Gas vs. Diesel

2,493 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Txroper
Txroper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are y'all's opinion on a 3/4 ton gas vs. diesel? I have had Diesel engines for years and am looking at getting another truck. I really don't pull a trailer as much as I use to so I am thinking about going with a gas engine. I don't put a lot of miles on my current truck because I have a company vehicle so I really don't know if the extra expense for a Diesel engine is worth it. For those that have a 3/4 ton gas engine what type of mileage do you get unloaded? Ford or Dodge mileage. Thanks.
will.mcg
AG
There are about a billion recent threads discussing this topic. If you have a specific brand in mind that could get the discussion rolling.
Complete Idiot
Diesel weighs more
helloag99
Had a 6.2L gas F250 and got 11.X MPG

Have a F350 diesel and get 13.1 MPG

Drive it like I stole it
ghollow
AG
Do you need a 3/4 ton? Gas 1/2 tons get much better mileage.

That being said, I will own a 3/4 ton diesel for the rest of my life. I like the way they run and tow. I do more towing than the average truck owner.
PFG
AG
2017 F250
6.2 gas engine
4.30 gears

17,000+ miles

14.2 mpg
aad03
AG
Go diesel, you'll be glad you did. Especially if you tow occasionally. I get about 15.5 on my 2014 6.7 Super Duty, and I love the exhaust brakes when I tow.
Class of '03
JSKolache
AG
sounds like you need a Tundra
JB
AG
What size trailer are you pulling daily?
Txroper
AG
JB said:

Nothing daily but when I do pull its usually a 20 ft stock trailer, 16 ft flatbed or mostly a 2 horse slant load trailer. I used to rodeo every weekend (3 horse slant with a 10 ft short wall living quarters) so that's why I have a diesel. but sine I don't rodeo like I used to, just every so often, just wondering if I can drop the extra expense of a diesel and go with a gas engine. Not planning on keeping the big horse trailer.

Have actually thought of going with a half ton for the mileage when I am not pulling anything but I don't know if it will handle it when I am pulling.

I am not worried about the mileage when I am pulling, just when I am not pulling hence is why I am trying to figure out what is best; gas or diesel.
EskimoJoe
Txroper said:

JB said:

Nothing daily but when I do pull its usually a 20 ft stock trailer, 16 ft flatbed or mostly a 2 horse slant load trailer. I used to rodeo every weekend (3 horse slant with a 10 ft short wall living quarters) so that's why I have a diesel. but sine I don't rodeo like I used to, just every so often, just wondering if I can drop the extra expense of a diesel and go with a gas engine. Not planning on keeping the big horse trailer.

Have actually thought of going with a half ton for the mileage when I am not pulling anything but I don't know if it will handle it when I am pulling.

I am not worried about the mileage when I am pulling, just when I am not pulling hence is why I am trying to figure out what is best; gas or diesel.

The modern gasser will suit your needs and be cheaper to maintain as well. This is coming from a guy that likes his diesel as much as anyone.
PFG
AG
I've been very happy with my 6.2 SD. Both when towing and running empty.

There's no replacement for the power behind a diesel. But I enjoy running down the road and not worrying about a sensor shutting me down.
Corps_Ag12
AG
2016 Duramax with 17k miles, averaging 17 mpg, 85% highway.

Much better than my old half ton that struggled to get 14 mpg in the same type of driving.
Rexter
I had an '08 F250 deleted and tuned and pulled a 20' cargo daily. It pulled it like it wasn't there, and was a lot of fun to drive. Sold it when I didn't need it any more.

Now I'm on the hunt to replace it for towing 6 times a year. I've been checking out used GM trucks with an 8.1 and Allison transmission. They are rated at 455 on torque.

If you go used it's cheaper to get a 350/3500 than a 250/2500.
EskimoJoe
PFG said:

I've been very happy with my 6.2 SD. Both when towing and running empty.

There's no replacement for the power behind a diesel. But I enjoy running down the road and not worrying about a sensor shutting me down.

The unelected bureaucrats in the epa really made owning a modern diesel expensive. The old 5.9 mechanical cummins and even the old mercedes diesels were economical, had excellent longevity, and were simpler engines than their gasoline counterparts.
moore42
AG
EskimoJoe said:

The unelected bureaucrats in the epa really made owning a modern diesel expensive. The old 5.9 mechanical cummins and even the old mercedes diesels were economical, had excellent longevity, and were simpler engines than their gasoline counterparts.
I would argue that the consumer is just as much to blame for this. Ever since the turbo diesel became available to the light duty consumer, they have been doing everything to turn them up more and more. Not because its needed to tow, but mostly because rolling coal and black smoke is cool and bigger is better.

And in a quest to sell more trucks, manufacturers have turned it into a horsepower war when diesels of 10 years ago were sufficient. Who needs 450 hp and 900 ft-lbs to tow in a light duty truck?

Today's diesels are so complex with sensors on top of sensors, advanced turbo designs ($$$), and emissions crap that they are no longer as reliable as their ancestors of just a few years ago.

Meanwhile, gas engine options are as powerful AND efficient as ever, and now have the same torque as those diesels of yesterday with twice the hp. Modern transmissions make sure they always stay in their power band when its needed, and lope along when its not needed. And they are still relatively simple, cheap and reliable.
will.mcg
AG
Throw a gooseneck in a halfton with a big V8(ie HEMI or a Tundra) and you'll be happy. I pulled around a 16 stock trailer no problem with mine, when I hooked up to a four horse aluminum full of furniture my truck wasn't too happy but it got the job done the one time I needed it for that.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Owned V10, 7.3 and 6.7L Super Duties.

I loved the V10 but it was thirsty.

Love my 6.7L but also dont care about maintenance costs.
Silvy
AG
moore42 said:

I would argue that the consumer is just as much to blame for this. Ever since the turbo diesel became available to the light duty consumer, they have been doing everything to turn them up more and more. Not because its needed to tow, but mostly because rolling coal and black smoke is cool and bigger is better.

A podcast I listen to had a bit on why the EPA started cracking down on diesels.

Txroper
AG
will.mcg said:

Throw a gooseneck in a halfton with a big V8(ie HEMI or a Tundra) and you'll be happy. I pulled around a 16 stock trailer no problem with mine, when I hooked up to a four horse aluminum full of furniture my truck wasn't too happy but it got the job done the one time I needed it for that.
I have actually thought about doing that. Just don't think I would trust it enough.
CDUB98
AG
PFG said:

2017 F250
6.2 gas engine
4.30 gears

17,000+ miles

14.2 mpg

4.30 gears? You trying to pull down mountains?
mm98
AG
Nm

JSKolache
AG
Txroper said:

JB said:

Trolling? Semi-legit cowboy should already know all the answers to these questions...
Presley OBannons Sword
I started a thread like this a couple years ago and got roasted pretty hard because I have no real need for a diesel. I ended up buying a diesel anyways because it's big, loud, and awesome. I haven't regretted it for a second.
will.mcg
AG
Ain't nothing wrong with I'll polling or accepting advice from a group of strangers you trust. Even the king had advisors.
AgEng06
AG
This is exactly what I will do, hopefully sometime next year.
Txroper
AG
beefiedoubleoh said:

Txroper said:

JB said:

Trolling? Semi-legit cowboy should already know all the answers to these questions...
If I rodeo like I used to I wouldn't be even asking this question. If would be a diesel. No questions asked. I haven't had a gas truck since 1993 but thanks for your help and advice....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.