2018 F-150s hitting the lots?

2,199 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tailgatetimer10
Cardiag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have ideas on when the first batch of 2018 F 150s will arrive on lots? Looking to buy a new pickup before the 1st of October when I will need it for a road trip.

Looks like most dealers have placed orders and have VINs listed online but when I ask about 2018 arrivals they just say wouldn't I prefer to look at a 2017 now. My preference for the 2018 is 10 speed with the V8. Also the styling is much better IMO.

KellerAg98
put the miles on the old truck, then trade
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Production started 7/17/2017

I would imagine there are lots of holds for final checks etc.

I have seen them on the lot already.

Fleet will get a lot of the early rollout.
Cardiag
AG
Thanks 1ags. Looks like a one or two Houston dealers have begun posting photos of vehicles for sale.
meggy09
AG
10 spd sux
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Cardiag said:

Thanks 1ags. Looks like a one or two Houston dealers have begun posting photos of vehicles for sale.
Yeah. 2018 Raptors are on lots too.
Cardiag
AG
meggy09 said:

10 spd sux
What's wrong with the 10 spd? Initial reviews on the 2017 Ecoboost have been good.
meggy09
AG
I have it in my '17 ecoboost. After 15k it's fine, but maybe I'm just getting used to it. When I dropped my '16 boost off and immediately started driving the 10 spd I hated it. My biggest complaint about the ecoboost has always been throttle response. I drive I-35, mopac, 130, 1604, and 410 almost daily so merging/changing lanes and getting around slow/stopped traffic happens a lot. There are numerous times I punch it to jump over in a faster lane and the truck just goes nowhere for a few seconds.

I began to wonder in my last truck if it was more to do with a slow trans coupled with slight turbo lag, idk would need to compare to a 5.0, but the 10 spd seems to have made it slightly worse. Too many options for downshifting, spends time searching for a gear when I want to be accelerating.

Also it doesn't use 2nd gear. So in stop and go traffic if I'm idling along or slightly faster ~10 mph it will shift into 3rd and lunge forward getting up to ~20 on its own. That's annoying.

Realistically it doesn't "sux" just two things that bother me because of the number of times I encounter them. If you drive a normal amount of miles per year it's probably fine. Also I tow nothing with it, so that's probably a bright spot for the 10 spd I don't get to see.
03_Aggie
Does Sport Mode fix any of it?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Livernois can fix that throttle response....
Cardiag
AG
I had same issue with a 9 speed transmission on my MDX. Eventually I got used to it. I suspect your theory on turbo lag may be a good one. The MDX has a naturally aspirated so the time to down shifting is more or less fixed and you just adjust your driving habits accordingly.
meggy09
AG
Sport mode likely would help, but not sure I would like driving with it constantly on. I'm planning to check though. I'm doing mileage checks with the truck in 3 different configurations, half way through #2. 3rd will be sport.

I have seriously thought about a tune, but it's a fleet truck and not sure I want to tangle with those issues. My livelyhood and all.
How long had the trans been out? Any chance of update flash from ford?
The Lost
03_Aggie said:

Does Sport Mode fix any of it?

I've only used sport mode in my 17 2.7L ecoboost in the mountains and the down shift is really awkward, not sure how to describe it, but it's the only time driving the truck I've truly been able to tell it was downshifting. Sports mode is awesome for the mountains, I just don't think I'd use it daily.
lawless89
How's the MPG been in the 10speed?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Cardiag said:

I had same issue with a 9 speed transmission on my MDX. Eventually I got used to it. I suspect your theory on turbo lag may be a good one. The MDX has a naturally aspirated so the time to down shifting is more or less fixed and you just adjust your driving habits accordingly.
Honda has been having HUGE issues on the 9 speed, esp in the Odyssey, people are furious and want blood. There have been threats of a class action, though I've not seen anything yet.
meggy09
AG
Over 10,302.3 miles I used 496.4 gallons. So ~20.8 mpg. Best tank was 24.8 mpg and worst was 19.2

Truck is 3.5 ecoboost, XLT, 2wd, extended cab. It's hard to determine my driving type. High percentage highway, but also Austin/San Antonio traffic. Fair bit of idling in parking lots while I'm doing office type stuff.

I'm doing another 10k with start/stop disabled just for my curiosity, then another 10k with sport mode.

I'll post up final results. Half way through right now.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Wow. My mom has the 9 speed MDX and I enjoy it. It made me want the 10 speed in a truck..

What's your thoughts on the 10 speed
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
tailgatetimer10 said:

Wow. My mom has the 9 speed MDX and I enjoy it. It made me want the 10 speed in a truck..

What's your thoughts on the 10 speed
The ecoboost 3.5L 2017 I test drove was pretty good, it DOES take time getting used to the number of gears, but my LS460L had the 8 speed auto, so I was already accustomed to lots of shifting.

I dont have an issue with them, and its not like you have a choice, all 2018s except the 3.3L will have the 10 speed.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Ah that's great. I was really waiting for them to work out any kinks. Thanks for the info!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.