Engine degreaser recommendation?

878 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by will.mcg
will.mcg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Please reccommend an engine degreaser. Would muratic acid be a bad idea? Currently I'm using dollar store oven cleaner. It's working ok. The engine is on an engine stand so I can take it outside & hose it down if need be.
will.mcg
AG
Thank you
Agmechanic
AG
Brake clean works well
91AggieLawyer
AG
This guy recommends Super Clean, which you can buy at Walmart. I got a gallon the other day but haven't used it. I think he also recommends (or use to) Meguiars Super Degreaser, but I haven't watched this specific video (one of four). I'm sure he goes into detail about both the process and any products used.

Silvy
AG
I use Purple Power, a stiff bristle dish brush, and rinse with water. Don't let it hang on aluminum too long.
Duncan Idaho
the oven cleaner and muraic acid seem like they would do a number on paints, plastics, rubber and other soft bits normally found on a engine.
will.mcg
AG
Probably so. In this case there is no rubber & definitely no plastic on this engine. I decided against muratic acid because the instructions on the bottle said to clean surface of all grease before application. The oven cleaner works pretty well for me so far. I need to get some good brushes. Ive just been using a plastic paint scraper.
will.mcg
AG
Probably so. In this case there is no rubber & definitely no plastic on this engine. I decided against muratic acid because the instructions on the bottle said to clean surface of all grease before application. The oven cleaner works pretty well for me so far. I need to get some good brushes. Ive just been using a plastic paint scraper.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.