Electric fans on 70 Camaro

682 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jaydoug
moore42
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
While I am putting the Vintage Air kit on, I want to convert over to electric fans.

I figure i will just put LS1 fans on there since they should fit and I am familiar with them.

My question is about controlling. I would like them to work like the factory fans on a c5 corvette - a 3 relay system where you can have low speed fans (6V) and high speed fans (12V).

I would like the fans to come on low with the A/C, and then move to high with a coolant temperature switch.

The car has a 180 degree thermostat in it. So I figure a 185 ON/175 OFF switch would work.

Does this sound sufficient? Am I overthinking it?

Where should I put the coolant temp switch? I have done some research and seen several different opinions. Most say in the driver side head, where the sensor for the gauge is. To do this and keep the gauge, I would have to buy a brass T so I could run both gauge and switch.

Or I could put it in the heater hose coming off the thermostat? Again, some brass fittings and make it work.

If I followed the more simple approach and just bought a adjustable fan controller with A/C override then the fans would always be on high whenever the A/C is on, even going down the road.

Duncan Idaho
Smaller scale but when I added an electric fan to my triumph, I used one of the sensors like the one you linked but that you stick between the fine of the radiator. And I added an additional switched circuit the power the fan. And upgraded the alternator.

I used this fuse block inside the cab (I also added seat Heaters, halogen headlights, a couple of usb/12v ports and a higher rated circuit for a radio) a relay and a set of fuses inside the engine bay next to the battery to feed the new circuits.
https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/Fuseboxes/PC-8/pc-8.html

So basically I have a dedicated switch circuit of the appropriate load rating to power the fan.
moore42
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I used one of the sensors like the one you linked but that you stick between the fine of the radiator.

Any luck with it? Those sensors scare me. I had one in the past on another vehicle and it eventually caused a leak in the radiator where it wore through the tube.
Gigemags05
AG
Painless has a kit that I used on my jeep. It has multiple speeds.

The price is far from painless, though. It came with the jeep when I got it, although installed incorrectly.

Their customer service is outstanding. Due to the po misinstallong the controller he fried it. Painless replaced it for me at no charge and also answered some application specific questions I had. Install was very simple.

Painless 30140 Dual Fan Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XLE2LQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_tPEMzbDXAYP4F
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I had Flex-A-Lite black magic fans on my B Body Impala SS, wired to come on with the compressor and had an adjustable thermo switch that I inserted into the radiator fins.

That thing worked GREAT.
Jaydoug
AG
My twin electric fans on my '67 GTO are full ON at start, but the 400 is a heat monster and I'm in Texas. I let the engine thermostat control the temperature.

Runs at 185F all the time, maybe 190 in Houston traffic in August.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.