Jeep JK Water Leak?

2,864 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bmeaggie
AgTech88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2014 JK Unlimited Willey's with Hard top which has never been removed. Notice a puddle of water in drivers floor mat anytime there is a decent rain.

With a little experimenting found the water comes from the bottom of the door about 6" from the front edge of door - a little stream of water from bottom of door over the door sill into the floor mat (and under it).

Looks like the water runs down the inside bottom of the weather stripping from somewhere up high, then flows out over the door sill at a path of least resistance. Cant tell where exactly it gets in. There are no obvious gaps or dents in weather stripping and all is adhered/installed tight.

Anyone else have this problem? Any simple fixes?
Lynch
Quote:

Hard top which has never been removed

Here's your problem, it's sad and crying on the inside.
Prune Tracy
It's a Jeep. They leak. My 2012 had a small leak in the freedom top, right above my cup holder. My 2016 has the exact leak you're describing. Every time I drive through the car wash, my leg gets sprayed through the door crack. Same with my son in the back seat. After exposure, I just crack the windows and let it dry.
FIDO*98*
AG
rsmithtesiusa said:

2014 JK Unlimited Willey's with Hard top which has never been removed............Any simple fixes?

A simple fix would be to sell it to someone who understands why you buy a Jeep
CATAGBQ04
AG
Yeah, I resealed mine several times...still leaks there.

I just let it dry, if it really bothers you the dealer sells a reseal kit with all the gaskets you need.
Furlock Bones
AG
Also a lot times it's not a leak perse. When you open the doors the water runs off the rain guards well before the door is fully swung open. End up with a small puddle
aka Sloan Kettering aka Lazlo Hollyfeld
LOYAL AG
AG
Two options

1. Trade it in for an SUV.
2. Remove the top and doors and enjoy it for what it is which is an offcroad vehicle. I love my JKU and my son loves his TJ but they aren't in any way practical and weren't meant to be.
SCHTICK00
AG
I love my jeep for what it is, but it would be absolutely awful to take a trip in or use as a daily driver. The top is usually off, but a little too hot right now so it's back on.
CATAGBQ04
AG
I'm pretty much deaf and I have a lot of mechanical patience

It's the choice road trip vehicle for me.
agdoc2001
AG
1. Remove your freedom top panels and then reinstall

2. Try adjusting the door catch

3. Try greasing your seals

4. If all else fails, google JK Water Leak and Repair Manual
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CATAGBQ04
AG
agdoc2001 said:

1. Remove your freedom top panels and then reinstall

2. Try adjusting the door catch

3. Try greasing your seals

4. If all else fails, google JK Water Leak and Repair Manual
This...every time one of my Freedom tops leaks it's because there's some sort of debris (sand, dust, leaf) in the seal.

Use a wet rag or even better, some Aerospace 303 on a rag and wipe down the seals...fixes that every time
bmeaggie
AG
Just happened see this post while searching for another...

I have a 2017 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock just about 6mo old and was finding the mysterious puddle on my driver's side floor mat too (also wet under the mat)...

A couple weeks ago I started parking the opposite direction in my pull-through circular drive. Previously the front of the vehicle was pointing uphill. Now the front of the vehicle points downhill. I literally made no other adjustment to anything, and I have not been driving the vehicle either. The leak stopped after that change.

Now that's a lazy as hell way to bandaid a problem, but maybe this data point will eventually help me figure out precisely how water was coming in.

I also never remove my hard top... not even the front panels. Maybe I should at least try reseating them...duh!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.