Front wheel bearings w/out a press

2,239 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by redd38
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I understand that I would need a press to replace my front wheel bearings (to press the old bearing out and press the new bearing in). However, RockAuto sells Wheel Bearings & Hub Assembly. Am I correct in assuming that buying one of those will remove the need for a press?

These are what I'm looking at: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,2007,sentra,2.0l+l4,1433464,brake+&+wheel+hub
will.mcg
AG
You PROBABLY won't need a press to remove the old bearings from the old hubs & replace the bearings & seals. I am not familiar with Nissans. Yes if you buy the hub assemblies you won't have to press any bearing in but you will spend more money. Typically the hard part will or will not be removing the hub....just depends if it has seized up or not. Knocking out bearings/seals & replacing them is pretty easy. Eh, $20 vs. $50. Meh buy the assembly if you aren't scraping the cash together.
redd38
AG
So is the hub pressed in to the knuckle or is it bolted in? That's what I think I don't understand.
evan_aggie
AG
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=183066
MouthBQ98
AG
Dad and I always used a cold steel rod and mallet to tap the races out of the hub from the back side. Sometimes a big socket that was a bit smaller than the race diameter would work too. Just keep hammering all around the circumference of the race. You can install them the same way.

Just be careful what surfaces you are hitting the race on with the rod edge or end.
agwrangler2001
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Dad and I always used a cold steel rod and mallet to tap the races out of the hub from the back side. Sometimes a big socket that was a bit smaller than the race diameter would work too. Just keep hammering all around the circumference of the race. You can install them the same way.

Just be careful what surfaces you are hitting the race on with the rod edge or end.
Yes also sometimes it helps to put the races in the freezer first.
will.mcg
AG
I dunno. Looking at the hub online it appears to be bolted.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Nm
SCHTICK00
AG
agwrangler2001 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Yes also sometimes it helps to put the races in the freezer first.

This. Learned this lesson replacing the stick bearings on a 320 CAT excavator. Liquid nitrogen was the miracle worker.
tlh3842
AG
I went the replace the whole hub route vs just the bearing and I think it's worth a couple extra bucks. I've only seen a few different vehicles, but it seems like hubs are usually bolted on. Mine were
redd38
AG
I tried to replace the whole knuckle/hub/bearing assembly this morning and had to give up when I couldn't get the lower arm bolt disconnected from the knuckle. Guess I'm gonna have to pay the pros.
MouthBQ98
AG
You smack the side hard with a mallet while putting a little bit of pressure on it with a crowbar? Always works for me.
redd38
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

You smack the side hard with a mallet while putting a little bit of pressure on it with a crowbar? Always works for me.

I beat the **** out of it, sprayed a ton of PB Blaster on it, tried wedging it out. No luck.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
A ball joint separator and an impact wrench will pop it off. If you use a pickle fork, you may damage the ball joint or its dust boot.

That separator can be bought for under $20 or borrowed from O'Reilly for free.
redd38
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

A ball joint separator and an impact wrench will pop it off. If you use a pickle fork, you may damage the ball joint or its dust boot.

That separator can be bought for under $20 or borrowed from O'Reilly for free.

Well I wish the guy at O'Reilly would have mentioned that when I explained the problem to him. Guess I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
This is what you're looking for:

Rexter
On the Toyota you still have to press the assembly onto the knuckle. Everything I see says the Sentra is the same.
Drewmeister
AG

This is what you're looking for:

I don't think O'Reilly rents that style of tool, but Napa does, as part of a 4-piece (IIRC) kit. It's definitely the way to go if smacking the side of the knuckle doesn't dislodge it.
Silvy
AG
I have best results when I apply heat. Any damn thing that doesn't want to move gets the torch.
Agmechanic
AG
silverado_lover said:

I have best results when I apply heat. Any damn thing that doesn't want to move gets the torch.

Victor Wrench
agracer
AG
redd38 said:

I tried to replace the whole knuckle/hub/bearing assembly this morning and had to give up when I couldn't get the lower arm bolt disconnected from the knuckle. Guess I'm gonna have to pay the pros.
EDIT: NM...misunderstood.
redd38
AG
New issue...
I got the knuckle off the ball joint using the tool, but I couldn't get the axle out of the knuckle even with a tool specifically for that purpose. I think my CV joints are going out anyway so I'm just going to replace the whole axle. My car has ABS but I can't find any axles for my car that have an ABS ring, and can't find anywhere to buy just the ring for my car.

Does a Nissan Sentra not use an ABS ring? Or is it like in the hub instead of on the axle?
Drewmeister
AG

Have you tried this tool (which they rent for free)? It always worked great for me, although on one of them I had to slightly enlarge the holes to fit my lug pattern. I can't imagine that not doing the trick, especially if combined with penetrating oil and an impact wrench. (Also make sure the threads on the tool are clean and well-lubed -- this goes for any tool with a forcing screw.)

I've heard bad things about aftermarket axles causing vibrations and such. I'd lean toward replacing the CV joint if needed and keeping the OE axle shaft.

The ABS tone ring could be on the axle, the brake rotor, or the bearing, and may or may not be available separately. A service manual (or model-specific forum, Youtube, etc.) would be helpful.
redd38
AG
Drewmeister said:

Have you tried this tool (which they rent for free)? It always worked great for me, although on one of them I had to slightly enlarge the holes to fit my lug pattern. I can't imagine that not doing the trick, especially if combined with penetrating oil and an impact wrench. (Also make sure the threads on the tool are clean and well-lubed -- this goes for any tool with a forcing screw.)

I've heard bad things about aftermarket axles causing vibrations and such. I'd lean toward replacing the CV joint if needed and keeping the OE axle shaft.

The ABS tone ring could be on the axle, the brake rotor, or the bearing, and may or may not be available separately. A service manual (or model-specific forum, Youtube, etc.) would be helpful.

Yeah, I tried that tool, didn't work.

I'll keep that in mind about the aftermarket axle.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
redd38 said:

Drewmeister said:

Would you mind taking a photo and posting?

I just want to confirm there's not an axle nut or c clip you haven't removed.
MouthBQ98
AG
I have a Nissan 4x4 and the front CV just come right on out once I have removed the c-clips and etc from the outside. There's nothing else really retaining it. On my truck, the ABS ring is a separate piece, but a Sentra and Xterra are two quite different rides.
redd38
AG

redd38 said:

Drewmeister said:

Would you mind taking a photo and posting?

I just want to confirm there's not an axle nut or c clip you haven't removed.

I definitely took the axle nut off, I looked for a c clip or something on the back and didn't see anything. I'll get a picture of it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.