Tire/alignment question

1,355 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My truck was pulling pretty good to the right a while back and tire wear seemed more excess on one side vs the other. Truck was also shaking pretty good. Tires were 6 years old with a good amount of miles and also had what looked like a bubble in the tread on one of them so last week I bought four new tires.

Currently truck is driving fine and no noticeable pulling. My question is should I still go get an alignment even though I don't feel any shaking or noticeable pulling?

Truck is a 10' Sierra with 100k
sts7049
AG
if you haven't done it before, it wouldn't be a bad idea. just to be sure your new tires will wear as they should. but if it drives straight as an arrow it's probably not that important.

just make sure you are rotating them regularly.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
sts7049 said:

if you haven't done it before, it wouldn't be a bad idea. just to be sure your new tires will wear as they should. but if it drives straight as an arrow it's probably not that important.

just make sure you are rotating them regularly.
This.

Have alignment checked.

the most important thing on a truck is to cross the front to the rear, rears straight to the frront.
milkman00
AG
1ags, Can you explain why one method of rotation is better for rwd vehicles versus the opposite for fwd?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
milkman00 said:

1ags, Can you explain why one method of rotation is better for rwd vehicles versus the opposite for fwd?
Because the front tires of many pickup trucks and SUVs tend to nibble the inside of the tire and cause a sawtooth profile.

Also the right rear tire tends to wear faster than the left.

Crossing the front to rear allows the front tires to even out the nibbling as well as letting the highest wear wheel (right rear) a chance to wear all the tires evenly, extending tread life, promoting even tire wear and reducing the chance of radial pull and pulling due to uneven tire wear....

FWD cars need rotation because the rear wheels just kinda hang out and roll down the road. Rotating allows all four tires to wear evenly. The suspension geometry and general FWD design have much more weight over the front wheels. The rear axle generally will be lighter sprung and the wear pattern isnt the same as a RWD/AWD.

AustinCountyAg
so if I take it to the dealership will they charge me to "check" the alignment, or will they charge me the same whether they perform the alignment or not?
sts7049
AG
you'll get charged. but why go to the dealer? i think you can get a lifetime alignment at firestone.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
sts7049 said:

you'll get charged. but why go to the dealer? i think you can get a lifetime alignment at firestone.
This.

There are many places that can do an alignment better and cheaper.

Assuming you're in ATX, I cant recommend a place, but in Houston there are tons of shops that can align a car as good or better (and cheaper) than a dealer can. There shops that I go to that dealers send their cars to when they can't figure it out.
AustinCountyAg
I am in Austin County. Very limited in regards to shops that do alignments. I won't be driving an hour into Houston to get an alignment done...Their are several mom and pop shops around town, and a couple dealerships within 30 minutes of me. Those are my options.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I am in Austin County. Very limited in regards to shops that do alignments. I won't be driving an hour into Houston to get an alignment done...Their are several mom and pop shops around town, and a couple dealerships within 30 minutes of me. Those are my options.
Riverside tire center seems to have a good google reputation....
bevokilla
AG
To avoid starting another thread I have a quick question regarding this topic.

I noticed pretty severe shaking while braking on my car (2008 Infiniti M35 w/169k miles) last week. I thought it was the brakes but they were fine and they said it could be the tires. Took it to Discount and they said the front had some chop but the rears were fine. They moved the fronts to the rears but it still shaking while braking. He recommended I check the alignment or look to have the struts replaced.

Honestly, what are the chances its alignment vs other suspension parts? Should I get alignment done first and then see how it goes?
will.mcg
AG
What size wheels do you have? And discount balance or just rotate?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
bevokilla said:

I noticed pretty severe shaking while braking on my car (2008 Infiniti M35 w/169k miles) last week. I thought it was the brakes but they were fine and they said it could be the tires. Took it to Discount and they said the front had some chop but the rears were fine. They moved the fronts to the rears but it still shaking while braking. He recommended I check the alignment or look to have the struts replaced.

Honestly, what are the chances its alignment vs other suspension parts? Should I get alignment done first and then see how it goes?
Are these still the same brakes I installed like 5 years ago?
bevokilla
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

bevokilla said:

Are these still the same brakes I installed like 5 years ago?
No I have had them replaced at least twice since then. My stupid car eats brakes.
bevokilla
AG
will.mcg said:

What size wheels do you have? And discount balance or just rotate?
245 445/R18s and Discount just rotated them. I am scheduling an alignment but I was trying to see how likely it was that I need actual suspension work done. The car does not pull to either side but I think it has been a while since I had one done.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I would say rotors.
will.mcg
AG
You might try getting the balanced to see if it makes much difference. But it's probably not going to be the golden ticket. As 1ags says go for the rotors if they aren't too much money.
bevokilla
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

I would say rotors.
I just had the brakes fixed in March and Firestone inspected and said they are fine
ghollow
AG
Many places offer lifetime alignments, Firestone, Goodyear, NTB, Sears and others. I drive an F250 4WD truck and have alignment done about every 6 months. The tires for it cost too much to have them wear out prematurely.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
bevokilla said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

I would say rotors.
I just had the brakes fixed in March and Firestone inspected and said they are fine
Bring it by the house sometime.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.