Is this something that my neighborhood mechanic can fix?
The Wonderer
AG
Mom's 750i has the problem. The Comfort Access ("CA") handle went bad and had to be replaced.

See same issue here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1060733

Edit: Is the driver's side CA handle unlocking the other doors? If so, then, yes, actuator is the likely culprit.
TXTransplant
The Wonderer said:

Mom's 750i has the problem. The Comfort Access ("CA") handle went bad and had to be replaced.

See same issue here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1060733

Edit: Is the driver's side CA handle unlocking the other doors? If so, then, yes, actuator is the likely culprit.

Thanks...did your mom get hers fixed (or get an estimate for the cost of a repair)?

You know, I didn't notice if putting my hand in the handle unlocked the other doors. I think I have my setting such that it only opens the driver's door, though. I'll have to check that.

The driver's door also didn't auto-lock when I got up to speed on the drive home today. But, when I stopped to check the mail, and started up again, it did lock.
The Wonderer
AG
Try unlocking the passenger side with CA to see what it does. Her CA handle went out which in turn popped the fuse for the entire CA system requiring us to use the valet key to manually unlock the driver door.

New handle installed was something like $600 if I recall.
TXTransplant
Just drove to the gym. CA on the passenger side works (except on the driver's side, obviously). But driver's side did not lock this time when I got up to speed.

For $600, I think I'll see how long I can go before using the emergency key starts to get on my nerves. Or maybe I'll leave it unlocked and someone will steal it.

Maybe just the actuator replacement won't be that expensive. I swear, the strangest things break/malfunction on this car.
The Wonderer
AG
TXTransplant said:

Just drove to the gym. CA on the passenger side works (except on the driver's side, obviously). But driver's side did not lock this time when I got up to speed.

For $600, I think I'll see how long I can go before using the emergency key starts to get on my nerves. Or maybe I'll leave it unlocked and someone will steal it.
That was for the CA door handle.

The actuator is like $100-150
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00GT27FG0/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all
TXTransplant
The Wonderer said:

TXTransplant said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00GT27FG0/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Thanks for the help. Do you think this is something my regular mechanic can fix, or am I going to have to go to the dealership? I figure anyone can replace the actuator, but I'm thinking the locks/door alarm may have to be reset with a computer.
The Wonderer
AG
TXTransplant said:

The Wonderer said:

TXTransplant said:

Thanks for the help. Do you think this is something my regular mechanic can fix, or am I going to have to go to the dealership? I figure anyone can replace the actuator, but I'm thinking the locks/door alarm may have to be reset with a computer.
An indy shop can take care of it. The actuator isn't programmed - it receives its signals from the CA brain which sounds like it's fine. Simple mechanical issue.
JSKolache
AG
TXTransplant said:

Maybe just the actuator replacement won't be that expensive. I swear, the strangest things break/malfunction on this car.
You knew it was a BMW, right?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
X3 and X5 door lock actuators are a PITA.

I've done more than I care to admit.
agracer
AG
TXTransplant said:

It's a BMW....
Flaith
AG
replacing actuators and window motors on German cars is almost a regular maintenance item.
TXTransplant
Flaith said:

replacing actuators and window motors on German cars is almost a regular maintenance item.

I've been expecting the driver's side window motor to crap out for at least a year. It sounds asthmatic.

Sadly, I'm used to cars with these types of gremlins. I had two Nissan 240 SXs that were plagued by annoying problems like this. I drove one for years with a piece of black electrical tape over the flashing red airbag warning light that the dealer never could figure out how to fix.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.