New Jeep Wrangler Pickup

4,036 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by longeryak
Ogre09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LINK

I was excited about this product being released, especially with the announced engine options, but I'm not liking the looks in these spy pics. I hope this early mockup isn't close to final. The wheelbase is way too long, but I guess that's hard to avoid with 4 doors and a bed. I think moving both sets of wheels closer to the middle a little, with more front end and rear end overhang would look better and improve ground clearance and keep it from getting high centered easily. I guess that would hurt your approach angles though. Maybe it just needs a lift and some bigger tires.

Thoughts?
K Bo
AG
That first picture from the front left makes the wheelbase look reaaallllly long, though, it doesn't look as bad in the second. Trying to picture it in my head on 35"+ and I think I might like it.
AG
I think its primary purpose is overseas customers looking for a defender 130 replacement. Looks like very similar dimensions.
Centerpole90
AG
Can I get one in Red Tarp or Green Tarp? or does it only come in black tarp?
bmeaggie
AG
It's funny you post this. I'm a '17 JK owner and I bought a new Dodge car last weekend. I mentioned my Jeep to my sales guy and that I might sell it, and the salesman said to wait until after the new Jeeps come out because they are hideous. I figured he was exaggerating, but maybe they really are. That's bad news to hear coming from a guy who sells them and has had all the pre-launch sales training.

Also, the Jeep enthusiast crowd is the last group of people you want to surprise with drastic changes. If Chrysler messed this up, it will hurt them bad in pocket book and take a long time to recover.

Hey, if they really turn out to suck, you can always buy my '17 JKUR Hard Rock. It's got a 2.5" Rubicon Express lift with RUbicon Express/SuperFlex springs, shocks, and control arms. It has Fuel Boost 17x9 wheels and 35" BFG AT tires. It also has all the bells and whistles, and only 8000 miles. You could not tell it was a used vehicle except for the miles on the odometer.

(Just kidding of course; not for sale... yet!)
cohibasymas
AG
Lordy that is fugly
longeryak
bmeaggie said:

It's funny you post this. I'm a '17 JK owner and I bought a new Dodge car last weekend. I mentioned my Jeep to my sales guy and that I might sell it, and the salesman said to wait until after the new Jeeps come out because they are hideous. I figured he was exaggerating, but maybe they really are. That's bad news to hear coming from a guy who sells them and has had all the pre-launch sales training.

Also, the Jeep enthusiast crowd is the last group of people you want to surprise with drastic changes. If Chrysler messed this up, it will hurt them bad in pocket book and take a long time to recover.

Hey, if they really turn out to suck, you can always buy my '17 JKUR Hard Rock. It's got a 2.5" Rubicon Express lift with RUbicon Express/SuperFlex springs, shocks, and control arms. It has Fuel Boost 17x9 wheels and 35" BFG AT tires. It also has all the bells and whistles, and only 8000 miles. You could not tell it was a used vehicle except for the miles on the odometer.

(Just kidding of course; not for sale... yet!)
Ha ha ha ha.

He'll get a 20-45 minute webinar on the differences the week they ship. Every Jeepster that walks in will know more about it than the sales staff.

The second bolded part is a longstanding Jeep tradition; the CJ guys said it , the YJ guys said it, the TJ guys said it, and now the JK guys are. The JKU's 4 doors were a major departure and the JKU is the best selling Wrangler of all-time.

Where exactly are Wrangler fans going to defect too? There is no other vehicle in the same segment.

But worry not there is no radical departure in looks from the JK to JL. Some hood and side vents for the 2.0 turbo offering that is there to help CAFE numbers. Recognition that the Sahara is a mall crawler and thus is not modified for trail and now gets the Cherokee's LSD, slightly more raked windshield, slightly higher roof in recognition of how much taller the younger generations are, plus some changes in wheel wells and fenders to accommodate moving up to 35s and possibly even 37s without needing to mod those areas, and backup camera. Leaving the addition of ESS to the Pentastar as the main bitc**** point.

Maybe a few TJ styling elements used.

This week's leak.

Rendering of past leaks.

hatchback
AG
If they hadn't already, fender vents have jumped the shark now that they come from the factory on a Wrangler.
longeryak
One other note is the JK and JL will have 6 months of both being manufactured at the same time. 2018 JK's rumored to be called Jeep Classic.
Street Fighter
YouBet
AG
Terrible but this shouldn't be surprising.
permabull
AG
EskimoJoe
Centerpole90 said:

Can I get one in Red Tarp or Green Tarp? or does it only come in black tarp?

You can get a green tarp one. Just select the Baylor Edition option on your order form.
longeryak
JLWrangler forums are reporting the engine bay will be longer to accommodate the 8 speed transmission in the JL.
Javelina
AG
I think the JL looks pretty good.
Walter Kovacs
AG
Eh, looks okay to me. About what I expected. The mall crawlers will eat this **** up. I wonder how much of a premium the truck will have over your now standard 4 door.
bmeaggie
AG
What I've seen so far looks Just fine. Not so different from jk. Vents seem fine, but I'm already used to some since they are on my JK Hard Rock hood.

Sales guy at Dodge/jeep dealership last weekend also told me that there will be a deisel and a turbo 4 cylinder offered soon. He said the deisel was coming out later after the initial launch and was worried that too many customers would want to wait, hurting early sales numbers.

Either way, I'm glad to see more engine offerings.

I hope the turbo 4 isn't a dog. Would be nice to have a good gas mileage option for use as a daily driver. I average 16mpg on my '17 3.6 driving to/from work daily. It is a 4-door with 35's though.
longeryak
Caught test driving.

Shut up and take my money meme.
Walter Kovacs
AG
longeryak said:

Caught test driving.

Shut up and take my money meme.

If only. That's one of the infamous jeep cock teases. The jeep crew chief to be specific. 40's on Dana 60s.
longeryak
Walter Kovacs said:

If only. That's one of the infamous jeep cock teases. The jeep crew chief to be specific. 40's on Dana 60s.
You are spoiling the fun. I'm excited it was out testing.

Together-

longeryak
CAD leak-

Terk
AG
Wow. Wonder how that happened. Ive heard Jeep doesnt do the early spec release to aftermarket companies. I wonder how many JL bumper provisional patents applications will be sent out this week based on the frame drawings that leaked.
longeryak
robertf03 said:

Wow. Wonder how that happened. Ive heard Jeep doesnt do the early spec release to aftermarket companies. I wonder how many JL bumper provisional patents applications will be sent out this week based on the frame drawings that leaked.
Isn't this the first new Wrangler since the Italians took over? Present management may not view things the same. Like those 'spy shots' of the JT with the Crew Chief 'testing' coming out right as it is leaked that the JT will get all new 12 bolt Danas front and back. With that info it is clear that that shot was staged so you can see the JT and the Crew Chief have a lot of similar lines.

Walter Kovacs
AG
I think the Scrambler name and a diesel engine "leaked" with the files. Something like that.
longeryak
longeryak said:

robertf03 said:

Isn't this the first new Wrangler since the Italians took over? Present management may not view things the same. Like those 'spy shots' of the JT with the Crew Chief 'testing' coming out right as it is leaked that the JT will get all new 12 bolt Danas front and back. With that info it is clear that that shot was staged so you can see the JT and the Crew Chief have a lot of similar lines.

Rumors the JL debut is being pushed up from the LA Auto show to SEMA on 10/30.

JK production line shutdowns 3/31/18 to be converted to JT production. JT debuts Fall 2018 as a 2019 model year.

Tons of new pix with more camo off. You can see the lines now and a number of details. http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-drops-major-camo-revealing-nearly-all.1364/#post-9573
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.