'15 F250 Questions/Issues

905 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by D&C 2002
D&C 2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I have a couple of questions about issues that have come up with my truck. I tried a search but didn't come up with any results. However, I'm sure this has been discussed at length and I apologize if this is a repeat of the same topics. I'd appreciate your feedback.
- Sirius sounds like crap. I've found some info just by googling and it sounds like this is a Ford problem. Any solutions available? I thought that maybe I just needed to update my software but the SYNC services website is telling me my software is current (Version 3.7 I believe).

- Audio controls on the steering wheel is wigging out. Both volume buttons act as volume up, sometimes volume up advances the radio station, seek up and down both take it down (sometimes) and sometimes they work as normal.... It's pretty damn irritating. Also, I have to hold down the phone button for like 3 seconds before it disconnects a call. Again, I was hoping for a simple fix with a software update but doesn't look like that's going to do it. The audio control issue just started a few weeks ago. 85,000 miles.

TIA!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
D&C 2002 said:

I have a couple of questions about issues that have come up with my truck. I tried a search but didn't come up with any results. However, I'm sure this has been discussed at length and I apologize if this is a repeat of the same topics. I'd appreciate your feedback.
- Sirius sounds like crap. I've found some info just by googling and it sounds like this is a Ford problem. Any solutions available? I thought that maybe I just needed to update my software but the SYNC services website is telling me my software is current (Version 3.7 I believe).

- Audio controls on the steering wheel is wigging out. Both volume buttons act as volume up, sometimes volume up advances the radio station, seek up and down both take it down (sometimes) and sometimes they work as normal.... It's pretty damn irritating. Also, I have to hold down the phone button for like 3 seconds before it disconnects a call. Again, I was hoping for a simple fix with a software update but doesn't look like that's going to do it. The audio control issue just started a few weeks ago. 85,000 miles.

TIA!
The sound quality isnt just limited to Ford.

My impala has the same 'under water' sound. Aftermarket head unit in my F250 doesnt exhibit this.

The steering wheel could be the controls themselves, or the clock spring.

Both are not a big deal to fix.
D&C 2002
AG
I was concerned about tearing into the steering wheel to get to the control buttons with the airbags and all. Is it pretty easy to get to? How do you go about accessing? These buttons are on the right side of the steering wheel.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
D&C 2002 said:

I was concerned about tearing into the steering wheel to get to the control buttons with the airbags and all. Is it pretty easy to get to? How do you go about accessing? These buttons are on the right side of the steering wheel.
The right side buttons just pop out with a small scerwdriver.

Pull wiring harness, plug into new one.

Two minute job.
mts6175
AG
Mine did this a couple of times. Couldn't even change the radio source from the buttons on the center stack. The first time it was because of the head unit trying to run an update. The second time was on my way to the dealer to trade it in, so not sure if it was trying to update again or not. May want to check and see if the head unit is trying to or needs to be updated.
aad03
AG
You need to replace the clock spring. I had this EXACT same problem with the steering wheel controls on my 2014 F250. Make sure you order the correct part. I order mine from fordparts.com just to make sure it's the right part number. It's an easy job to do yourself. There are a couple things to make sure of:

First disconnect both batteries for 5 or 10 minutes, to make sure the air bag isn't accidentally triggered when you are digging around in the steering wheel. You can turn on your headlights to help drain any residual power that could trip the air bag.

The other thing is to make sure you have all the necessary tools to finish the job, before you take off the steering wheel and can't drive your truck. I had to call for a ride to the auto parts store to get a huge torx bit to get to the clock spring. Can't remember what size, but it's big.

Other than that, it's pretty easy.
Class of '03
D&C 2002
AG
Thanks for the response! Yeah, looks like there might have been an issue with the '14 and '15 clock springs that made them fail prematurely. I'll do some more research but glad to hear I'm not the only one who has had this problem. Do you remember what size torx bit it was?
D&C 2002
AG
Sorry - saw that you don't know what size that bit was. I saw one video where they were using a T50.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
T50. Can verify 2015 uses that.

You may check the warranty, the clockspring may be covered under the restraint system.
D&C 2002
AG
I looked at it for 5 minutes this evening and couldn't easily see how the airbag comes out. No holes to pop the retainer springs like previous gen. Any suggestions?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.