Collector Insurance Sucketh (Mini-Rant)

1,833 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by robertcope
CDUB98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tried to get a quote from four different companies: Hagerty, Grundy, American Collectors, and JC Taylor.

AC and JC wouldn't even quote.

Hagerty was nearly $1200 per year. STUPID REEEEDEECKULUSS
Grundy was $571, which is not enough lower than what I have through Amica to deal with tracking two different companies.

Good grief. The whole point of collector's insurance is that it is supposed to be cheaper than regular. So much for trying to save money.
Duncan Idaho
Damn what are you trying to insure?
CDUB98
AG
2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca

Driven at most 1500 miles per year.
Jrod05
AG
I would assume It's the year. Most collectors cars get technically rated as antiqued. Hagerty will be cheapest with mileage limits. With that year have you tried just insuring as private passenger? Some companies won't touch newer "collector" cars and will rate as private passenger
Gigemags05
AG
Grundy is about half of what Hagerty is for my jeep. Hagerty had mileage limits, grundy doesn't. Also no deductible with grundy. $10,000 of coverage for $150/yr
tony
AG
Hagertys has the single best customer service if anything I've ever been exposed to. They were phenomenal. Good luck getting normal car insurance to fathom the value of a low mileage special edition like that. When you get rear ended by a texting teenager I bet they offer you 2 grand above what a same year gt goes for
JAW3336
AG
Do you have standard coverage with AMICA? If so I would consider switching.
permabull
AG
evan_aggie
AG
Why wouldn't JC Taylor quote?
CDUB98
AG
evan_aggie said:

Why wouldn't JC Taylor quote?

Quote:

Vehicles less than 19 years old are not eligible for our Modified program.
robertcope
I'm running into sort of the opposite problem with my NSX. I do not want collectors insurance because I do daily it when the weather is nice and do not want the rules associated with collector insurance. But I've had trouble getting quotes from a few insurance companies. Either it is too old to insure or they list other '92 Acuras but not the NSX. I kind of get why they wouldn't want to deal with it, I guess.
evan_aggie
AG
robertcope said:

I'm running into sort of the opposite problem with my NSX. I do not want collectors insurance because I do daily it when the weather is nice and do not want the rules associated with collector insurance. But I've had trouble getting quotes from a few insurance companies. Either it is too old to insure or they list other '92 Acuras but not the NSX. I kind of get why they wouldn't want to deal with it, I guess.

I'm don't know that JC and others will ding you for driving when the weather is nice. Do you think they wouldn't cover you if you were to get into a fender bender while cruising?
malenurse
AG
evan_aggie said:

robertcope said:

I'm don't know that JC and others will ding you for driving when the weather is nice. Do you think they wouldn't cover you if you were to get into a fender bender while cruising?
Most collector insurance policies have very stringent mileage limits on the vehicles. My policy with Grundy is cheap but limited to 600 miles annual.

1970 Olds 442 Convertible
robertcope
evan_aggie said:

robertcope said:

I don't know. But they plainly state the car shouldn't be used to run errands, commute to work, etc.[1] Well, that is most of what I use it for. Could I get away with lying about it? I imagine so. But that's not the kind of person that I am.

[1] "Occasional pleasure use does not mean use for daily driving to and from work or school, routine shopping, etc."
Duncan Idaho
When I was shopping policies, one of them (don't remember which) specifically ststed that you were allowed to drive it to work x number of days a month.
AggieChemist
AG
robertcope said:

my NSX.

Pics or GTFO
robertcope
AggieChemist said:

robertcope said:

my NSX.

Pics or GTFO
https://imgur.com/a/nq3DP
https://imgur.com/a/5E4aC
Duncan Idaho
robertcope said:

AggieChemist said:

robertcope said:

my NSX.

Pics or GTFO

Lame spoiler and no NOS stickers.
robertcope
Duncan Idaho said:

robertcope said:

AggieChemist said:

robertcope said:

my NSX.

Pics or GTFO

Lame spoiler and no NOS stickers.
*can't tell if serious*

That's the factory spoiler. It works perfectly well for what they intended it to do, which is to balance front and rear lift at high speed.

Some day I want to get the NSX-R aero package on the car, which would include a change to the spoiler, which I actually think looks worse but (along with other changes) actually provides decent downforce.
AggieChemist
AG
It's beautiful.

I turned 16 in '92, so that and a Testarossa are pretty much IT as far as 16 year old me are concerned!
robertcope
AggieChemist said:

It's beautiful.

I turned 16 in '92, so that and a Testarossa are pretty much IT as far as 16 year old me are concerned!
Thanks. And I agree, if money was no object, a Testarossa would be a strong contender for a "garage mate" for it.

Harry has some great Testarossa videos, where he takes them on epic drives (to the Sahara, France, etc):
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.