Hitch Drop & Length

800 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aad03
The Dog Lord
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got a 2017 Explorer XLT with the factory Class III Tow package and Appearance Package (20" wheels). Trying to figure out what drop and length I should get for my hitch. I'll only be hauling occasionally (u-hauls or possibly tandem axle utility trailers). From what I can see online, a lot of trailers have a coupler height of 17-18 inches (don't have one of my own anymore to measure). Top of my hitch receiver was about 22.5 inches, so I'm guessing I should get about a 4 inch drop. I figure that would work even after accounting for some sag once the trailer is connected.

Any suggestions? I never really thought about it much with my previous truck, but I never tow anything too heavy so it may not have mattered much. Should I just go with an adjustable hitch and call it a day?

I'm also wondering what hitch length I should get (haven't been able to find as much advice on how to determine this). I'll probably go with a 2 inch ball since that should fit any trailers I'd pull as well.
aggolfer
AG
go with the standard 1" drop receiver. 4" will be too low for an explorer for most applications. once you get weight on the rear end it will level out. 2" is most common but alot of small trailers have 1 7/8
GarlandAg2012
AG
I got an adjustable one because of similar concerns to the OP and while it's nice to be able to match to the trailer I'm certain a standard 1-2" drop hitch would work fine for UHaul and Utility trailer type stuff. My adjustable one has a good amount of heft to it which is nice except if I install it "right side up" it sets off the back up alarm so I leave it in upside down and flip it when needed.
aad03
AG
Get a B&W Tow and Stow hitch with a 2" and 1-7/8" ball. Adjustable drop length, folds out of the way when you don't need it. www.turnoverball.com

Also, get a BoltLock so nobody steals it.

This is my set up, and I love it.
Class of '03
The Dog Lord
AG
Thanks. I'll probably just go with a 1" drop setup and call it a day. It'll only be installed when it's needed anyway, so keeping it simple will help with storage when it's not in use.
JSKolache
AG
Or start with a straight 3 way. Get a drop later if you think you need it and/or hauling long distance
AgTech88
AG
aad03 said:

Get a B&W Tow and Stow hitch with a 2" and 1-7/8" ball. Adjustable drop length, folds out of the way when you don't need it. www.turnoverball.com

I noticed on the reviews for This unit some had problems with the holes or pins corroding and rusting stuck. Have you had any issues? I have a cheap harbor freight adjustable - but it is sloppy, heavy, and overall length requires longer chains and wiring - also makes it a serious shin buster! But no rust issues...
aggolfer
AG
rsmithtesiusa said:

aad03 said:

I noticed on the reviews for This unit some had problems with the holes or pins corroding and rusting stuck. Have you had any issues? I have a cheap harbor freight adjustable - but it is sloppy, heavy, and overall length requires longer chains and wiring - also makes it a serious shin buster! But no rust issues...

I have two of these, one is over 10 yrs old and no issues.
aad03
AG
I've had mine for almost 3 years, no issues at all. Works great. Mine has a 2" and a 2-5/16" ball. It tucks completely out of the way when not in use, and it's always there when you do need it. It's nice to know you're always ready to tow if need be.
Class of '03
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.