Looking for a cool weekend cruiser

5,778 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BigPuma
dodger02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
robertcope
How about an S2000? They're a ton of fun to cruise around in, top down, on a nice day. They're stupid reliable, too.
TxLawDawg
AG
Classic? Check.
Convertible? Check.
Cool? Check.
Cruiser? Check.

These both have the 4 C's baby, and the auctions end today. Pick one and make it happen.

1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

or

1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
Dr. Nefario
For a weekend cruiser, you might consider the 2002-2005 Thunderbird. You should easily be able to find one with under 50k miles well within your price range and they have a really nice ride.
permabull
AG
SparkE
Furlock Bones said:

Duncan Idaho said:

meggy09 said:

Polaris Slingshot

What is the current legal status of these in Texas? I have seen a fee around but I thought there was some pushback from the state saying they aren't motorcycles since you don't straddle frame

they are legal titled as motorcycles. in doing so, Polaris completely screwed over Ariel Atom owners who had their title's revoked.
I thought the law was changed in 2015 and that Slingshots are now "autocycles" under TX law requiring a only class C? I think some other 3-wheelers like Can-Am Spyder still require a class M but honestly I don't follow the three wheeled vehicle market too closely.
The Wonderer
AG
SparkE said:

Furlock Bones said:

Duncan Idaho said:

meggy09 said:

Polaris Slingshot

What is the current legal status of these in Texas? I have seen a fee around but I thought there was some pushback from the state saying they aren't motorcycles since you don't straddle frame

they are legal titled as motorcycles. in doing so, Polaris completely screwed over Ariel Atom owners who had their title's revoked.
I thought the law was changed in 2015 and that Slingshots are now "autocycles" under TX law requiring a only class C? I think some other 3-wheelers like Can-Am Spyder still require a class M but honestly I don't follow the three wheeled vehicle market too closely.
Correct.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2015/05/26/polaris-slingshot-texas-ban-reversed-production.html
ChoppinDs40
AG
robertcope said:

How about an S2000? They're a ton of fun to cruise around in, top down, on a nice day. They're stupid reliable, too.
looked into those as well. My exgf in highschool had one, sweet little car.
ChoppinDs40
AG
may not fit in my garage, lol
Buck O Five
AG
Dr. Nefario said:

For a weekend cruiser, you might consider the 2002-2005 Thunderbird. You should easily be able to find one with under 50k miles well within your price range and they have a really nice ride.

My uncle had one. 0-60 in 8 seconds if I remember right, about the speed of a Ford Taurus of the same year.
The Wonderer
AG
Buck O Five said:

Dr. Nefario said:

My uncle had one. 0-60 in 8 seconds if I remember right, about the speed of a Ford Taurus of the same year.
6.5 seconds. It's not a car built for speed. It was a Lincoln LS with a droptop body. Mom has an 2004. Drives nice. If you want something fairly cheap to maintain and rides well, they are good choices. They are not performance cars by any measure. If you are taller than 6', your head may hit the headliner of the softtop when it is up.
Silvy
AG
In other words, an extremely boring vehicle to consider it a weekend cruiser.
yestoast
You all have a very different definition of "weekend cruiser fun car" than I do.

I'd buy this tomorrow if I could sell my VW:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-toyota-land-cruiser-bj40-diesel/

I'd buy this the next day if it stayed under $20k and were silver (it won't, and it's not):

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1958-austin-healey-100-6-roadster/

Or I'd buy this if I wanted to die in an electrical fire:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1961-triumph-tr3a-3/
ChoppinDs40
AG
I love the BJ40 but would like it more if the top came off.

Maybe it does and I'm just a noob.
Aero95
AG

$17,500. Why not learn to cruise in 3 dimensions on the weekends?
Guitarsoup
AG
The Wonderer said:

Buck O Five said:

Dr. Nefario said:

6.5 seconds. It's not a car built for speed. It was a Lincoln LS with a droptop body. Mom has an 2004. Drives nice. If you want something fairly cheap to maintain and rides well, they are good choices. They are not performance cars by any measure. If you are taller than 6', your head may hit the headliner of the softtop when it is up.
For that type of car, I would take a Chrystler Crossfire SRT-6 over the Thunderbird. It is a supercharged V6 that gives you 330hp. 0-60 in 5.1.
The Wonderer
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The Wonderer said:

Buck O Five said:

Dr. Nefario said:

For that type of car, I would take a Chrystler Crossfire SRT-6 over the Thunderbird. It is a supercharged V6 that gives you 330hp. 0-60 in 5.1.
And has 20+ year old Mercedes technology and Mercedes parts.
Dr. Nefario
silverado_lover said:

In other words, an extremely boring vehicle to consider it a weekend cruiser.

Traditionally, that's the very definition of a weekend cruiser.
Silvy
AG
So, a slow, uncomfortable, & boring daily driver and a slow, comfortable, & boring weekend cruiser?

Lol
CATAGBQ04
AG
C5 Z06
TSJ
AG
1) get plane ticket to California

2) pick this chariot up https://autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=426591859&endYear=2018&pageLayout=list&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=1981&listingTypes=used&mmt=%5BDODGE%5BVIPER%5B%5D%5D%5B%5DSRT%5BSRTVIPER%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D

3) drive to vegas, live it up like papa georgio

4) come home ricccccccchhhhhhhhhhh
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
yestoast said:

You all have a very different definition of "weekend cruiser fun car" than I do.

I'd buy this tomorrow if I could sell my VW:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-toyota-land-cruiser-bj40-diesel/

This reminds me, I should probably go drive my FJ40 some when the cooler weather prevails...
BigPuma
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.